What's the service like with the Premium Drinks Package.

Cardiff Cruisers

I was wondering if you still get good service if you have the Premium Drinks Package. I ask this as the staff won't be directly getting any gratuities or hit any targets they may have as they would with a normal transaction so therefore once they get to know you have a PDP they may prefer to serve others first.

Similar to having a soft drink package and asking the waiters by the pool or in the Theatre for a coke...they would prefer to get a proper sale IMO.

Never had a problem. One bartender told me they do get the gratuities from the packages, but it's rolled into their pay somehow.

In fact the martini bar guys on the Solstice were great and made sure we tried the full menu :)

Never had a problem. One bartender told me they do get the gratuities from the packages, but it's rolled into their pay somehow.

In fact the martini bar guys on the Solstice were great and made sure we tried the full menu :)

Similar situation, never had bad service, in fact quite often got drinks delivered before asking for the card. They would see us come in and sit down and then bring the usual drinks. cheers:D

Service was an issue in the early days of the package but last year on Eclipse we had no issues with our package and actually found the wine waiter was almost more attentive than we had on later cruises when we were buying bottles and waiting for our glasses to be topped up (we would top ourselves up when drinking red, white not so easy!)

no service problems at all. I wonder how their tips are calculated. One thing I did notice was that on the last night when the bill was delivered, it seemed to have more drinks on there than we ordered. For example, it showed that we had three glasses of wine at dinner most nights according to the bill, and we never had more than two glasses each a night. We noticed this in other bars as well. I didn't care since they were all zero charges, but it made me think that they probably got a portion of the tip pool based on how many drinks they served.

no service problems at all. I wonder how their tips are calculated. One thing I did notice was that on the last night when the bill was delivered, it seemed to have more drinks on there than we ordered. For example, it showed that we had three glasses of wine at dinner most nights according to the bill, and we never had more than two glasses each a night. We noticed this in other bars as well. I didn't care since they were all zero charges, but it made me think that they probably got a portion of the tip pool based on how many drinks they served.

Maybe it was because they topped up the glass for you.

As stated before we have always had great service

You'll get the same excellent service with or without the drink card. In fact, we tip additional for every round we order and after a day or two, we find ourselves a good server and make sure we take care of them, as they take care of us.

We don't buy the card because although we like to drink, we've found that we don't want to drink fairly heavily every day. We will drink maybe $50 a day each for 2 or 3 days then slack off for a couple of days where maybe we only have a drink or two all day. Our bar tabs are about half of what a premium package would cost and we drink as much as wish, when we wish. Works for us, maybe not for others. And, on a week cruise I could drink 5 of the 7 days, but the 12-14 day cruises take the steam out of us as far as drinking goes.

Of course, I should mention the specialty coffees, juices and other non-alcoholic drinks have no value to us, many enjoy them and that helps in getting value from the drink packages.

One thing I did notice was that on the last night when the bill was delivered, it seemed to have more drinks on there than we ordered. For example, it showed that we had three glasses of wine at dinner most nights according to the bill, and we never had more than two glasses each a night. We noticed this in other bars as well. I didn't care since they were all zero charges, but it made me think that they probably got a portion of the tip pool based on how many drinks they served.

Maybe it was because they topped up the glass for you.

As stated before we have always had great service

Hmmm...interesting. The glass topping up scenario could apply during dinner but unless you were drinking wine in the bars too that would not explain the extra drinks there. But as you say....who cares?....you aren't being charged per drink anyway, and if it does help the staff gain more tips (or some other benefit) I have no problem with that.

Yes, we found the same situation, the bill showed that we were drinking into the wee hours of the morning (we were not). We also supposedly had drinks in 2 bars at the same time and also had drinks in a bar that we never went to, but as you say $0 on the bill, so who cares. Perhaps the staff were having a few or al east racking up a quota for extra tips. cheers mic:D

Yes, we found the same situation, the bill showed that we were drinking into the wee hours of the morning (we were not). We also supposedly had drinks in 2 bars at the same time and also had drinks in a bar that we never went to, but as you say $0 on the bill, so who cares. Perhaps the staff were having a few or al east racking up a quota for extra tips. cheers mic:D

And that will increase the cost of the package.

I had the premium alcohol package.

I noticed whenever I ordered a beverage it was ran up in the computer.

They probably get paid their tips according to the drinks each waiter serves.

Maybe that is why there were more drinks on you ledger than you ordered.

I certanily hope this doesn't affect the package prices.

You'll get the same excellent service with or without the drink card. In fact, we tip additional for every round we order and after a day or two, we find ourselves a good server and make sure we take care of them, as they take care of us. .....

I agree with you..on our Summit cruise earlier this month, after a couple of days, as soon as Patrick, the BarMan at the Aft Sunset Bar, saw me on that exterior stair platform heading down to the Bar..he had my drink ready...not only that..but he prepared my preference based on the time of day..Bloody Mary in the am, a Grey Goose on the rocks with a piece of a lime (usually he poured me a DOUBLE) in the afternoon and Remy Martin after dinner..the man is priceless..though I must admit..he was very well tipped..:rolleyes:

I agree with you..on our Summit cruise earlier this month, after a couple of days, as soon as Patrick, the BarMan at the Aft Sunset Bar, saw me on that exterior stair platform heading down to the Bar..he had my drink ready...not only that..but he prepared my preference based on the time of day..Bloody Mary in the am, a Grey Goose on the rocks with a piece of a lime (usually he poured me a DOUBLE) in the afternoon and Remy Martin after dinner..the man is priceless..though I must admit..he was very well tipped..:rolleyes:

It is nice to get to the bar and have your drink waiting for you or even sit down in the lounge and have them delivered without the request. Great service should always be rewarded.:D

Archived