Which pier Sept 27th QM2

Jimsgirl

Due to board on Sat (leaving home Friday).

Read in Roll Call that pier has been changed and time change. Cunard has NOT informed me of either of these changes.

Please can any passengers confirm which Pier I need to go, and what earliest time I can arrive. Normally I use Cunard transport this time I am going by cab from Times Square.

Thank you for immediate assistance.

Lynn

Hi Jimsgirl, we received this yesterday from Cunard, hope it helps:

Dear Guest

I hope you are looking forward to joining us on board Queen Mary 2 this Saturday.

Please note that due to tidal restrictions Queen Mary 2 will berth slightly later than scheduled at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal Pier 88. In light of this, we would ask that you arrive for check in, an hour later than stated on your ticket.

We look forward to welcoming you on board. Bon Voyage! Yours sincerely,

sig-CU.gif

Angus Struthers

Director, Cunard

Thank you for your help everyone.

I did try calling Cunard, before posting on here , it was very weird, the girl INSISTED that QM2 would be at RED HOOK on Saturday, "She ALWAYS uses Red Hook" was her mantra. Hope she does not speak with any first timers who do not know this site.

Brigitte, - After the snowstorm in 2009 I always check the bridge-cam to make sure where the ship is. It has now become a joke with my NY driver as we pull away from the hotel that I checked and she's waiting in Brooklyn:D

Thank you for your help everyone.

I did try calling Cunard, before posting on here , it was very weird, the girl INSISTED that QM2 would be at RED HOOK on Saturday, "She ALWAYS uses Red Hook" was her mantra. Hope she does not speak with any first timers who do not know this site.

Yikes, she sounds like management material! :eek::D

The weather forecast calls for warm and sunny weather on Saturday, Lynn. Hope you have a wonderful voyage.

BTW, just so no one is taken by surprise when visiting, there are new enhanced security measures just announced today for NY and NJ. Details here http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2014/09/8553276/cuomo-christie-announce-heightened-security-measures

Salacia

According to the NY Cruise Terminal site the Royal Princess is at Brooklyn.

Manhattan will have AIDAluna, Carnival Splendor, Norwegian Gem and QM2. That is going to be a VERY business area.

That sounds like a complete disaster! Total chaos but I couldn't image what it will be like in that area.

Pack plenty of patience because you are in for a wait.

One small suggestion if you are mobile enough - Have your cabbie or limo drop you off at corner of 11th Ave and 52nd (near the Daily Show) and walk the one block over to 12th Ave and 52nd, this will have you a ton of money in cab fare waiting on the ramp.

The pier will be directly across the street and you can take the elevators up to the departures area.

Also if it is pier 88 what is the address? I presume the taxi driver will need to know. They dont seem to automatically know.
Subtract 40 from the pier number to get the street number. Pier 88 is at 48th Street.

On my e-ticket it says pier 92 but in the email & text message I received this week it says pier 88. Which is correct?

I'm pretty sure all the Manhattan piers share a common entrance. It's just a matter of stopping a few yards earlier or later.

Roy

As crowded as the Manhattan terminal will be, it could have been worse if the NCL Breakaway was there, instead of the NCL Gem...:eek:

The QM2 usually sails from Brooklyn, but it seems that whenever that coincides with a Princess sailing, the Princess ship gets preference at Brooklyn. I don't know the logic of that, except perhaps, Princess has a larger proportion of 'local' passenger's, that are parking their cars at the pier, while Cunard draws more 'distant' passenger's that are flying (and taxiing) in, so leaving from one pier, and arriving back at another, has less impact.

And here's a bit of trivia for you....

Which is the only passenger ship that has sailed out of all three New York ports.....Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ)?

That's right...the QM2. During one extremely busy cruise day a few years ago, it disembarked at Brooklyn, then shifted over to Cape Liberty to embark the next cruise. Passenger's were bussed over to Cape Liberty to embark from Brooklyn. The reason was, it had to make room for a Princess cruise landing right behind it, and the Manhattan terminal was also fully occupied that day.

To my knowledge, that was the only time a non-RCI or Celebrity ship used Cape Liberty. When the QM2 returned from that cruise, it went to Brooklyn.

And here's a bit of trivia for you....

Which is the only passenger ship that has sailed out of all three New York ports.....Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ)?

That's right...the QM2. During one extremely busy cruise day a few years ago, it disembarked at Brooklyn, then shifted over to Cape Liberty to embark the next cruise. Passenger's were bussed over to Cape Liberty to embark from Brooklyn. The reason was, it had to make room for a Princess cruise landing right behind it, and the Manhattan terminal was also fully occupied that day.

To my knowledge, that was the only time a non-RCI or Celebrity ship used Cape Liberty. When the QM2 returned from that cruise, it went to Brooklyn.

Hi bob brown

In 2006 QM2 docked at Bayonne at the end of a transatlantic crossing (left Southampton on 25th September).

(Seen here from inside the coach as we left the ship:

QM2 ...leaving BAYONNE we say farewell to QUEEN MARY 2...

A shot from the stern rail of dawn over Brooklyn, and also of lower Manhattan:

QM2 ...the STERN RAIL and MANHATTAN...

Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty seen from the stern rail of QM2:

QM2 ...Manhattan and Lady Liberty... ).

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

I am not sure of the date of the visit to Cape Liberty....perhaps that was the one I recalled...not sure, but the year seems about right...

Pier 88 in Manhattan was modernized and widened a bit, but not lengthened beyond the 1,000 foot Pierhead Line. This was done primarily to better accommodate big ships like the NCL Breakaway. I don't think they are allowed to lengthen the pier's beyond that line.

Hi bob brown

In 2006 QM2 docked at Bayonne at the end of a transatlantic crossing (left Southampton on 25th September).

(Seen here from inside the coach as we left the ship:

QM2 ...leaving BAYONNE we say farewell to QUEEN MARY 2...

A shot from the stern rail of dawn over Brooklyn, and also of lower Manhattan:

QM2 ...the STERN RAIL and MANHATTAN...

Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty seen from the stern rail of QM2:

QM2 ...Manhattan and Lady Liberty... ).

Best wishes :)

Actually the departure from Southampton was September 24, 2006 with arrival in Bayonne on September 30th. Our M&G for that crossing was September 25th

I am not sure of the date of the visit to Cape Liberty....perhaps that was the one I recalled...not sure, but the year seems about right...
Well she arrived in Bayonne after a crossing from Southampton, not a repositioning crossing from Red Hook (;)), so I'd guess you're thinking of a different date.

After I disembarked, QM2 left on a cruise, so I understand.

Until your post, I must say that I thought that 2006 visit was the only time she had visited Bayonne, but it seems I may be mistaken.

(Not sure if things have improved at Bayonne since 2006, but I must say that the so-called "terminal building" there, the treatment of QM2's passengers, our welcome to the U.S. and the general organisation of the shore-side facilities, onward transportation etc, was without doubt the worst I've ever experienced in all my sailings (none of it Cunard's fault). I'd cancel any crossing or cruise I'd booked if I subsequently discovered it was starting or finishing at Bayonne :mad: ).

Best wishes,

Actually the departure from Southampton was September 24, 2006 with arrival in Bayonne on September 30th. Our M&G for that crossing was September 25th
Thank you lannp for the correction, I did think as I wrote that I was a day out, plus I knew we arrived in New York on the 30th, not 1st October. I remember the M&G very well :) .

Thank you again :)

Edited by pepperrn