FLL airport to ship and back at end of cruise

Amster12345

I'm flying into FLL the morning of a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale, so I don't need a hotel. My question is this. Do I need the Princess transfers to get to the ship, and back to the airport? Or is a taxi easy and cheaper? How far is it between the two? Thanks for any advice!

I'm flying into FLL the morning of a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale, so I don't need a hotel. My question is this. Do I need the Princess transfers to get to the ship, and back to the airport? Or is a taxi easy and cheaper? How far is it between the two? Thanks for any advice!

Taxi is easier, faster, and cheaper. Maybe a 10 minute ride and about a $15 charge.

I wouldn't bother with Princess transfers, there will be lots of cabs at FLL and at Port Everglades. You will likely find the fare a little more from FLL to PE then the reverse as there is a $2 airport pick up fee and you may have lines at the PE gates but your total cost should be less than $20 including tip.

I wouldn't bother with Princess transfers, there will be lots of cabs at FLL and at Port Everglades. You will likely find the fare a little more from FLL to PE then the reverse as there is a $2 airport pick up fee and you may have lines at the PE gates but your total cost should be less than $20 including tip.

Interesting..on the several trips we've made via taxi we haven't found this to be true...actually it has at times been a bit more from PE-FLL...I guess it varies.

Taxi is fine.

I urge you to rethink flying in the day of the cruise.

You take a risk when you fly should your flight be cancelled or delayed of missing the ship. Things happen whether mechanical, security, weather, computer related or a number of other things. Think what would have happened if you had a situation similar to what happened in Chicago the other day.

Fly the day before.

Just my two cents.

Keith

Taxi is fine.

I urge you to rethink flying in the day of the cruise.

You take a risk when you fly should your flight be cancelled or delayed of missing the ship. Things happen whether mechanical, security, weather, computer related or a number of other things. Think what would have happened if you had a situation similar to what happened in Chicago the other day.

Fly the day before.

Just my two cents.

Keith

I totally agree with Keith. So much can happen to delay your flight. Fly in the day before and start your cruise relaxed rather than stressed.

Interesting..on the several trips we've made via taxi we haven't found this to be true...actually it has at times been a bit more from PE-FLL...I guess it varies.

Interesting....I have run up a $16 fare plus tip just moving from the Renaissance at 17th and Eisenhower using the Eisenhower Blvd and going to terminal 2.....the traffic at the security check point was horrendous. So, yes fares will vary, it depends entirely on traffic and the route the cabbie takes. However, I have found some cabbies will start the meter as they exit the cab to load luggage (they are not supposed to) at both FE and FLL at that will skew the fare. However, every thing being equal, the $2 airport fee and the traffic volume entering PE should result in a higher fare.

I have taken a "redeye" from the Los Angeles area to FLL several times with no problems.

It is less risky when you are flying a route that has no snow problems. So Calif to FLL is not normally affected by weather conditions.

The taxis at FLL are usually lined up and waiting. Some will quote you a flat rate to Port Everglades if you ask nicely.

Edited by swedish weave

I have taken a "redeye" from the Los Angeles area to FLL several times with no problems.

It is less risky when you are flying a route that has no snow problems. So Calif to FLL is not normally affected by weather conditions.

The taxis at FLL are usually lined up and waiting. Some will quote you a flat rate to Port Everglades if you ask nicely.

I am doing the red-eye, and I got the flight though Princess EZAir, so that should mean they will get me to the ship if needed.

And thanks for the advice, everyone. It sounds like I shouldn't worry about transfers and take a cab instead.

. Some will quote you a flat rate to Port Everglades if you ask nicely.

Actually, they shouldn't. When we were there in February, there was a sign saying no flat rates to FLL, the trip must be on the meter. It cited a local law.

I am sure the reason for this was the "flat rates" or "minimum fares" being sought were greater than the meter would show. There have been many complaints about taxi drivers seeking $15 or $20 minimums, when the meter usually will show about $13.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree...I have been doing this for years...even a quick connect thru ATL...Each person has to decide what works out best for them...and very sad some on these boards will never understand that.

Agree...I have been doing this for years...even a quick connect thru ATL...Each person has to decide what works out best for them...and very sad some on these boards will never understand that.

This will be my 12th or 13th cruise. On three of them, we flew in early. Once just because we couldn't get a flight that day and the other two for extra vacation time. The rest of the time, we flew in and went straight to the ship. Especially on the longer cruises, I often didn't have enough vacation time for extra days before or after the cruise.

For two decades, this has mostly worked. We only had problems once, when our flight got delayed 12 hours. Long enough to miss sail time. It was a crazy afternoon running around LAX to find standby to London at a price we could afford and we barely made it on the plane. Not something I'd want to do again.