Question about St. Thomas and Tortola

fan2daryl

I'm set with my excursions but I have a friend who wants to get off the Escape and be able to walk her family to the beach or something else near the ship so they can go back for naptime without a long ride or a lot of hassle. Are their beaches that are easy to walk to on those two islands and is there anything else that might be close enough to the ship that might be fun to do?

We got a taxi/van driver for the day in St. Thomas, and it was very reasonable. By having the same driver, it was easy to get back to the port without waiting for a driver. We went to Megans Bay which was nice but crowded.

It's Magen's Bay, and there are no beaches within walking distance in St. Thomas.

That's interesting. We've walked all over that island, although obviously not across the mountain in the middle. We flew into the airport there and walked to our hotel at Lindbergh Bay. We then walked from there to the shopping at Havensight, and also took the skyride up to Paradise Point. We then walked back to our hotel on Emerald Bay... I guess it all depends on what you consider to be walking distance.

That's interesting. We've walked all over that island, although obviously not across the mountain in the middle. We flew into the airport there and walked to our hotel at Lindbergh Bay. We then walked from there to the shopping at Havensight, and also took the skyride up to Paradise Point. We then walked back to our hotel on Emerald Bay... I guess it all depends on what you consider to be walking distance.

Children with nap times might have less walking range.:D

What is the name of the beach within walking distance of the ship? How long is the walk?

Lindbergh Beach is 6km (around 3 3/4 miles) from the ship according to Google Maps. Frenchman's Reef is about 1/2 that, but not walkable.

Edit: If you're docking in Crown Bay, it's much closer to Lindbergh.

Edited by mraven

Lindbergh/Emerald is a relatively level about 4 mile walk from Havensight. Frenchman's Reef /Morningstar is much shorter, but not a walk for small ones & the traffic can be a problem. It will be warm & the sun is fierce

Taxi to Lindbergh is $6 per person. To the wonderful north shore beaches, the cost is in the $10-12 range.

You're talking nearly 2 hours walking at a good pace to Lindbergh & back carrying all the beach gear. Your friend might talk to of the hotels on Lindbergh to see if they can rent a room for the day if they want to spend all day at the beach, or taxi to Morningstar for a few hours, then back to the ship for a nap & then over to the Butterfly Garden at Havensight & the tram to Paradise Point

The beaches in Tortola are even farther away & definitely not walkable. Taxis are more reasonable. The Baths on the island of Virgin Gorda are spectacular, but difficult to do & expensive with small ones. Take a taxi to Cane Garden Bay, maybe a 2o minute ride.

Edited by HarpHarp

The beaches in Tortola are even farther away & definitely not walkable. Taxis are more reasonable. The Baths on the island of Virgin Gorda are spectacular, but difficult to do & expensive with small ones. Take a taxi to Cane Garden Bay, maybe a 2o minute ride.

I think we are going to plan on Cane Garden Bay for our time in Tortola. Are there loungers, bars, food, etc., here? Thanks! :)

I'm set with my excursions but I have a friend who wants to get off the Escape and be able to walk her family to the beach or something else near the ship so they can go back for naptime without a long ride or a lot of hassle. Are their beaches that are easy to walk to on those two islands and is there anything else that might be close enough to the ship that might be fun to do?

There are no beaches within walking distance of either of the two ports you mention.

I think we are going to plan on Cane Garden Bay for our time in Tortola. Are there loungers, bars, food, etc., here? Thanks! :)

Yes, lounges to rent & I think maybe 6 places for drinks & food. It is a very large beach.

I lived n St Thomas for several years & most of the island is not very walkable. The area described by Lrg Pizza is the exception, being a small area totally along the harbor. We used to walk from Havensight to Mornignstar, but when I was there in November, the traffic & condition of the road would make it uncomfortable for most pax. Walking from Mountain Top to Hull Bay is easy, but the walk back is the killer, and that is true of most beaches:D

When we went to St Thomas in November 2015 we actually had to tender because there were so many other ships in port that day. Take that into consideration when trying to get around on your own. So much traffic! Ugh. Tortola was better but roads are steep and winding just be aware if anyone gets car sick.

Anyone know where this beach is located at the Baths? Is it the beach you reach after you have done the walk through the rock formations?

Yes this is the beach you get to after walking through the rock formations; however, there is a much shorter and potentially less congested route through a path from the parking lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes this is the beach you get to after walking through the rock formations; however' date=' there is a much shorter and potentially less congested route through a path from the parking lot.

[/quote']

Yes, you could do that (parking lot), but you`d miss some spectacular scenery. I think this girl is there every day...

86414307_1280x720.jpg

Yes this is the beach you get to after walking through the rock formations; however' date=' there is a much shorter and potentially less congested route through a path from the parking lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Was just curious which beach it was for future reference. There is another beach on the other side of the formations ( from one of 3 paths from the top ) and I did not know if it was this beach or the one at the end of the walk through.

We are going to Jost Van Dyke instead. Will have to save the Baths for another trip after NCL either adds some more hours to the port stop or solves the issues with their excursion to the Baths. Current situation sounds like a nightmare last report I read.

Will have to save the Baths for another trip after NCL either adds some more hours to the port stop or solves the issues with their excursion to the Baths. Current situation sounds like a nightmare last report I read.

Could you add more specifics please? Thinking of doing this through NCL in March.

I've been to the Baths several times in the past. I love it have been telling my husband how wonderful it is. Our trip in November when we were on the Escape was a disappointment. The trail to the Baths and the Baths and Devils Beach area were very crowded, taking nearly 1 hour to get through to Devils Bay, after 30+ minutes down the trail. The park & Tortola/Virgin Gorda in general is just not equipped to handle 4-6k passengers on the short port stops.

My advice if you want to see it, take the Devils Bay trail down &back up or take a snorkel/ baths excursion.

If I had known how crowded it would be, I would have taken the ferry to VG then taxi to Spring Bay, which has similar topography to the baths

http://www.bvivacation.com/images/spring_bay_virgin_gorda_BVI.jpg

Or stayed on Tortola & headed to Brewers or Smuggler's Cove