small price difference between 7 vs 10 days

BPT

I'm curious about why the 10 day (Society Islands & Tuamotus) is only $100-400 (in Cat C and below) more than the 7 day. Any thoughts as to why? I'm a tinge worried about going crazy being on a ship for 10 days but it seems like such a better deal! Confused as to what the rational might be. Thanks for any thoughts.

I would take the longest cruise you can afford in time and money. Our very first PG cruise was 7 days and we immediately wished it had been longer.

You are traveling 8 hours to arrive and you should at least let it be worth while to you.

We will be on our 8th or 9th cruise on the PG this June and now always look for the longest one.

Keep in mind many people only have a week of vacation so they have nine days so the seven day Saturday through Saturday works out really well thus it's very popular. When things are popular prices stay up. The 10 day or the 11 day are perfect for the first time cruiser to French Polynesia. You get the Society Islands and 2 atolls. this gives you a good understanding of what will float your boat the next time you come.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

When we first sailed the PG in 2000 (!) the 7-day itinerary was almost all they did. For a subsequent trip on the PG, perhaps the next one, we did 2 7-day cruises back-to-back.

So I agree with the others: if you can get the time the 10-day is a better choice. But just the 7-day is also spectacular. And then there's the 14-day to the Marquesas, and the ... (ahem)

One of the nice perqs of the two 7-day cruises back-to-back is at the end of the first one standing on the deck with a refreshing beverage watching the passengers crying and moaning as they are marched off the ship. A little schadenfreude is good for the soul. Of course, 7 days later you will be in that hoard on the gangway of tears.

I also strongly agree that a couple of days pre-cruise is an excellent idea. Get over the jet lag before you board. We personally like Moorea for this, but there are alternatives.

We will be doing two 7 days b2b for the first time in January next year. However, no pre cruise. I will consider my first night on board my rest up day!

We have done a couple of 7 days, several 10 days, a 14 day and even a 17 day.

With the long flights it doesn't make sense to do less than 10 days. But, if there is no way you can get away for 14 days ie 10 day plus precruise then a 7 day with two or theee nights pre cruise is better than not going at all.

The 7-day itinerary is lovely, a perfect introduction to the Society Islands. These are all "high" islands, whereas the Tuamotus are "low", i.e., atolls. So the shorter itinerary is more intense, scenery-wise.

I would have no hesitation doing the 7-day again, having done it 4 times (including the b2b). A pre-cruise stay is the perfect accompaniment, preferably on some lovely island other than Tahiti. But we once did the 7-day with just one night pre-cruise on Tahiti--it was a last-minute bargain, and it was all the time we could afford.

I'm curious about why the 10 day (Society Islands & Tuamotus) is only $100-400 (in Cat C and below) more than the 7 day. Any thoughts as to why? I'm a tinge worried about going crazy being on a ship for 10 days but it seems like such a better deal! Confused as to what the rational might be. Thanks for any thoughts.

I wondered the same thing. We ended up booking the 10-day, because it was, as you say, a much better deal. Turned out there was absolutely no downside to it. It's a no-brainer. Book the 10-day.