Do I need a notarized consent form from my husband if he is not cruising with us?

2boys2girls

Will be cruising with my kids next month, 2 who are 18 and over. My son is 14 and my question is whether I need any kind of notarized letter of consent from my husband since he isn't coming on the cruise with us. It's been 4 years since our last cruise, which he also didn't go on (what can I say...he doesn't like to cruise but doesn't mind if we go) so I don't remember if I needed it or not. Any advice would be great!

I was wondering the same thing. I asked the Carnival Vacation Planner and he told me that they do not require it but I was reading online and got conflicting answers. I found a form online that I am going to have my husband sign and have notarized and bring it with us just in case it is needed.

The correct answer is no you do not need a notarized letter. It is recommended but not legally required. And no you don't need it to get off the ship for a port call in Mexico either. If your cruise ends in Mexico it would be required.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Edited by n6uqqq

I have cruised a bunch of times with my kids no husband. I always take the letter just in case but I have never been asked for it. I couldn't imagine being all ready and excited for my cruise and not being able to get on. its an easy enough letter/ form to get done. Always better safe than sorry.

A few years ago, I saw an episode on cruising, it may have been on the travel channel.

It was Royal Caribbean going over the documentation needed, how sometimes they have to turn people away, what they have to do prior to letting passengers board, what they do when passengers get off the ship, etc. This episode was really informative...

One part of the filming showed passengers arriving at the port/building where they do the check-in (show proper documents). They were talking to someone in upper management - I forgot her title, but she was the one that had to enforce the rules and say yes you can board OR no you do not have the right documents. They interviewed a few other employees too.

The one thing that I remember about the whole show was........ Better safe than sorry - so if you are taking a minor that DOES NOT have your last name, then you might want to get a notarized letter from that parent. This may not be legally required as the other poster said, but this could save a lot of time and trouble during your boarding process.

Example 1:

This one lady had her minor child, but the child had the father's last name.

They had to contact the father and have him fax over a letter stating he was aware that the mother was taking the child out of the country. The letter had to be a bit more detailed, like naming the ship, sailing dates, who he was giving permission to, to take his child........ IN THIS CASE THE MOTHER HAD A DIFFERENT LAST NAME THAN HER CHILD. it all worked out and they were able to board

Example 2:

A family took a minor that was their child's best friend. They too had to get a notarized letter faxed to Royal Caribbean listing the same thing (giving permission, etc)

I don't know if all cruise lines do this, but I just wanted to put this out there for any passengers that are cruising with minors that may not have their last name........... whether you are taking your child or your neighbors, you might want to confirm with the cruise line (but make sure tell them this minor does not share your last name)

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY - THEY DID TURN SOMEONE AWAY BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T REACH THAT FAMILY MEMBER, IN ORDER TO FAX OVER THE PAPER THEY NEEDED.

I know this may not apply to the original poster, but I just wanted to share this info. with everyone

if any saw this episode and would like to chime in, please do

Edited by Keith1121

Keith1121, I do remember that show. And I do recall that someone missed the sailing, although I think it was a birth certificate problem, not a letter from a parent. However, I'm also in the "better safe than sorry" camp. Admittedly our first experience wasn't a cruise, but DH took our oldest son (then 11) on a business trip to London while I stayed home with the two younger sons. What we saw as a great father-son experience was viewed by border agents as a potential child abduction. No, they didn't have a letter. Ultimately they let DH and DS continue with the trip (DS explained to the agents that I was at home with his brothers), but having a letter would have been so easy.

Three years ago we took our nephew with us on a cruise. Also admittedly a different situation since nephew has a different last name - but we had the letter and we were asked for it, both boarding and disembarking.

Keith1121, I do remember that show. And I do recall that someone missed the sailing, although I think it was a birth certificate problem, not a letter from a parent. However, I'm also in the "better safe than sorry" camp. Admittedly our first experience wasn't a cruise, but DH took our oldest son (then 11) on a business trip to London while I stayed home with the two younger sons. What we saw as a great father-son experience was viewed by border agents as a potential child abduction. No, they didn't have a letter. Ultimately they let DH and DS continue with the trip (DS explained to the agents that I was at home with his brothers), but having a letter would have been so easy.

Three years ago we took our nephew with us on a cruise. Also admittedly a different situation since nephew has a different last name - but we had the letter and we were asked for it, both boarding and disembarking.

So in other words, even when it is required, it is not required?

op, it you want to get one, you can, but it is not required.

All, as long as your last name is the same as your children, they will not ask. If its different, like mine was a few years ago, (divorced and remarried), then yes. It's unfortunate that the travel agency didn't tell me if I had full custody, I had to bring my notarized custody docs with me. Thank God my daughter was 15 and they asked her a few questions that matched what I had said, then they let us on.

My husband had to give a notarized note to his ex last year for her to taker their son on a cruise. Again, her last name is different than my step son.

I'm not sure about Carnival's policy so I can't speak to that, and I see you are from Florida so this isn't a problem for you. But if I come from Canada with only myself, I would need a notarized letter to get through immigration with my kid(s). Just in case others are reading this who are coming from outside the USA.

All, as long as your last name is the same as your children, they will not ask. If its different, like mine was a few years ago, (divorced and remarried), then yes. It's unfortunate that the travel agency didn't tell me if I had full custody, I had to bring my notarized custody docs with me. Thank God my daughter was 15 and they asked her a few questions that matched what I had said, then they let us on.

My husband had to give a notarized note to his ex last year for her to taker their son on a cruise. Again, her last name is different than my step son.

So another story of the needed letter not being needed.

Try getting on without something that is needed. Not happening.

So in other words, even when it is required, it is not required?

op, it you want to get one, you can, but it is not required.

loxley, if you don't want to take the letter that's fine. I'm just saying I won't chance it. It's really rather easy to do. Edited by nybumpkin

loxley, if you don't want to take the letter that's fine. I'm just saying I won't chance it. It's really rather easy to do.

It is not easy for everyone to get.

My point is, the letter is not required therefore not needed.

If you want to get one, fine by me, but it is not needed unless you are coming from Canada or your cruise ends in Mexico.

It is not easy for everyone to get.

Honestly, go over to the "Family Cruises" board and there are lots of links to forms. Take it to your local bank for a notary. And if you're sailing with a kid who is not your son/daughter, it can also serve as a medical permission. Just saying - I learned my lesson. Edited by nybumpkin

We have a blended family and two of the kids have a different last name than the rest of us. I'm solidly in the better safe than sorry camp but have never been asked for documentation.

I always try to make it as easy as possible for the port agents to check us in. We got all the kids passport cards and they just scanned them through, easy peasy. I have always had a something notarized from their Dad stating we have his knowledge and permission to cruise with them.

It would be horrible to have the trip ruined before it started.

Will be cruising with my kids next month, 2 who are 18 and over. My son is 14 and my question is whether I need any kind of notarized letter of consent from my husband since he isn't coming on the cruise with us. It's been 4 years since our last cruise, which he also didn't go on (what can I say...he doesn't like to cruise but doesn't mind if we go) so I don't remember if I needed it or not. Any advice would be great!

If you are married I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a divorce decree or custody arrangement that would conflict then yes I would.

My son and I are getting ready to take our 3rd cruise without my husband. He joins us as often as he can but I have more paid time off work. I always bring a notarized letter just in case. I have not yet been asked for it.

We have a blended family and two of the kids have a different last name than the rest of us. I'm solidly in the better safe than sorry camp but have never been asked for documentation.

I always try to make it as easy as possible for the port agents to check us in. We got all the kids passport cards and they just scanned them through, easy peasy. I have always had a something notarized from their Dad stating we have his knowledge and permission to cruise with them.

It would be horrible to have the trip ruined before it started.

Same experience, always have it, never get asked for it. Still, I'd way rather be safe than sorry. I DID read about one person on these boards getting asked for it. It takes less than 10 minutes to do it. I'm willing.