Regatta or Pacific Princess?

marypa

We are Platinum on Princess and so get a few perks. We are looking at the Panama Canal in January 2016 and just cannot decide which would be best for us.

They are the same ships, going in different directions full transit. Princess makes less stops

Can anyone help me make a decision please.?!?!

We are not fussed about the specialty restaurants but does the Regatta have lobster tails and king prawns every day on the BBQ as we had on MArina. This would really sell it to us as the buffet on Marina really was excellent. Is it as good on Regatta?

Thanks

As you mentioned they are the same size ships

The decor is more modern on Regatta & with the addition of the grill in the Terrace & Barristas it may work out better on Oceania

Only you can decide

Is pricing a factor??

I've always heard the Oceania "R" ships are kept to a higher standard or readiness than the Princess "R" ships. You may have heard that Princess is selling Ocean Princess to Oceania (through NCL) in 2016. It is reported that it will take $40 Million in updates and upgrades to bring it to Oceania standards. She'll be named "Sirena".

As they have just put a grill in the Terrace Cafe on the Regatta in the last year, the word was that lobster tails would be available on a daily basis. Perhaps if you asked someone on the board with a new title, "what can one order at the Grill in the Terrace Cafe on the Regatta", you may get a more detailed answer that can help you make your decision. I know even with perks, I would take Oceania over Princess, but then that is my own personal preference.

marypa

We sailed on the refurbished Regatta in August 2014. Lobster tails, shrimp, lamb chops, steaks and other items were available at the grill station in the Terrace Café. We had dinner there on several occasions.

Cheers,

Don

I cruised on Pacific Princess, but it was a while ago. At the time, Oceania didn't go to Alaska and I was thrilled to see that the Pacific Princess went there. It wasn't nearly as nice as Regatta and Insignia (food, service, and decor wise) but it was adequate. Of course, that was before the grill was added on the smaller O ships, so perhaps now I wouldn't be so positive about it. We really love the O ship grill and outside Terrace dining. We also love Oceania's port intensive itineraries. Those included dinners at the specialty restaurants add variety, which for me is a good thing.

Unless price is drastically different, and you don't mind fewer ports to explore and a lesser quality experience, I would definitely go with Regatta. It would be an easy choice for me, but based on my one and only time on a Princess ship, I felt they provided an adequate product.

We are Platinum on Princess and so get a few perks. We are looking at the Panama Canal in January 2016 and just cannot decide which would be best for us.

They are the same ships, going in different directions full transit. Princess makes less stops

Can anyone help me make a decision please.?!?!

We are not fussed about the specialty restaurants but does the Regatta have lobster tails and king prawns every day on the BBQ as we had on MArina. This would really sell it to us as the buffet on Marina really was excellent. Is it as good on Regatta?

Thanks

We have done the Panama Canal cruise on both ships and would take Oceana any day. We prefer the included soft drinks, better food and not as much selling.

We have been on Oceania and loved certain aspects - the port talks and enrichment lectures

However, we just really like small ships ( I think)

There is a considerable price difference of 800$ each,

Princess are offering a very generous ob credit and free internet for us

Is it worth it?

Does anyone know of Princess have the evening cocktails and canapes for Platinum on the smaller ships? This was a real bonus for us

Having sailed on both Ocean Princess and Regatta (Regatta Miami to San Francisco through the Panama Canal ) Oceania wins hands down . Ship maintained in much better condition . Food offerings outstanding and no extra charge for specialty restaurants Polo Grill & Toscana . Buffet is more an up market Cafe and a full restaurant at night . Also on Regatta the main dining room offers both set time dining or any time dining .

Also NO annoying ships photographers on Oceania, whereas on Princess they are are feral and an absolute pest especially at port stops.

Oceania its virtually all inclusive except for grog and shore excursions, whereas the number crunchers at Princess charge you extra for specialty coffees, specialty restaurants and every other opportunity to wring a $ out of you .

"Also on Regatta the main dining room offers both set time dining or any time dining ."

On Oceania MDR is always open dining, whichever ship you are on.

Polo Grill and Toscana(plus Red Ginger and Jacques on Marina and Riviera) you have to make reservations, but no extra cost.:)

As much as I loved cruising the Canal several times on Coral Princess, I would choose Regatta if I felt the price was right. For the difference, I can usually choose a suite on Coral Princess. And Princess suites are worth the cost.

"Also on Regatta the main dining room offers both set time dining or any time dining ."

On Oceania MDR is always open dining, whichever ship you are on.

Polo Grill and Toscana(plus Red Ginger and Jacques on Marina and Riviera) you have to make reservations, but no extra cost.:)

On Regatta approaching the MDR on the starboard side the first section is fixed seating dining, once through that section the MDR then expands out to the full width of the ship across the stern and that larger area of the MDR is all anytime dining .

I have been on Pacific and am going to be on Regatta at the end of May. Regatta no formal nights pacific 3 formal nights, Regatta all inclusive flight . gratuities, non alcoholic beverages, all included Pacific not so much, Regatta price lots, Pacific not so much.

We enjoyed our Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princess in August. However, we really missed the dining options available on Azamara and Oceania on these on original "R" ships. On the Pacific Princess, they alternated the specialty restaurants every other night. On a few nights they set up a bistro type area in the oceanview café. You could order off of a menu but it was very limited. It definitely felt contrived. We did take advantage of it a couple of nights because we were very tired from long days in port. We were on a seven day cruise and ate in the main dining room only three nights. Fixed dining times just didn't work for us. With all of that said, we loved the crew on the Pacific. The bartenders were particularly friendly and accommodating.

For the Panama Canal our ship of choice would be the Coral or Island Princess because of the numerous forward and aft viewing areas.

The enhancements to the Regatta and the Insignia definitely take them a few steps above the Pacific. But, we still had a good time on the Pacific in August.

On Regatta approaching the MDR on the starboard side the first section is fixed seating dining, once through that section the MDR then expands out to the full width of the ship across the stern and that larger area of the MDR is all anytime dining .

I have been on the Oceania R ships 7 times never have seen fixed dining time on any of them

What time is the set dining if that is the case???

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of some other ship you've been on.

I have been on the Oceania R ships 7 times never have seen fixed dining time on any of them

What time is the set dining if that is the case???

4 times for me, also never seen any fixed dining.

I was going to say the same thing earlier, then thought that maybe there's been a change since we were on Regatta (since the last time was in Aug '12). Glad to have my recollections confirmed.

Mura

Oh, let's not go THAT far!! (Not that I'm taking you seriously.)

And in fact if indeed Oceania were to reserve a small portion of the dining room for fixed dining, how egregious would that be? I can see that it might be inconvenient for the servers, though.

:)

Mura

Oh, let's not go THAT far!! (Not that I'm taking you seriously.)

Mura

Well I should hope not I know others might but the :D should be the clue

Looking at the poster past cruises probably confused they have 1 cruise on Oceania & many on Princess

Well, I started to reply when I saw that comment, then decided not to. We were on Insignia in Sept. and didn't hear of any change, but I am certainly not an expert on the MDR. I once went a whole cruise without eating there one, so what would I know??!

However, I DID figure at least one person would question it. We're a very active and knowledgeable bunch on here, after all - but no, we don't beat people up!