? @ Bernards Private Tour and chair/umbrella

DrNora

Hi;

We are taking a private tour with Bernard in July. When the driver takes us to the beaches, are we able to rent chairs and an umbrella?

Are there any beaches you would recommend over others? We will have two 15 year olds and a 13 year old with us..so I am not so hip on the nude beach scene....

This will be the first time that we are not taking a tour thru the cruise line, so I am a 'newbie" to exploring on our own like this!!

THANKS!!

Nora

Edited by DrNora
cannot type for beans!

Do some research here re the beaches. Then contact Bernard and make the arrangement ahead of time. Just tell him what you are looking for and they will take you to that kind of spot.

The beaches on the French side can have the full nudity. Topless can/might be seen on any beach...as well as on other islands. Very common with Europeans.

We did a tour in December with Bernard and chose to go to Gallion instead because of the topless concern. Even though orient was packed when we drove by, we had Gallion to ourselves. Not much to see in the way of snorkeling but the beach was clean with chairs and a closed off swimming area if wanted. There were a few vendors for massages and necklace purchase.

All of the most popular beaches rent chairs and umbrellas.

I really recommend Orient for a first timer, just to see it.

The 'nudity' is really limited to the sourthern most .3 miles of the 1.3 mile long beach, in front of the Club Orient Resort, where clothing is optional, nudity is NOT required.

Topless may be observed on any French side beach and on some Dutch side beaches, but 'legally' I belive nudity is limited to Club Orient.

gary

There are tons of 'beach clubs' along Orient Beach - all of which will 'rent' you chairs and umbrellas.

Last time we toured with Bernard he dropped us off at one of those - we were able to rent chairs/umbrellas at a reasonable cost (and a drink was included in the price :D)..... you might want to ask him this question as he will know where you will be dropped off.

I agree that you don't want to miss Orient beach as it is gorgeous - and if you veer/stay to the left (when facing the water) you should be okay!

This is where we were dropped off:

Nov2012BreezeTA1273.jpg

Nov2012BreezeTA1271.jpg

Edited by Froufie

There are tons of 'beach clubs' along Orient Beach - all of which will 'rent' you chairs and umbrellas.

Last time we toured with Bernard he dropped us off at one of those - we were able to rent chairs/umbrellas at a reasonable cost (and a drink was included in the price :D)..... you might want to ask him this question as he will know where you will be dropped off.

I agree that you don't want to miss Orient beach as it is gorgeous - and if you veer/stay to the left (when facing the water) you should be okay!

Nov2012BreezeTA1273.jpg

Nov2012BreezeTA1271.jpg

I can live with this!! Thanks for all your replies. We have been to ST M about 4 times but have never taken a non-cruise ship sponsored excursion.Seems like we are making the right choice this time!!!

Nora

• 2 weeks later...
If you click on my Breeze review link below - near my signature - and find post #192 and beyond - you can see pics/review of Bernard's tour! :)

thanks so much your review seals the deal for me for ST Maartin excursion I will show my fellow cruise mates your review pics too!!! We sail on the Breeze 8 night cruise out of Miami Sept 13, 2014!!!

thanks so much your review seals the deal for me for ST Maartin excursion I will show my fellow cruise mates your review pics too!!! We sail on the Breeze 8 night cruise out of Miami Sept 13, 2014!!!

I agree-Bernard's Tours is great and reasonable! We went to the same spot at Orient, and it was gorgeous and not real crowded!

Your pics are awesome!

thanks - Glad you enjoyed the pics - can't go wrong with Bernard's tour! :)

We used Bernard last Spring and were very happy. We had our two young daughters with us (9 and 7 at the time) and there was only 1 lady with her top off in the family area of Orient Beach. My girls didn't even notice her and she was not one anyone wanted to see anyway.

The one thing about Orient Beach is that there are rocks under the water, so bring water shoes and the waves were very rough when we went. Just be careful and watch where you walk. The beach is beautiful, though.

I would ask your tour guide to spend as much time as you can at Maho, though. We only got about 2 hours there and it was definitely not enough!!! That was the last stop and we could have spent the whole day there, although the rest of the tour was great also!!! The planes coming in were amazing and there is a good restaurant/bar there and shopping in the area. The water is VERY Rough there as the waves are huge. My girls lost there masks in the waves at Orient and never found them and then my husband lost one of his contacts in the waves at Maho. Make sure everyone is a good swimmer, but the views are breathtaking. We were on the Dream last year when it got stranded in St. Martin and we were so disappointed we only had 2 hours to spend at Maho. We wanted to stay there the whole day. Lucky for us, the next day we were allowed to go off the boat on our own before our planes arrived to take us back to the states, and we took a cab and spent the WHOLE day at Maho. It was great!!!

I would definitely recommend Bernards tours, though. Good sense of humor and good taste of the whole island.

Nov2012BreezeTA1273.jpg

Nov2012BreezeTA1271.jpg

Which "club" is this?

Thanks,

Brad

Well so far I was very impressed sent him an email to request and make sure that we saw the big planes come in this time. He responded back in 15 min. ( we had been there before on a tour and was told we would...so he said he would make sure. then also my husband is a big harley davidson bike rider and wanted to get a t-shirt and he said he would make sure that he would get there. ) So I am looking forward to this and hope this was best choice then just taking a taxi to both places ...I felt this was going to be the best for the amount of time for the tour and price.

• 4 months later...

I am bumping this thread as there are several new folks with the same questions I had a few months ago. Check out all the good info found here!,,

Edited by DrNora
Big typos