Belfast ----- Giants Causeway

cynbar

We're booked on a private tour of Belfast for our British Isles cruise next May, and I'm looking for a little more info about the causeway. Is the walk down and then back up as daunting as it looks? I understand there is a bus --- has anyone tried this, and what is the price? Are there any views from the top if we decided not to go down? DH is 60 and not handicapped by any means, no cane or walker, but he has a few issues with a stiff back and knee. He walks just fine, but from pictures this looks more like a hike, pretty strenuous. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated, we have been to Ireland before but are really looking forward to touring Northern Ireland.

We did a private tour this past May, walking down to the water's edge and onto the outcropping of rocks. The walk down was very easy; we saw the small bus when we were ready to return, but were told it was only for those on a tour. So, we walked back up to the visitor's center to meet up with your driver.

We're in our 60's. I can out walk/run DH, but everyone's physical endurance is different. Ask your private guide if the bus is included or if you can pay extra to use the service. You cannot appreciate and enjoy this tour without going all the way down to see the stones.

Darcy

Just did it in August on a private tour (just myself and wife). We walked down, very nice walk, going up is a different story, yes it is very doable, and many do it, but there is a bus that will take you back up, was very cheap, 1 Euro (or whatever the currency was,lol) Think the last bus up is around 1830 or 1845

Edited by flames9

Just did it in August on a private tour (just myself and wife). We walked down, very nice walk, going up is a different story, yes it is very doable, and many do it, but there is a bus that will take you back up, was very cheap, 1 Euro (or whatever the currency was,lol) Think the last bus up is around 1830 or 1845

It's a £1 as in GB Pound 'lol'

We're booked on a private tour of Belfast for our British Isles cruise next May, and I'm looking for a little more info about the causeway. Is the walk down and then back up as daunting as it looks? I understand there is a bus --- has anyone tried this, and what is the price? Are there any views from the top if we decided not to go down? DH is 60 and not handicapped by any means, no cane or walker, but he has a few issues with a stiff back and knee. He walks just fine, but from pictures this looks more like a hike, pretty strenuous. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated, we have been to Ireland before but are really looking forward to touring Northern Ireland.

We did Giant's Causeway and Rope Bridge with Odyssey and loved it.

Very few persons we saw took the bus down the hill. We walked it and we are in our late 60s.

The Rope Bridge is a far longer walk, but we enjoyed that as well.

We started to do the rope bridge..but a 30 min wait to get across....then u had to wait again to come back.....so said do we want to wait in line or get going to see other stuff..so we turned around and walked back,lol The beauty of just being my wife and I on our tour!! We used taxi trax and they were great..our driver Gerard was awesome! We did sort of a Games of throne tour (but not) and finished up with a very quick Political tour. 1 of our favorite tours of our British Isles cruise

Thanks, everybody. I saw the bus mentioned on a couple of the Trip Advisor reviews, and it didn't say anything about being reserved for tours. Has anyone actually taken it? The walk should be fine for me and I hope for DH, but he may not go down if he doesn't think he has a fallback plan if needed to go back up the hill.

The walk down (and back up again) is on a road, not necessarily a paved road, but definitely not qualifying as rough walking. To walk on the causeway itself, that's a different matter, but you don't need to do that anyway - you can get right up to the blocks on level ground.

The bus was open to the general public when I was there.

Thanks, everybody. I saw the bus mentioned on a couple of the Trip Advisor reviews, and it didn't say anything about being reserved for tours. Has anyone actually taken it? The walk should be fine for me and I hope for DH, but he may not go down if he doesn't think he has a fallback plan if needed to go back up the hill.

it is not reserved for tours...anyone can take it down or up..u just pay for it!

We were at the Giants Causeway this past May. I just love it. One of the really unique natural places I have seen in the world. Enjoy your visit there.

The bus down and back to the the Causeway run on a regular basis. They do now charge to ride the bus. We paid 1 GBP each as noted above to ride the bus back up. We had walked down and had no problems. It is not a steep incline either way but walking up hill is always more challenging than walking down.

Edited by spirit rev

Thank you all so much, sounds like our problem is solved. We may well make it both down and up the hill, but it's a big help to know that we can take the bus back up if needed. The causeway sounds lovely, wouldn't want to miss it. Thanks again for reassuring us.

We took the bus down then walked around four 5 minutes before heading back up on the same bus that dropped us off. Not much to see unless you love rocks..

IMG_3838.jpg

My wife thought it was fascinating.....I was like, ok, its some neat shaped rocks and water.......We didnt spend a lot of time at the bottom,lol

I guess now I need to ask --- what is the big attraction here? Doesn't look from that picture like it is too exciting, yet most visitors to the Belfast area are encouraged to go there.

Your time is best spent in a local town with some great pubs....thats where the fun is. 2 hours from Belfast to the Causeway and 2 hours back to port is not time well spent in my opinion.

We stopped here in Ballycastle:

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I guess now I need to ask --- what is the big attraction here? Doesn't look from that picture like it is too exciting, yet most visitors to the Belfast area are encouraged to go there.

The tour that we took included Giant's Causeway, Rope Bridge, a quaint seaside port and some scenic places.

The GC had rock formations that I have never seen anywhere else. It is not the Grand Canyon, but it is moving in that direction.

Some people might be more interested in staying in the city and drinking in a pub, but natural wonders are great. That is why many people cruise places like Alaska and Around the Horn of South America.

The Rope Bridge had a lot of history behind it and some magnificent views.

We also did a driving tour of the troubles area in Belfast, which was interesting as well.

I think that picture has been specifically chosen to look boring. Google it, and you'll find much more interesting rock formations to look at.

But then again, not much to see at the Grand Canyon unless you like holes in the ground. Not much to see at the Great Pyramid unless you like stones. Not much to see at the White House unless you like white paint. I could go on. ;)

The Causeway is a World Heritage site with its columns, the result of ancient volcanic activity, looking like stepping stones. I suggest you read the Finn McCool story - a classic Celtic legend as your first step in understanding the appeal of the site.

When we did the tour, driving from Belfast, our guide played a wonderful recording of the Finn McCool legend, complete with haunting music to cement the legend in our mind.

Darcy

The tour that we took included Giant's Causeway, Rope Bridge, a quaint seaside port and some scenic places.

The GC had rock formations that I have never seen anywhere else. It is not the Grand Canyon, but it is moving in that direction.

Some people might be more interested in staying in the city and drinking in a pub, but natural wonders are great. That is why many people cruise places like Alaska and Around the Horn of South America.

The Rope Bridge had a lot of history behind it and some magnificent views.

We also did a driving tour of the troubles area in Belfast, which was interesting as well.

We only had 8 hours in Belfast port and again I would not recommend this tour as too much time in the van/bus to get there and back.

I agree if you are there for a week (land vacation) then by all means i would fit it in for a day tour.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

We were there from 1pm until 10 pm(might have been 11pm) on celebrity Silhoutte...Private tour with just my wife and I (http://www.taxitrax.com/) ...so that save a lot of time...Saw a lot, but we don't dilly dally at sights..we see, and get going. If it interests us, we stay longer..if it doesnt, adios!

We saw: Caincastle, Co Antrium......Cushendun Caves, The rope bridge (but turned around, as long line ups) Giants causeway, Dark hedges...all those are Game of Throne sites, plus we saw a few other spots as well, and enough time to for a brief Political Tour..didnt get to see all the political sites, but enough to appreciate the struggles they have gone through!! I spent enough time in pubs during my Navy days,lol

I should add, the cabs they use are the London style cabs! Easily fit 5 people! BUT..2 would be facing to the rear, and 1 would be up front with the driver...but oodles of room!!

Edited by flames9

We only had 8 hours in Belfast port and again I would not recommend this tour as too much time in the van/bus to get there and back.

I agree if you are there for a week (land vacation) then by all means i would fit it in for a day tour.

I disagree with you. Our tour was a full day, but we had no problem getting back to the ship.

Unless you are fascinated with the Titanic museum or something like that, a Belfast city tour is only about half a day.

Going outside the city was WELL worth the trip. The countryside was beautiful.

We also had 8 hours in Belfast and we saw So much. We walked across the rope bridge, walked down to the Giants Causeway and took the bus back up, stopped several times to see your beautiful scenery, and had a delicious lunch at the Wee Cottage. The only we didn't have time for was a stop at the distillery. This was by far my favorite port.