Discovery Card 10% cash back booking offer + double cash back redemptions

LMaxwell

If you have a Discover card check out your offers; 10% cashback if booked through Discover, and they have double cash back redemptions; meaning you can use, say, $80 of your cashback rewards in your pending rewards for a $160 credit towards a balcony room.

Thanks for posting.

Copied from the Discover site:

Expires 08/31/2017

Earn a 10% Cashback Bonus when you book any 6 night or longer Carnival cruise vacation in a balcony stateroom or higher with Cruise and Vacation Desk by 08/31/2017.

If you have a Discover card check out your offers; 10% cashback if booked through Discover, and they have double cash back redemptions; meaning you can use, say, $80 of your cashback rewards in your pending rewards for a $160 credit towards a balcony room.

Can I hope that they redo this reward so I can book once the beards at work decide when I'm getting my bonus? The booking price is the same as Carnival, so 10% off would be nice!

I wish they would have an offer like Amex where you don't have to book through them.

Amex offers different discounts if you book through them; though I agree I like the Amex way of adding the offer to the card.

Can I hope that they redo this reward so I can book once the beards at work decide when I'm getting my bonus? The booking price is the same as Carnival, so 10% off would be nice!

If you are booking far enough out, and don't book early saver, take advantage now and if you can't make the trip cancel before penalty time. No way to know if or when an offer will be active again

I always book through Discover. First I get the best price after checking the Carnival website. They always find it too. The 10% is good for Carnival through Aug 31. You must book at least a 6 night cruise. I've used the rewards dollars many times but when you come right down to it you could just use the 5% and your rewards dollars (unmatched) to pay your bill down. Here is something I just did today as a matter of fact. I booked a cruise Early Saver VIP for one person! I only had to pay one deposit. (it is nonrefundable however) - when I add the 2nd person on I have to pay the taxes since on Carnival they charge the same as for two people except the taxes. But heck you save paying another deposit. The only thing is final payment with Discover is due 10 days before Carnival has their final payment due. And you still get your 1% for using your Discover card to boot on the whole amount charged - the 10% is just good on part of the charge for those who don't know.

Never have booked through Amex but I do love the $100 off a $500 charge and the fact that I can book anyway I want to with that.

This is interesting as I have an American Express card I never use. With Discover you can match your rewards but this sounds much better as Discover limits you to the type of cabin you book and the number of days - example 5 night cruises don't get the 10% and the 10% is not on the taxes or port charges. Do they always offer this for Carnival?

This is interesting as I have an American Express card I never use. With Discover you can match your rewards but this sounds much better as Discover limits you to the type of cabin you book and the number of days - example 5 night cruises don't get the 10% and the 10% is not on the taxes or port charges. Do they always offer this for Carnival?

Log in to your Amex account and scroll down to offers or view more offers. It will show you them but each must be added to the card before you can redeem it. Current Amex offer is $100 off of $500 for Carnival and other affiliated brand lines. If you have a spouse with a card they can setup for an online login and they may have the offer and you can double up. Saving $200 on $1K of payments on any length or type of cruise is exceptional.

The Amex offers do tend to rotate and have expiration dates. I have seen the Carnival one more frequently than I have seen NCL or Royal Caribbean, but those do come up from time to time.

The 10% on Discover is just off the cruise fare (the published per person rate commonly used between all travel sites) and does not include taxes or fees. I don't know if it is routinely offered or not. Doubling a cash back reward on longer cruises or OV or balcony rooms is nice though.

I'd probably try to maximize the discounts through Discover for the booking and paying of the cruise, and then use my Amex offers to purchase onboard refundable credit on the same booking. Purchase $500 of OBC, pay net $400 out of pocket to Amex for that. On ship collect $500 back in cash.

I'd probably try to maximize the discounts through Discover for the booking and paying of the cruise, and then use my Amex offers to purchase onboard refundable credit on the same booking. Purchase $500 of OBC, pay net $400 out of pocket to Amex for that. On ship collect $500 back in cash.

Great info. The Discover matching rewards is great and I always have used it but technically the $80 to match you are still using $80 of your rewards that could simply be used to pay your bill and I think that is the max for 7 days balcony. I went online and read the fine print for Amex and I thought it said something about won't apply for purchases onboard but I could be wrong. Regardless I am going to have hubby go on line and investigate Amex for sure! Thanks! And Discover still gives you 1% of the total too for the full charge or so I've been told! I also checked to make sure purchasing a Carnival Gift Card was eligible for 1% back from Discover. A penny saved is a penny earned :-)