Train from london Gatwick to Southampton

SSCAF001

Hello to everyone

I will board Queen Victoria on August 10. I will land into London Gatwick on Saturday 9 10h15am. I have booked a train ticket from LGW to Southampton @ noon. Can you tell me whether I should expect a very busy service with some issues to find a proper place for my 7 pieces of luggage? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello to everyone

I will board Queen Victoria on August 10. I will land into London Gatwick on Saturday 9 10h15am. I have booked a train ticket from LGW to Southampton @ noon. Can you tell me whether I should expect a very busy service with some issues to find a proper place for my 7 pieces of luggage? Thank you.

The train should be ok but there won't be many places to store your baggage. Some will go on the overhead rack but the remainder will need to be kept by your seats.

Hello to everyone

Southern Railway do have dedicated end of compartment luggage racks on some trains, with overhead racks and some space between the seats, usually the 2nd and/ or 3rd Carriage on trains using Gatwick.

They do get busy due to the locations they stop at, also being a Saturday will not help and school Holidays. Journey Time will be around 1hr 50mins.

With 7 pieces of luggage , Good luck and keep an eye on them all !

see appendix B of National Rail Conditions of Travel.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/NRCOC.pdf

I doubt any Guard will stop you, but in their conditions they state 3 pieces of Luggage !

Edited by Pennbank

Hello to everyone

Probably lots of people with luggage will be getting off at Gatwick so there may be some space on the luggage racks but how on earth will you get 7 pieces onto the train? We travel to Southampton regularly by train and would find it impossible to manage that amount of luggage. The train stops for a very short time and there will be lots of others getting on and off at the same station. I strongly advise you consider booking a car to meet you at Gatwick to take you to Southampton. I'm sorry to be so negative but we genuinely use trains a lot and I am giving you advice based on my own experience of trains in this country.

Probably lots of people with luggage will be getting off at Gatwick so there may be some space on the luggage racks but how on earth will you get 7 pieces onto the train? We travel to Southampton regularly by train and would find it impossible to manage that amount of luggage. The train stops for a very short time and there will be lots of others getting on and off at the same station. I strongly advise you consider booking a car to meet you at Gatwick to take you to Southampton. I'm sorry to be so negative but we genuinely use trains a lot and I am giving you advice based on my own experience of trains in this country.

I would agree. 7 items of luggage, if they are indeed actual luggage items and not tote bags or shoulder bags and the likes, will be a heck of a lot to manage and get on the train. I would not envy you trying to do this…

I have to agree with the previous two posters, despite being a fan of train travel, I would not consider trying to take seven pieces of luggage on a train (unless there were seven people to carry/look after it all ;) ).

Only if the train service originates at Gatwick and terminates at Southampton, would I give this serious thought. Even then I'd be very worried about luggage being stolen en-route at intermediate stations.

If you put the luggage on seats next to you, passengers could (quite rightly) ask you to move it so they can sit down (none of the cases has bought a ticket). Then it is at the end of a carriage where it can be difficult to watch all the time.

It is almost inevitable that one or more pieces will either be left on the platform as you are boarding, or left on the train as you are getting off (trains do not hang about, sometimes as little as one minute at a station).

And in almost two hours on the train, you may want to "pop to the loo". You can't take all the cases with you!

Please reconsider.

Book a (large) car for yourself and your seven pieces of luggage.

Good luck!

Edited by pepperrn

Although almost all of our travel in Britain is by train, I make an exception for trains to or from Southampton when we have luggage. We have done the Southampton-Gatwick route with a lot less luggage and we are not likely to repeat it. Long distance trains have ample luggage space, especially in first class, but Southern is essentially a commuter railway. The Gatwick-Southampton trains are normally only three carriages and splurging on first class is of no help because the seating is basically the same and there is no luggage space at all. Even though we had our usual first class Britrail passes, we sat in standard class because of the luggage issue.

Another consideration is the logistics of handling your luggage in the stations. If you do take this train with seven pieces of luggage, it is best to advise Southern in advance. Even if you don't, there are platform staff in both Gatwick and Southampton stations and they have assisted us with our modest amount of luggage, even without requesting it.

Most of the lifts to platforms at Gatwick are not in the main station, but accessed by the secondary entrance. See the station map here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/GTW/details.html

At Southampton, the Gatwick trains normally use the "island platform" - platforms 2 and 3 - so you will need the lifts to get to the taxi rank.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/SOU/details.html

Much as it pains me not to recommend rail travel, I must join others and advise against it based on my experience. An alternative to the car service - like many on this forum we have often used Smiths for Airports - is the Cunard coach connection which is cheap if booked well in advance.

Many thanks for all your answers. I think I may reconsider my initial plan even if the seven pieces of luggage are for 2 people of which 2 are rather small.

Do you know where I can find the schedule of the Cunard bus between gatwick and Southampton and do you whether it is feasible knowing that I will arrive in gatwick 1 day before embarking Queen Victoria.

Thanks again.

Many thanks for all your answers. I think I may reconsider my initial plan even if the seven pieces of luggage are for 2 people of which 2 are rather small.

Do you know where I can find the schedule of the Cunard bus between gatwick and Southampton and do you whether it is feasible knowing that I will arrive in gatwick 1 day before embarking Queen Victoria.

Thanks again.

I suggest a car

Thanks again.

I found this info in the FAQs on the Cunard website.

Can I book a transfer to and from a UK port?

For cruises which sail out of Southampton and fly back into the UK, or vice versa a transfer is generally provided from the airport to the ship in Southampton, or vice versa.

For all other cruises, you can book a coach transfer unless you have chosen a coach transfer as one of the benefits* available at time of booking.

All coaches are equipped with reclining seats, are non smoking and normally have a WC and washroom. In addition, comfort stop(s) are made en route. Coaches also have wheelchair access via a lift or ramp.

Please contact Cruise Connect for pick up point information, booking or for further details

(Telephone: 0845 052 0537. Email: cruiseconnect@intercruises.com)

You will have to say overnight at Gatwick, where there are a number of hotels, if you do this and there may still be a limit on the number of cases you're allowed. I'm in the camp who advise booking a private transfer and then if money is an issue book a cheap hotel in Southamptin (e.g. Ibis Budget).

I found this info in the FAQs on the Cunard website.

Can I book a transfer to and from a UK port?

For cruises which sail out of Southampton and fly back into the UK, or vice versa a transfer is generally provided from the airport to the ship in Southampton, or vice versa.

For all other cruises, you can book a coach transfer unless you have chosen a coach transfer as one of the benefits* available at time of booking.

All coaches are equipped with reclining seats, are non smoking and normally have a WC and washroom. In addition, comfort stop(s) are made en route. Coaches also have wheelchair access via a lift or ramp.

Please contact Cruise Connect for pick up point information, booking or for further details

(Telephone: 0845 052 0537. Email: cruiseconnect@intercruises.com)

You will have to say overnight at Gatwick, where there are a number of hotels, if you do this and there may still be a limit on the number of cases you're allowed. I'm in the camp who advise booking a private transfer and then if money is an issue book a cheap hotel in Southamptin (e.g. Ibis Budget).

Thanks for your proposal. The issue is that on cruise connect, there is no possibility out of gatwick. Heathrow is proposed as well as London but nothing from gatwick airport. Then you can only travel the day of your departure. I am arriving to gatwick on Saturday August 9, embarking Queen Victoria the next day. Having paid 16 GBP for two by train I think I will stick to my original plan. This is a direct train to Southampton. We will have 5 pieces of luggage + 2 carry on. I think we can manage. We will ask southern railway employees to help us to get our luggage onto the train if needed. The price gap is too huge compared with a private car and I cannot find another convenient solution by bus allowing us to take 5 pieces of luggage + 2 carry on.

Thank you again for all the answers I have received. Best regards. Christophe.

Thanks for your proposal. The issue is that on cruise connect, there is no possibility out of gatwick. Heathrow is proposed as well as London but nothing from gatwick airport. Then you can only travel the day of your departure. I am arriving to gatwick on Saturday August 9, embarking Queen Victoria the next day. Having paid 16 GBP for two by train I think I will stick to my original plan. This is a direct train to Southampton. We will have 5 pieces of luggage + 2 carry on. I think we can manage. We will ask southern railway employees to help us to get our luggage onto the train if needed. The price gap is too huge compared with a private car and I cannot find another convenient solution by bus allowing us to take 5 pieces of luggage + 2 carry on.

Christophe

I am sure you will manage, Just remember the 2nd or 3rd Coach may have end of carriage luggage racks,

Other than the train guard who will be busy checking that everybody has got off the train safely and everybody who wants to travel is on the train, there is unlikely to be any staff on the platform. The advice given here is as a result of the experience we have had at the stations, but I hope your journey goes well. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

We have done it - two people with one pull-along case plus one small carry on each. We usually put cases near the doors with case handles extended and secured behind yellow bars. We sit as close as possible to cases and keep them in view especially when doors open at stations. With 7 between two people it would be a challenge not just on the train but at the stations. I can understand the big difference in cost and if you go ahead on the train I would suggest contacting Southern before hand to see if you can get special assistance. The station staff at Southampton have been helpful in our experience if they are around. Gatwick station platform is busy with many people getting on and off also with luggage. Good luck.

Thank you for all your answers. Anyway even if I might not have any assistance from people on the platform, the train will not leave as long as I have put all my pieces of luggage inside the train! It's a question of safety. During the ride I will stay close to my luggage to make sure nobody take them at an intermediate station. Best regards. Christophe.

I have to concur with the doubts expessed.

I have done the reverse journey Southampton to Gatwick and there is little or no space for luggage.

If a car is out of the question then try National Express. http://www.nationalexpress.co.uk. depending on time the fare for two is £36.00 and the luggage is loaded on the coach, no lugging around.

Im not sure of times but really is a better option.

Sounds a fun way to begin an expensive cruise.:D

Yes it is. What I find difficult to understand is why a simple journey by train seems to be so complicated! Living in Switzerland it is very difficult for me to imagine than boarding a train with 3 pieces of luggage per pax is considered as being such a challenge! What is it so specific with the UK?

Yes it is. What I find difficult to understand is why a simple journey by train seems to be so complicated! Living in Switzerland it is very difficult for me to imagine than boarding a train with 3 pieces of luggage per pax is considered as being such a challenge! What is it so specific with the UK?
I think the problem lies in the locality you'll be in and type of train you're going to use.

We do have long distance trains with plenty of luggage space, however you're going to be on trains, and on routes, that are geared up for commuter traffic in and around London and the south east, not long-distance leisure travel.

Even further out, beyond Southampton, (and certainly at Gatwick) the "London Commuter Effect" on transport can be felt, both on trains and on the roads. Unless you know the south east well, this is hard to describe. I can only say you shouldn't base your plans on the railways you know, but listen to some of the posters here who have experience (in some cases twice daily) of travelling by commuter train in the UK.

I travel by train quite often, both long-distance and on local services, and have noted when passengers do have luggage, it is rarely more than one bag per person.

I've taken two suitcases on the train to Southampton (to board QM2), and rapidly realised that other people, knowing that the train will not stop for long, are quite impatient to get on or off the train without me delaying them even for seconds while I manhandle two suitcases about in tight doorways :eek: . I cannot imagine doing it with seven...

I hope you'll report back after the voyage is over, saying that there were no issues on the train at all :)

I wish you all possible luck, and a huge Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

What pepperrn says is so true. Trains in the south east particularly routes to/from London are very busy as are the roads. I know, I live there. I have used trains in Switzerland and other countries and there is a difference. I said before that station staff at Southampton have been quite helpful but closer to London that is not generally the way - sadly. As regards National Express coaches, that is a good option as the palaver of getting luggage on and off is done by the driver. Unfortunately I think there is a limit on the number of pieces of luggage on NE but if there is space and you get a helpful driver it may be ok. It will be good to hear your experience.

Well, I can't see the point either. All airport trains in the world are the commuter type. Why on earth should we not take luggage when using them?

If the local commuters don't like others taking luggage they should just avoid the trains and jam in a car.

I have used these trains with luggage and I will go on doing this. The real dissapointment is that that trains are not constructed to carry travellers _with_ luggage.

We always have to travel from Gatwick to get to Southampton. We have had some really awful experiences over the years so now we use National Express coaches. it is easier.

For a start you do not have to navigate stairs/ elevators to get to platforms. It is just about the same amount of time as there are no stops or maybe two very quick ones.

They run on time and the bus station in Southampton is closer to the hotels.

Our train journeys have been horrific. Twice the train broke down and it took us 5 hours to get to Southampton with all our luggage. Once a tree had fallen on the lines and we had to change trains five times it was a nightmare as we live overseas and had done a 5 hour flight before reaching. Gatwick plus lots a luggage as we are world cruisers.

So after four dreadful journeys in January may I add, we now use the National Express coach service.

We returned from this years world Cruise in May and went back to Gatwick on the National Express as well.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans. Hope it goes well for you. Gatwick station is very busy and finding a porter in hard enough, and the people are all dashing around so it is not a good experience when you have a lot of luggage to take care of. The bus is so much better, trust me. Good luck with it.

Edited by maggiemou

We always have to travel from Gatwick to get to Southampton. We have had some really awful experiences over the years so now we use National Express coaches. it is easier.

For a start you do not have to navigate stairs/ elevators to get to platforms. It is just about the same amount of time as there are no stops or maybe two very quick ones.

They run on time and the bus station in Southampton is closer to the hotels.

Our train journeys have been horrific. Twice the train broke down and it took us 5 hours to get to Southampton with all our luggage. Once a tree had fallen on the lines and we had to change trains five times it was a nightmare as we live overseas and had done a 5 hour flight before reaching. Gatwick plus lots a luggage as we are world cruisers.

So after four dreadful journeys in January may I add, we now use the National Express coach service.

We returned from this years world Cruise in May and went back to Gatwick on the National Express as well.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans. Hope it goes well for you. Gatwick station is very busy and finding a porter in hard enough, and the people are all dashing around so it is not a good experience when you have a lot of luggage to take care of. The bus is so much better, trust me. Good luck with it.

When I read your message I thought you were talking about a trip in ...an emerging country!!!

So you convinced me : I will take the train! I promise I will let you know how it went. Best regards.

When I read your message I thought you were talking about a trip in ...an emerging country!!! So you convinced me : I will take the train! I promise I will let you know how it went. Best regards.
As I've said above, I wish you luck and sincerely hope that all goes well, and that there are no issues on the train at all :) .

If you prove that my caution in the posts above was misplaced, I will be delighted :). I look forward to reading your reports that I was wrong.

(When I used to travel regularly from Hove (actually) to London Victoria, many years ago, it frequently seemed that every single one of the 13,614,409 people who were estimated to live in the "London commuter area"... were on the train with me... :eek: :eek: )

Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Where there is a will, there is a way… : )

Joining Pepper in wishing you a sincere "good luck."

Dear Husband and I are "do-it-yourselfers" and have never felt this detracted from our travel experiences. There is a sense of accomplishment in meeting challenges.

We have never, however, taken the train with so many pieces of luggage.

On our longest voyage, 36-days, we took a total of 4 suitcases--2 larger and 2 more medium is size---all we were able to walk-off the ship by ourselves.

Do any of your pieces of luggage strap to each other, so you can handle more than one bag with each hand? Maybe, one of your bags is a back-pack? Maybe, a couple others can be strapped over your shoulders?

All seven bags aren't full-sized wheeled suitcases, are they?

Obviously, as much as you can consolidate and wheel in a single hand the easier your task will be.

Let us know how both train and voyage work out. Happy Sailing !!!!!