Question on visiting Peterhof

Been researching private 2-day itineraries and most mention lower and upper gardens but was wondering if they include inside the palace as well. Any comments or experience with this is appreciated.

We saw all of the gardens and the small palace by the water (I can't remember its name) when we were there in 2009. The palace itself was open but we did not go inside in order to have time to see Catherine's Palace, which was very impressive. We had a private tour for four people and saw an amazing amount of things over 2 days, but not inside Peterhof. I don't feel cheated in any way. Our guide was very receptive to what we wanted to see.

Agree with the post above...To see as much as you can in 2 days you have to prioritize...We too had an amazing 2 day active private tour with TJ Travel...Thanks to them we saw and did more than we ever imagined possible...Enjoy this amazing city!!!!

Check the ship's tour. I think they tour inside a bit more than the other tours. They are all a little different...the ship will not take you on the subway....but will do other things.... Cheers!

Our 2 day TJ private tour included about 90 minutes inside (well worth it) and 2 hours in the gardens (per our request). We wanted to see all the fountains (ask to see the Trick fountains, including the ones with the "magic stones"), and thought the time was well spent. Still had time for Catherine's palace and Hermitage, etc.

Been researching private 2-day itineraries and most mention lower and upper gardens but was wondering if they include inside the palace as well. Any comments or experience with this is appreciated.

Agree with Cathy and Ashland. Catherine's Palace is the super star for palace interiors (plus the Hermitage, too), while the Peterhof is the "great one" for outdoor gardens and fountains. Below are some of my pictures to give you a better idea for what to expect, see, love and get excited about. You can visit the Peterhof interiors, but most experienced people don't rate that option that highly compared to the other great things to do in and around this historic and unique city. There are lots and lots of gardens and fountains in these lower areas of the park as you move toward the area immediately setting on Finland Bay.

Reactions and other questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 90,245 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 74,321 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views where we ate outside and had our lunch.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof:

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

A carved stone statute in these historic and great gardens at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-StatueFount.jpg

This shows a fountain in front of the Mon Plaisir (from French for "my pleasure") Palace that Peter the Great located on the shore of the gulf and which had a terrace for this single-story brick building. This smaller palace was Peter’s favorite place to be and for being with his family and closest associates. Notice the small rainbow at the base of the fountain?:

PeterhofLowerFountBldg.jpg

PeterhofFlowersFount.jpg

All the advice we received from the 6 independent tour operators we contacted when planning our trip was to skip the main palace at Peterhof if you're going to Catherine Palace too.

But don't skip the small Peterhof palace by the water, Monplaisir. It is distinctly un-royal, more like a wealthy 17th-18th century European merchant's home. Very interesting, and worthwhile. Besides, it's only a short walk from there to the hydrofoil boat from or to the city (just across the street from the Hermitage), which is a great ride and should be taken at least one way.

Thanks to all of you for your replys and suggestions and thank you Terry for including your pictures. I have always enjoyed your pictures posted in various boards. Great job. :)

Our visit to Peterhof was fantastic...and like much of our travel we did it totally on our own without the expense of a tour or the long ride. We went down to the river docks right across the street from the Heritage and caught a Russian hydrofoil that took us right to the Peterhof dock. The fast river ride was fun, we met some very nice Russians on the boat (we did not see any other non-Russians) and loved our time at Peterhof (both inside and out).

Hank

I didn't just see it.

I was well & truly suckered into it. :D

JB :)

I'm sorry I missed that!

When we were there (was it really less than 2 weeks ago?), they were only catching kids in there.

We did the 2 day tour with SPB Tours 4/5 June and we did go inside Peterhof on the first day (although photos werent permitted). We then spent some time in the magnificent gardens and walked down to Peter the Great's Mon Plaisir (but not inside). We cant fault SPB Tours - their prompt and efficient emails and arranging of visas prior to the tour, the various experiences and sights- saw all that we had on 'our list' within the limitation of 2days, the palaces, churches, Fortress, the deepest and newest Metro station, local food at lunchtime and a guide who was superb - comprehensive knowledge, excellent command of the English language, flexibility to meet individual and group requests with patience and a sense of humour. Excellent value for money and they dont take any payment until the morning of the 2nd day!. The use of headsets made for a clear commentary enabling us to keep in touch with the guide without having to be in a tightly comtrolled group, important as its definitely "mass tourism" in that city! The final nice touch was that the owner, Vikoria came to see us at the end of the tour to thank us for choosing her company which just added to the personal touch. (I also meant to add that there were just 16 of us in a van which was great - not those large 45 seater buses).

Thanks to all of you for your replys and suggestions and thank you Terry for including your pictures. I have always enjoyed your pictures posted in various boards. Great job.

Appreciate so much from our California friend such kind, nice comments and wise judgements on my pictures, posts, etc. It helps make my day, especially being in a part of Ohio where we are now suffering with no electric power during a big heat wave. We'll try to survive.

On the "surprise" fountain for children (of all ages), here a little of my visual sample, plus more from this wonderful Peterhof.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 90,366 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 74,603 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

These are the surprise fountains that go off on the hour to the delight of kids and others who enjoy such fun at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-SurpriseFountains.jpg

Here are more of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg.:

PeterhofTopFountCrossView.jpg

PeterhofLowerCanalUp.jpg

PeterhofFountFlowers.jpg

Another angle and view of the fountains and water from the top level at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

One of the gold-covered towers of the Palace at the Peterhof. Pretty spectacular, right?:

1A-StP-PeterhofTowers.jpg

Appreciate so much from our California friend such kind, nice comments and wise judgements on my pictures, posts, etc. It helps make my day, especially being in a part of Ohio where we are now suffering with no electric power during a big heat wave. We'll try to survive.

]

Sorry to hear of your extreme weather and power outages. We can also be considered your Ohio friend as my wife and I were born and raised in Akron and moved to California in 1966. Hang in there as better weather is on the way:) Thanks for the pictures of Peterhof gardens.

Archived