Galveston Daily News reports all cruise Vehicles Totalled

vettecruiser1

Jason,

Hope you get your ship in C.C. but I think the option would be to sail directly out of Houston and their new terminal. Galveston looks like a month to full recovery and Houston maybe a few weeks.

I don't think the new terminal is going to be an option. It is located in Kemah and Kemah has some of the worst damage in the Houston Metro area. The photos they showed of Kemah looked like water rushed in every building there and gutted the insides.

I could be wrong though!

Not surprising. My brother lives on Galveston Island, he parked his car about 4 miles from the cruise port (on the same road, just closer to the causeway) and his vehicle was completely flooded. His buddy who parked next to him went to the island yesterday and said that there was clearly extensive flooding and his vehicle wouldn't even turn over, so we're not holding out much hope for my brother's car.

They are telling residents of Galveston that it may be a month before the entire island has water and electrical service restored. My guess is there won't be any cruises departing from Galveston for at least a few weeks.

I feel for the passengers who left cars there; insurance adjusters can't even get out to the island yet, so they're kind of stuck in limbo.

Correction: the location where he left his car is right near the parking lots for the cruise terminal.

He is not surprised at all at the totalling of the cruise passengers' vehicles, given the condition of the vehicles at the military base where he parked. He is going today to check on his car and residence - when he knows for sure what's happened to his car I will post.

Just watched a report from KHOU, a guy went out with the Coast Guard to inspect the ship channel, they saw chairs, furniture and cows in the bay. One of the biggest issues was the buoys have been displaced and need to be put back. The depth of the center of the channel was unchanged, That's good news. They are now fanning out to make sure it is passable

Hundred of container ships are outside the channel waiting for clearance to get in. They estimate a couple of more days.

They did go by the passenger pier in Galvestion, there is some damage to the dock area and one of the gang ways was blown backwards. The cars, sorry folks, they look bad.

They are really trying hard to open the ship channel.

The cars do look very, very bad. There will be a long delay before anyone can get to them. They will rot in the sun.

Sorry folks.

They won't get them back. They are bio-hazards now and will be impounded and destroyed. That's what happened after Katrina. We had countless staging lots near Mobile that held vehicles headed to the crushers that came from MS and LA. Within 9 months all the lots were cleared.

I don't think the new terminal is going to be an option. It is located in Kemah and Kemah has some of the worst damage in the Houston Metro area. The photos they showed of Kemah looked like water rushed in every building there and gutted the insides.

I could be wrong though!

The new Port of Houston Cruise Terminal is way north of Kemah.

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruiseinfo/cruiseinfo.html

My brother drove by the cruise terminal parking lots yesterday and the Galveston newspaper wasn't kidding - bad luck for the people who left their cars there. Cars flipped, cars on top of other cars, and lots of debris. Clearly there was a lot of flooding there. By the time anyone can deal with them, they'll be well past trying to save.

They won't get them back. They are bio-hazards now and will be impounded and destroyed. That's what happened after Katrina. We had countless staging lots near Mobile that held vehicles headed to the crushers that came from MS and LA. Within 9 months all the lots were cleared.

For those of us who keep too much personal stuff in our cars, more to add to the losses.

Neighbors of mine left a car parked at the Holiday Inn. They are all the way home and hae no idea about their car.

It's not way north of Kemah but it is north. It's located just south of La Porte and Shoreacres which were both heavily damaged.

as a bird fly's 4.6 miles north. and sets at 21ft above sea level. All data was gathered using google earth. I drove south down Toddville Rd. past the police check point on Monday with a person that lives on Toddville Rd. All the homes that were on high ground on Toddleville did fine other than the ussaul wind damage. Now the homes on the Kemah end did not fair as well. Some are just gone from the serge. The cruise terminal looked fine from Port Road. The Shoreacres area is any where from 5ft to 17 ft above sea level and with a 16 to 17 ft serge I would say Shoreacres did get hit hard by water.

I watched a news footage story this AM where Frank Billingsly went down to the Strand and pier areas with a camera. The builings all faired pretty well but the water damage is enourmous@!!! He found the water lines to be pretty much be 9 ft. on the strand. THere is mud and muck everywhere and when you look in the windows of the shops, restaurants, etc. the stuff is just everywhere and covered with mud. Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 21, Harbor House, the Elissa ship where all ok structure wise but very torn up inside. Some outdoor eating areas were totaled. I missed the part of the cruise terminal but I heard it is the same. It got 9 ft. of water in it and there is mud and muck everywhere. They are once again suspending the "look & leave" project today of letting owners on the island. It is complete devestation!!! No one will be going to Galveston for a minimum 2-3 months. The cars from the cruisers are horrid. Maybe those on the upper level parking garages might be ok. I am sorry folks for your loss. I love Crystal Beach and when I watch the footage and see nothing there it makes me sick. We rent a house every Thanksgiving right on the beach and I know it cannot still be there. I almost feel like it is my house and it makes me ill. Please pray for those less fortunate thru this ordeal. I would rather lose a car than my house.

You can go to Click2houston.com and on the right click on the video and watch Frank's walking tour.

Archived