Getting to the airport for a 6:50am flight in Rome

notes4theheart

Hopefully, you are not talking about catching that flight on disembarkation day…

Seriously, I'd stay at the airport Hilton. You can walk to the pickup spot for T5 (if flying nonstop to the US/Canada) or to any of the other terminals. The earliest train to FCO from Rome is 5:01 from Tiburtina - way too late for you.

A lot of people recommend the airport hotel route, but you don't have to do that if you prefer to stay in Rome. A taxi to the airport in the early a.m. will run about 60 euro and your hotel can arrange it for you in advance.

I really like staying in Rome proper and to me it doesn't make any difference timewise if I get another 40 minutes of sleep -- given I have to get up at an extremely unpleasant hour whichever option I choose.

I would not miss staying in Rome on my last night. And I especially wouldn't go to the hassle of changing hotels if you are already settled into one -- that can eat up a lot of time.

Thanks so much! We are staying for a bit in Rome after the cruise but the flight at 6:50am is $400 per person cheaper so we are leaning towards that. We will look into the airport terminal hotel.

No problem i stayed in an apartment near Campo Di Fiori and had a 610am flight.I made a reservation with Romecabs before i left the county and they were spot on. In fact they were about 15 minutes earlier than i had asked for. Im taking the same flight and staying in central Rome again next year and will use them again. Even for one night id do the same.

Just keep in mind that if you stay in downtown Rome that you still need to allow 45 minutes to get to the airport and you want to get to the airport at least 2 hours before your flight.

Be sure to consider that in your decision.

Keith

Just keep in mind that if you stay in downtown Rome that you still need to allow 45 minutes to get to the airport and you want to get to the airport at least 2 hours before your flight.

Be sure to consider that in your decision.

Keith

RomeCabs picked us up at our apartment at 330am for our 615am departure. We were one block from Campo Di Fiori. Not sure if it was normal or not but ive never been to a big city airport that was so quiet before our flight. It was a Monday morning on KLM to Amsterdam.

By the time you factor in that one still has to get from the Hilton to the airport (I guess via their shuttle, since the reviews I read suggest the walkway takes folks to Terminal 3, which is not where US flights check in), I don't think you could possibly be saving more than 20-30 minutes, tops, by staying there vs having a taxi drop you right at T5.

Edited by cruisemom42

A lot of people recommend the airport hotel route, but you don't have to do that if you prefer to stay in Rome. A taxi to the airport in the early a.m. will run about 60 euro and your hotel can arrange it for you in advance.

I really like staying in Rome proper and to me it doesn't make any difference timewise if I get another 40 minutes of sleep -- given I have to get up at an extremely unpleasant hour whichever option I choose.

I would not miss staying in Rome on my last night. And I especially wouldn't go to the hassle of changing hotels if you are already settled into one -- that can eat up a lot of time.

I agree with you completely!!!! Would never waste my last night in Rome in an airport hotel!!!!:eek:)

softail, we also use Rome Cabs and your time is consistent with what I would do.

The question is whether the OP is fine with that time which means getting up earlier.

Keith

Tru Dat Keith Im not a fan of getting up so early but im good with it since i get to stay in one of my favorite cities. Larry

Edited by softail

By the time you factor in that one still has to get from the Hilton to the airport (I guess via their shuttle, since the reviews I read suggest the walkway takes folks to Terminal 3, which is not where US flights check in), I don't think you could possibly be saving more than 20-30 minutes, tops, by staying there vs having a taxi drop you right at T5.

You don't have to take a Hilton shuttle. When you walk to the terminal area, there is a pickup spot for the T5 shuttle. The Hilton shuttle is actually the one from the HGI off-site. It does stop at the Hilton, but it's not dedicated. If it's filled up at the HGI, no shuttle stop for that run.

I stayed at the Hilton FCO the last time because I was coming from Florence and I do not do well at all getting up earlier than 7am for anything - ask my coworkers when I get stuck with the 6:45am shift :eek::) My body rejects it and I'm totally "off feed" for the day.

You don't have to take a Hilton shuttle. When you walk to the terminal area, there is a pickup spot for the T5 shuttle. The Hilton shuttle is actually the one from the HGI off-site. It does stop at the Hilton, but it's not dedicated. If it's filled up at the HGI, no shuttle stop for that run.

I stayed at the Hilton FCO the last time because I was coming from Florence and I do not do well at all getting up earlier than 7am for anything - ask my coworkers when I get stuck with the 6:45am shift :eek::) My body rejects it and I'm totally "off feed" for the day.

I guess my point is that if the taxi ride from Rome central takes 40 minutes (at that time of day it definitely wouldn't be more) but is a point-to-point service....

And if the walk to the pick-up spot at T3 takes about 10 minutes (15 minutes according to some accounts on TA), plus whatever wait you have for the T5 shuttle, plus the couple of minutes the shuttle takes to reach the T5 terminal....

Then you are looking at about a 20-25 minute difference at most.

You still have to be at the airport at the given time, and you still have to get up and get ready -- the only difference is the transport times.

-----

I am totally NOT a morning person either. But the OP is going to have to get up in the wee hours to make a 6:15 flight any way you look at it. I don't think the 20-25 minutes is going to make any difference to my body clock one way or the other. :D It's misery either way. But at least I can temper that misery with spending the evening in Rome.

I guess my point is that if the taxi ride from Rome central takes 40 minutes (at that time of day it definitely wouldn't be more) but is a point-to-point service....

And if the walk to the pick-up spot at T3 takes about 10 minutes (15 minutes according to some accounts on TA), plus whatever wait you have for the T5 shuttle, plus the couple of minutes the shuttle takes to reach the T5 terminal....

Then you are looking at about a 20-25 minute difference at most.

You still have to be at the airport at the given time, and you still have to get up and get ready -- the only difference is the transport times.

-----

I am totally NOT a morning person either. But the OP is going to have to get up in the wee hours to make a 6:15 flight any way you look at it. I don't think the 20-25 minutes is going to make any difference to my body clock one way or the other. :D It's misery either way. But at least I can temper that misery with spending the evening in Rome.

All true. But, I can still spend my last night in Rome and stay out at the FCO Hilton. I just take their comp shuttle into town. When I want to come back to the hotel, depending on the time of night, I can 1)take the shuttle back or 2)take the train back or 3)take a taxi back. I'm a bit of a worry-wart when it comes to being sure I'm at the airport with time to spare (easy to do when you can go into a lounge). Being at the airport hotel, I'm not going to worry about a possible accident on the road, missing my alarm clock and starting out to the airport late, my taxi not showing up…

Even when I have a morning flight from my home airport (before 10am), I drive down the 30 minutes from my house to the airport and stay at one of the nearby hotels. It's especially so in the winter - an easy 30 minute drive can turn into a 2 hour nightmare (or even a closure) if it snows. Sometimes, one of the many semis that travel my road overnight have an accident (a very steep 6% decline) and the road is closed and the only detours available add an hour to the drive (provided you can turn around). So, I guess it's just part of my DNA to want to be near the airport to start the trips :D

The last time I was in Rome and for this time as well I got the Lufthansa 12:05 PM flight to Munich to connect to SFO which arrives at 7:00 PM. I got the shuttle(Google Worldwide Airport Transfers) which has a great shuttle service to the airport.

I leave my hotel at 8:30 AM and get to the airport by 9:15-9:30ish to avoid any traffic. Most Airlines connecting to Europe have the earliest checkin 3 hours before.

I would not do a 6:55 AM flight as the shuttle service costs more and you must wake up early. Here I can have a breakfast which starts at 7:00 -8:15 then go back to the room and get the bags and be in the lobby waiting by 8:20 for the shuttle.