Looking for a nice beach for the family

officerswife

Hello -

We will be in Key West for the first time in May. Just looking for a nice beach within walking distance from the pier maybe with somewhere to eat lunch and just relax.

Any suggestions?

This is about as good as you are going to get. 10 - 15 minutes walk from the port, and you can rent chairs and have lunch.

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

Pjk

You can walk straight off the docks passing the Key West Art & Historical Society on your left (the big, red brick building) and immediately across Front Street is Whitehead. Walking down Whitehead you pass Greene, Caroline, Fleming and Eaton, then make a right onto Southard. The park is listed as at the end of Southard through the Truman Annex. IIRC there are signs pointing the way.

Pjk

You can walk straight off the docks passing the Key West Art & Historical Society on your left (the big, red brick building) and immediately across Front Street is Whitehead. Walking down Whitehead you pass Greene, Caroline, Fleming and Eaton, then make a right onto Southard. The park is listed as at the end of Southard through the Truman Annex. IIRC there are signs pointing the way.

Pjk

EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info!

CeleBrat

It's a beach....I don't know what you want for entertainment.....there is a food stand out there and chairs and umbrellas for rent.

I was looking for more info on the tour of the fort and maybe some comments on the nature trail.

I was looking for more info on the tour of the fort and maybe some comments on the nature trail.

There is only one, small nature trail in Key West that I am aware of. It is off Atlantic Blvd between Higgs Beach and Bertha Street on the other side of the island. There are signs for it. It used to be kind of nice but Hurricane Wilma virtually destroyed it, and I haven't walked along it since then.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

• 4 weeks later...

I clicked on the link above, and it says there are tours of the fort daily, at 12 and 2. Our ship is only in until 2, how long does a tour take? In other words, if we did the noon tour, would we have trouble getting back to the ship?

Edited by cruise-addict

You can easily do a self-guided tour of the fort. There are brochures in a box on a pole near the entrance that you can use for the self-guided tour and spend as much or as little time as you wish. The fort has some impressive large Civil War era coastal artillery and a big mortar.

The view from the top of the fort is very nice...a great photo op. There is an interesting statue on the roof too.

Closer to the beach, the "forrested" area has a path of sorts with different trees, plants and scrubs area that are labeled. There are picnic tables and barbeque facilities in the shady area under the Australian pines.

We love Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.

OT--can anyone recommend a cheap excursion at Key West for 1st timers with kids age 10, 6 and almost 2?? Or should we just walk around...and if so what should we do...we're there from 11:30-7:30 in the beginning of june.

Edited by loveysbydesign

OT--can anyone recommend a cheap excursion at Key West for 1st timers with kids age 10, 6 and almost 2??

If you're looking for cheap, just wander the area around Mallory square, plenty of shops and restaurants. See what piques your interest. Grab some food, or maybe some ice cream or key lime pie.

OT--can anyone recommend a cheap excursion at Key West for 1st timers with kids age 10, 6 and almost 2?? Or should we just walk around...and if so what should we do...we're there from 11:30-7:30 in the beginning of june.

With the amount of time you have available, I would head down Duval to Southernmost Point (about 1 mile walk). Take some pics there then two blocks up is the Butterfly Conservatory. The kids will love it. You can head back up Duval stopping at the different stores or head over a block to see the 6 toed cats at Hemmingway's house. Once you head back towards Mallory Sq. you can detour over to the Blonde Giraffe for some Key Lime Pie.

With the amount of time you have available, I would head down Duval to Southernmost Point (about 1 mile walk). Take some pics there then two blocks up is the Butterfly Conservatory. The kids will love it. You can head back up Duval stopping at the different stores or head over a block to see the 6 toed cats at Hemmingway's house. Once you head back towards Mallory Sq. you can detour over to the Blonde Giraffe for some Key Lime Pie.

That sounds great, thanks so much!!! :D

How long do you think that will take....about 2-3 hours???

Does the Blond Giraffe have the frozen choc. covered KL Pie??

Edited by loveysbydesign

I also recommend, since you don't have to board till close to 7, end up close to the pier for what they call "sunset". I'm not exactly sure of what time it usually starts, I think 4 or 5, someone else may know for sure. But they have all different street vendors and street acts going on till sunset. The kids may enjoy seeing some of the acts (tight rope walkers, dog tricks, escape acts, etc) It's a nice way to end your day and you can see your ship from the activities. You're only a 5 minute walk from it. As far as beaches go, I would say Zachory Taylor also. That would have to be my favorite: however when DH and I go to Key West, we don't usually go for the beaches. None of them are exceptional.

That sounds great, thanks so much!!! :D

How long do you think that will take....about 2-3 hours???

Does the Blond Giraffe have the frozen choc. covered KL Pie??

With the 3 kids I would estimate 45 minutes to an hour each way for the walk up and down Duval. I would allow an hour for the Butterfly Conservatory. The rest of the stops are quick photos. Blond Giraffe has chocolate covered Key lime on a stick :D http://www.blondgiraffe.com/home.htm

• 5 years later...
There are no nice beaches in Key West! Ft .Zachary is about the best, but you don't go to Key West to go to the beaches. :D

I agree!

The fort itself at Fort Zach beach is OK and worth seeing, but it's not really much, it can all be seen on your own pretty quick.

Oops, just realized this is a 5 year old thread. :) Looks like someone was using this one to promote their business..........

Edited by bouhunter