Seapass card-carry it all the time?

Eppiela

Yes...you will need it to get into your cabin...it's your room key!!!! And, anything you buy (a drink or soda or souvenier) must be charged using your seapass!

Men will stick it in a pocket....I carry a very small purse, with seapass, tissues, lipstick, comb, etc.....

You will need your card at least for the first dinner for the fixed seating, and for every dinner if you have MTD - at least one card per cabin.

This is also your cabin's electronic key.

You also need this as ID to leave or enter the ship - your photo will be on the magnetic strip of the card, and yes, they do look at your face each time.

So if you are not planning on buying anything, you still need the card with you.

If I'm not planning to buy anything on a certain day (onboard), is there a reason for me to carry my Seapass card around with me?

Will I need it for checking in to the MDR or anything like that?

You will need it every time you exit your cabin - unless you don't plan on ever re-entering your cabin. You will also need it to exit the ship (which on the last day is the only time you are not going to re-enter your cabin). Thus, you need to carry it around all the time.

Just watch out for a magnetic closure on a purse, etc. It will desensitize the magnetic strip on the card. This happened to me several times before I figured out what was causing it.

Carole

LOL...this happened to me twice while on the Eurodam. I wondered why I was being kicked out of my cabin in the middle of the cruise!

My plan for next cruise... will carry a small cross body purse at all times while on the ship to put in my seapass, lipstick and a ziplock bag with a small flashlight, copy of our passports and a credit card and may be some cash?

It may not be the highest fashion, but they work great on a lanyard...hands free, no setting it down in error somewhere. Cruise Critic sells a nifty one with the CC logo to spot other CC members, and the end with the card can be unclipped to hand to your waiter or to swipe when leaving and returning to the ship, then snapped back on when it's returned. Very convenient. The check-in desk or Reception desk on board will punch it (the Seapass) for you.

If I'm not planning to buy anything on a certain day (onboard), is there a reason for me to carry my Seapass card around with me?

Will I need it for checking in to the MDR or anything like that?

If your spouse is with you at all times I guess you can use theirs if you want to run back to you stateroom to get something. But beside using it to get back in our stateroom we also carry ours if we want to buy a drink or see something we want to buy in one of the onboard shops.

BTW from your question it sounds like you are new to cruising so try and ignore some of the sassy answers. There are never any dumb questions, just a dumb answer now and then. Experience cruisers some time forget that at one time they were green cruise virgins too.

BTW from your question it sounds like you are new to cruising so try and ignore some of the sassy answers. There are never any dumb questions, just a dumb answer now and then. Experience cruisers some time forget that at one time they were green cruise virgins too.

Nice comment. I agree.

Carole

OP, you should always carry your seapass card with you when you leave your cabin, even for the quickest trip to somewhere on the ship. Others are right, a lanyard works perfectly.

On my last cruise I bought a soda card the day of embarkation, and a soda sticker was placed on my seapass card to indicate that I had pre-paid for all the soda/milkshakes etc. I wanted. Throughout the cruise I had to show my seapass card to the attendants in order to get my beverages. They didn't swipe the card, they only needed to verify the sticker on the card ... I had to have the card with me at all times.

Thank you for your encouragement!

I became addicted to lanyards on cruises with my kids, when the last thing I cared about was offending others who.... For some reason seem to be offended by lanyards!:rolleyes: I use it all the time when out of the cabin. I have a CC one I have used for the past few cruises. If I am getting a picture taken or going into the dining room I take it off and wrap it around my wrist or shove it down my shirt. It is amazingly handy and you will never be without it, which is key :p.

For the fashion conscience ladies.....hit the well known Handbag (begins with a C) Outlet Stores for a nice SeaPass Holder they come in many colors & styles and usually are on sale for about $14-$19 I have a black patent leather one that is on a detachable lanyard. On formal nights I detach the lanyard and place just the pass & holder in my evening bag.

We have lanyards for ours.

I also use a lanyard that I got from Walmart for a couple of dollars. The plastic sleeves are also available there or from an office supply store (I used some of the extra sleeves to hold the paper ship's tags). When I leave the ship in port (you'll need to insert your card in the little machine that goes "bing" before you can get off or on the ship), I take the lanyard, with card put back in the sleeve, off and put in my purse.

My teen is required to have her student ID at her school, and like many of the other kids, uses a lanyard that she picked out.

Archived