Fjord cruise

holidayhelen

Hello - We are doing a Fjord cruise in June - Bergen, Stavanger, Flam and Olden. We have the train booked for Flam and we have been told to just walk round Bergen and Stavanger but has anyone any ideas for Olden? Do we need to book a ships tour or are there tours available at the pier? we have an overnight and a day there.

Anyone have any idea about the weather - 24 June - and what clothing is best at this time of year

Thanks for any help

H

Hi, we are also doing a fjords cruise but in July. For all our other ports we are doing our own thing, mainly buying HOHO tickets. However Olden is a small village with almost nothing to do in the place itself. The ship docks at a small pontoon a little way out of the village. This was the only port we decided to book a ship tour, and we are booked on the Kjenndalen Glacier and Lovatnet lake excursion. We felt that despite the cost it was the easiest thing to do in such a remote but beautiful place.

As for the weather, well it's anyone's guess. We have been advised to dress in layers and be prepared for cold and wet, so coats a deflate must.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Martin

Olden has less to do than most ports in Norway. If you like walking, there are a few places to walk along the fjord or up a hill. There's a land train that's worth a trip, to fill in an hour. Or there are ship's excursions.

As for weather, it's not unlike Lancashire, but a degree or two cooler on average. And apart from that, I can no more advise you on what it's going to do in Norway than you can advise me what it's going to do in Lancashire!

We did DIY in Olden and enjoyed some gentle walking, fresh air and the scenery. There was a company doing RIB rides (large inflatable sided speed boat, great fun!) along the fjord from the small pier which you can just book on the day there - fun to watch from the nearby pub patio too. The boat sets off to loud playing of Grieg's water music - fantastic! I believe there's also a British family who do popular llama walks in the near vicinity too - the tourist information centre in the village has details. We loved this port of call as it was a nice contrast to the bigger towns and busy ports.

I'm going to Norway in July. When I booked the cruise the invoice and advertising stated the cruise was visiting Flam. Particularly I wanted to visit Flam as the railway journey was a particular trip I was looking forward to.

However I have just noticed on the cruise personaliser that the cruise is no longer visiting Flam but is going to Olden instead. No notification no nothing from P&O or the travel agent. Luckily I did not book the railway trip as others on this forum have recommended but I wonder what would have happened had I did.

The lesson I have learned is not to book private trips early and not to assume that the advertised destinations are those to which the cruise is going.

Whoops

If you had a booked a place on the Flaam railway trip (I`ve done this and it was excellent) through P&O then you would get a refund - same as if you had booked it and cancelled it yourself.

Never done a DIY trip at any port I`ve been too

I remember years ago P&O sent me a letter saying that they had changed the itinerary from Copenhagen to Aarhus (also in Denmark) and Gothenburg but this was due to the climate conference in Copenhagen and political unrest... P&O thought it best we go elsewhere instead - Disappointing but I go to see another part of Denmark and visit Sweden

I'm going to Norway in July. When I booked the cruise the invoice and advertising stated the cruise was visiting Flam. Particularly I wanted to visit Flam as the railway journey was a particular trip I was looking forward to.

However I have just noticed on the cruise personaliser that the cruise is no longer visiting Flam but is going to Olden instead. No notification no nothing from P&O or the travel agent. Luckily I did not book the railway trip as others on this forum have recommended but I wonder what would have happened had I did.

The lesson I have learned is not to book private trips early and not to assume that the advertised destinations are those to which the cruise is going.

Same happened to us, We booked direct and were notified by P&O (think if you use a TA, it's the TA that tell you) - anyhow I had booked the Flam railway independently and on emailing them to tell them P&O had pulled out, they did refund me :)

Whoops, if you booked via a TA they should have really told you. P and O would not contact you direct if booked via a TA.

Olden is one of our favourite ports of call. It is a really beautiful valley. We have had sunshine and warm weather and rain and warm weather there. Light layers is the way to go.

We like Olden too a lovely walk into the village a few shops to look at have a look in the little church the pews are beautiful and very unusual. My tip for the fjords is also to have layers of clothing. Going again in August looking forward to it.

The main excursion is to the Briksdal Glacier. You can do it via the ship or there is a local bus and minibuses at the quay. We did it last year but it really wasn't worth the bother. The glacier is tiny and disappointing. A couple on the ship did a coach trip round the local area and enjoyed it. The walk from the quay to 'town' looks pleasant. It's not my favourite Fjords stop apart from the musical Sailaway which you must be on deck for with a glass of something in your hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it worth taking the local currency or do they accept euros or credit cards for even small amounts such as drinks and possibly lunch?

They take credit cards in most places in Norway. I don't know about Euros, we took some Norweigan Kroner (for things like the Bergen Funicular) but didn't have lunch in port as it's really really expensive in Norway. We had a big breakfast and a late-ish lunch back on board or food provided on an excursion!

Edited by P&O SUE

They take credit cards in most places in Norway. I don't know about Euros, we took some Norweigan Kroner (for things like the Bergen Funicular) but didn't have lunch in port as it's really really expensive in Norway. We had a big breakfast and a late-ish lunch back on board or food provided on an excursion!

How much is the Bergen Funicular please. Thanks - all very helpful.

OH NO - when we booked our P and O cruise had an overnight in Flam. But since then they have changed it to a long day in Flam and then heading up to Olden for the overnight. I have booked the train directly so hope they don't cancel the port now!!! Only thing is now friends have decided to join us and there is no availability on the train at the same time as us. Not sure wether to tell them to hang on and wait till we are there or for them to just book another time

OH NO - when we booked our P and O cruise had an overnight in Flam. But since then they have changed it to a long day in Flam and then heading up to Olden for the overnight. I have booked the train directly so hope they don't cancel the port now!!! Only thing is now friends have decided to join us and there is no availability on the train at the same time as us. Not sure wether to tell them to hang on and wait till we are there or for them to just book another time

I can understand ships having overnights in big cities where there is loads to do and people might want to go out for dinner or after dinner but not in very small and quiet ports like Flam or Olden.

'Luckily I did not book the railway trip as others on this forum have recommended but I wonder what would have happened had I did.'

Re booking the train in Flaam ahead privately, I have done that, whoops, and I have paid a small cancellation insurance for a full refund so have no worries in the event of a cancelled port stop.

However, I also know of someone who this happened to and they emailed Flaam and explained and had their ticket refunded without any problem at all. I think the railway company are well aware of the problem and are helpful.

Have to say we were looking at the Briskal glacier - but now I am not so sure - where is best to see glaciers in this region?

We have been on the Kjenndalen Glacier and Lovatnet lake excursion from Olden as an earlier poster mentioned and enjoyed it very much. You do not visit the Glacier though just view it from a distance. The scenery in the Lake was excellent including views of the glacier and after the lake part you visit a bit nearer to the glacier.