Pools on the Regal

abisha

I just got off the Ruby (my first Princess cruise) and just booked the Regal. On the Ruby, I really liked the Lotus Spa pool...mainly due to the fact it wasn't very crowded, but mostly, I loved the stairs that led down into the pool and the pool had a "shallower end". Does the regal have a pool like this? I thought I saw a pool in the Sanctuary area, but I assume it is only for those who paid to be in the Santuary (I don't spend that much time on a lounge chair during the day, so it would not benefit me to pay to go to that area).

ok..so just to clarify... I can use the Retreat Pool by the Sanctuary and can use the loungers around the Retreat Pool and no charge for either? Is it not part of the Sanctuary?

That pool is not part of the Sanctuary. There is no charge to use it. The loungers that are NOT under the canopies are free.

ok..so just to clarify... I can use the Retreat Pool by the Sanctuary and can use the loungers around the Retreat Pool and no charge for either? Is it not part of the Sanctuary?

That is correct.

To add a bit of additional information, though: the Retreat Pool is the only adults-only area on the ship and the loungers fill up very early in the morning. Also, the pool is much larger and much deeper than the Lotus Spa pool on the Ruby: 5'2" at the shallow end (or 4'14" as the sign reads ;) ) to 7'2" at the deep end (also reading 6'14").

It is a very nice pool, as is the area around it. But, it does tend to be very busy.

Hope that helps.

Does the retreat pool on the Regal have any shade at all? The retreat pool on the Royal had no shade, unless you pulled your lounger into the entrance areas. The canvas shades that covered the lounging areas were no more than a netting.

The Regal has a very small aft pool on Deck 17.

Been on both the Royal and Regal and just don't get the design of the pools. The retreat pool is very nice, but those lounge/cabanas are useless money makers. On the TA on both ships....I never saw one person in them. They were used some in the Mediterranian cruise before the TA. There is no charge to use the pool, but there is a fee for the cabanas and the sanctuary. It gets very windy in that area...very front of the ship. The regular pool has the MUTS playing all of the time...the aft pool on the Regal is the size of a hot tub, with seating all around. I would hate to see all 3000 passengers show up at the same time for that venue. These ships are so beautiful, but not so user friendly. I will be in the Caribbean this winter.....I'll find my space to relax, read and enjoy the sun......in the quiet.

there is a fee for the cabanas

yes on our recent transatlantic the charge was $50. for 1/2 day and $80. for a full day. Not once in 29 days did I see anyone renting one.

Spent all our pool time at the Retreat pool

Does the retreat pool on the Regal have any shade at all? The retreat pool on the Royal had no shade, unless you pulled your lounger into the entrance areas. The canvas shades that covered the lounging areas were no more than a netting.

The Regal has a very small aft pool on Deck 17.

No real shade in the Retreat Pool area. In that regard it's virtually identical to the Royal. You have to move away from the Retreat Pool area if you want shade, unfortunately. And there is virtually no shade near the new aft "dip pool".

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Are the cabanas complete shade? Was on Royal but we never used pool are as it was October Med Cruise and weather did not permit. I actually want sun but hate having to grab a chair by 8 am and am not inerested in paying $800 for Sanctuary but would not mind a cabana if the sun is able to get in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

Are the cabanas complete shade? Was on Royal but we never used pool are as it was October Med Cruise and weather did not permit. I actually want sun but hate having to grab a chair by 8 am and am not inerested in paying $800 for Sanctuary but would not mind a cabana if the sun is able to get in.

No: the Retreat Pool cabanas are covered but open on the sides, with curtains that are typically pulled open to the 4 corner posts but can - presumably - be pulled closed if you wish. But, sun can definitely get into the cabana loungers. As for cost, though, they were actually somewhat more expensive than the basic loungers in the Sanctuary (if I recall correctly, $85/day vs. $30/pp/day); and I don't believe you can book the cabanas for the week - though I am honestly not certain of this. Hope someone else has the answer for this one.

I couldn't get an answer anywhere why they 4ft 14inches instead of 5 2 go figure...lol

We guessed it was either a joke (unlikely) or bad conversion, for which we razzed our Italian friend (since the ship was built there.) ;)

Are the cabanas complete shade?

No, no shade at all. They are topped by a sheer netting that does nothing to prevent the damaging sun rays from causing dangerous exposure. Guess Princess has never read about the real dangers of sun exposure. Also guess that they haven't observed on other ships that passengers pull lounge chairs into any shaded space they can find.

How is it by the fountain pool? Is there shade? And do you know the depth and what the steps into the pool look like (straight down ladder? Or stair case style?) By looking at the photo of it, it appears to be a decent size ??

How is it by the fountain pool? Is there shade? And do you know the depth and what the steps into the pool look like (straight down ladder? Or stair case style?) By looking at the photo of it, it appears to be a decent size ??

The fountain pool has shade all around it but the seating isn't all loungers. There are tables, sofas and club chairs as well as loungers.

There is shade also on the sundeck beneath the jogging track. It is just above and around the corner from the pool.

The pool is deep. I am 5'4" and I could not stand in either pool. The plunge pool is waist deep. The Fountain pool and Plunge pool have ladders for access.

I have pictures in my review below that might be helpful.:) The Royal and Regal are the same layout except for the Aft Plunge pool.

Edited by Mom33

This is one of my big complaints/disappointments about the Retreat Pool area and the Sanctuary on the Regal and I assume the Royal. The covering in the Retreat pool area including the Cabanas and in most of the Sanctuary does not provide true shade but let's much sunlight through. For someone with a family member who has dealt with skin cancer, this is not an acceptable area. The Sanctuary on other ships provides more shade. The no extra charge cabanas on the Island provided essentially total shade and was a great place for us to be on our Panama Canal cruise last year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The fountain pool has shade all around it but the seating isn't all loungers. There are tables, sofas and club chairs as well as loungers.

There is shade also on the sundeck beneath the jogging track. It is just above and around the corner from the pool.

The pool is deep. I am 5'4" and I could not stand in either pool. The plunge pool is waist deep. The Fountain pool and Plunge pool have ladders for access.

I have pictures in my review below that might be helpful.:) The Royal and Regal are the same layout except for the Aft Plunge pool.

Thanks for your info. I'm barely 5 feet, so I will probably be using the plunge pool more often, but do like having a normal "staircase" vs. a ladder. I can swim, but do like to stand around the edge. If it's too deep for me, I just hang on to the edge (and have my DH, who is taller than me, hold onto me so I am not standing under water..lol).

The aft round pool on 17 was not deep. No shade at all but lovely and warm. Unfortunately the comfortable chairs are for smokers. There are chaises onthe other side but I have bad knees and find it is too low. For some reason the steps in and out are very narrow and hard to use.

No. Some are closed for cleaning, and typically they are netted off overnight for safety.

Thanks- Do you know if there is set hours? I swim/workout for exercise it helps my RA greatly so hoping to find a time to get in morning and night when it is not crowded. Any hope? :confused: