Before you book NCL Jewel - - - Some thoughts

mortega

We were Platinum on Carnival Cruise Lines about 10 years ago. We hit Platinum with Norwegian last year.

And NOW I'm finding out switching to NCL wasn't an step up???

*LOL* Just kidding.

Both lines work for me.

I read the OP as a somewhat tongue in cheek review. People get weird when they don't agree with others' views, but to me all of these types of reviews, so long as they aren't nasty, are good. It takes all types, and it helps to read through many opinions instead of just reading what you want to hear.

Some of the tattoo comments are a bit over-sensitive. I think it was a joke. I'm at that age where I'm a little past the period where tattoos really became a thing, and I definitely notice when I'm in a place where people have their clothes off how ubiquitous they are. But I had the same feeling on a disney cruise -- "holy crap, everyone has one." Or several. I have no thoughts about tattoos, except for how many bad ones you see. If I were going to spend the money and sit still and have someone poke me for an hour or more, it's hard to imagine I would get one of the ones I see so often when we cruise. Like, I'm not talking about the faded Marine Corps tattoo on the vet by the pool but more like the attractive 20 somethings who have these awful green and black crooked line tattoos that look like they cost $8 in a back alley somewhere. I'd get something good.

The Jewel and also the Pearl are our favorite ships we have ever been on. Love the size. Love the set-up.

But, we have only been to Alaska on these ships. So, there could be a difference in passengers on board. But, I love meeting all sorts of people, so I think I would be comfortable and have fun on any ship and any cruise line. That is one of most enjoyable part of cruising ...... meeting people from all over, from all walks of life!!! I love that!!!!

I stop to visit with folks, with dear husband not realizing I've stopped, until he turns around and finds me WAY back! he, he!!!

But then again, I'm approaching 60, with tattoos and ear piercings! And grey hair!!!! Wild Animal!!!!! ha!

• 3 months later...

My husband and I sailed on the Getaway two years ago and will be sailing on the Escape in 59 days for our wedding anniversary. I loved how laid back NCL is. We had no bad experiences at all and had a fantastic vacation. We expect more of the same on the Escape. I'm very confused about the tattoo thing. I have one in memory of my brother. My husband has one commemorating his service in the US Navy. It bothers you so much then don't pay attention.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

OK, Miss Princess - NCL is not a luxury line, we have to accommodate ourselves.

To us the Jewel was a BIG ship, having been on the Sun prior to our inaugural in 2005. We do almost exclusively T/As, which are about 2 weeks with mostly mature passenger beyond the tattoo age. Makes for a nice atmosphere. To get away from the constant music, we take a balcony cabin - with the sound (and TV) turned off for the duration. And since we like to eat in the buffet, we bring our own cloth place mats, find a quiet spot far away from the food stations. Ya makes yer own luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I started reading this thread because I'm researching Asia and Australia cruises and the Jewel is doing them for next year( note to NCL please give us a hint of 2019 bookings soon!). I haven't sailed the Jewel, though I have the Jade.

With the exception of the comments on tattoos (who cares?), and drinking by the pool (I am so shocked! Again, so what?), I thought a number of comments like those about housekeeping were valid, if a little over the top.Food is subjective. But I did react to what I thought was the tone of the post. Why bring up things like tattoos otherwise? ( and if anyone can explain to this 68 yr old grandma why they matter, please try).

I too think she might be happier on another line. But I bet every line gets someone who isn't happy.

I think the Jewel, if she does turn out to be the ship we book, will make DH and me very happy.

I did not find the OPs comments rude or offensive. I think it is fine for people to have preferences and observations and it makes me a little nervous when people reprimand others for their opinions. But that's just me. But unfortunately for the OP, drinking and cruises seem to go hand in hand, so that will be hard to get away from. And tattoos are everywhere nowadays. They always surprise me too, how prevalent they are, but I have to admit they are kind of growing on me.

Good riddance! It makes me happy to know I don't have to worry about meeting someone like you on an NCL cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Im confused, arent you doing the same thing as the OP judging other people. I know my grammar and all that will stink. I am mad. She said her opinion and most replies are not helpful just negative. She had some nice things to say and some bad. Tatoos are not an everyday thing to some people and yes i have them. She gave her experience. Why all the bashing?

To address the other question posted....NCL Jewel is going to do Australia /Asia cruises this fall to spring.

We are on the Sydney to Hong Kong part of the repositioning cruise next spring. It then goes on to Tokyo.

Many from Australia are doing this cruise because it may be the last, for awhile. it is not clear if NCL will be able to get docking in Sydney after that. Apparently , they applied too late and after other cruise lines.

This was the explanation we received when we inquired why it sold out in 2 weeks.

Cruises very far out are always in flux. As many here know. This may all change .

Hi Everyone,

We just got back from he 7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise on he Jewell. It was a little different than I expected. So here are some things you might want to consider.

1. If you have lots of tattoos ..... you might like NCL

2. If you want to sit around and drink all day long at the pool with ....you might like NCL.

3. If you don't care about great food....you might like NCL. (To be fair the buffets had some good food, but for fancy dinners the food is awful.)

4. If you are in Risk Management and seeing kids running amok in he pool area and spa with parents lounging with drinks...you might hate NCL.

5. If you like an all inclusive ... you might hate NCL...unless you pre buy all sorts of plans.

6. If you hate being nickle and dimed, you will hate NCL.

7. If you are looking for a really laid back relaxed non pretentious time...you might like NCL.

8. The Jewell is small for a cruise ship...but really big enough.

9. The water slide is for kids. Slow, but I loved that as my kids are afraid of fast ones.

10. You don't mind your kids.....mine hated the kids program Splash academy...so they hung out with us for most of the cruise (8 and 10.)

11. If you like music.....you might like NCL. At least on Jewell there was a lot of music - ironically not Salsa or flamenco in Mexico but what ever...It was nice. Not in morning, but started afternoon and all night.

12. If you are not too uptight about cabin.......you might love NCL. (Our cabin was not always cleaned up well, only received towel animals half the time, bunk bed was not pulled down most of the time...same with my mom in other cabin.)

13. If you love to dance at night....and DONT get seasick... you might like the NCL. The main dance floor is on 13th floor in he very front...so if you are prone to sea sickness is awful.

14. Kids are okay everywhere! That is generally a good thing. Most kids where well behaved. I liked being able to bring them most places. I was bummed so many events thought were 13 and up for adult content. - So lastly. I thought there was way too much sexual innuendo - even in he kid friendly comedy shows and acts. Seriously...???

15. If you never want to dress up and want to wear shorts and t-shirts the whole time ...you found your cruise line! (Although there is opportunity to dress up if you want.)

I discovered I am more of a Princess sort of girl. I fully admit I can be sort of uptight. However, I had a great time. The first two days I was like get me off, but then I settled in. The ship was so dated! The people were .... well too casual lets say for me... It is sort of a what happens on the Jewell stays on the Jewell. There were surely really elegant couples who were super "classy", but you only saw them slow dancing piano or jazz music. I never saw them in he buffet! There are several paid for restaurants which is probably where "those types" ate. But there were all types of people. Classy to ghetto - thought mostly somewhere in between. I won't say I would never take NCL again, I might. But next time I want to try another line.

P.S. I am 40 and from Southern California, married, with 2 kids.

Lost all credit-ability after point #1. Apparently liking/having tattoos makes you "those types"

The negative tone of this post is offensive to me and after the first 2 points all of it sounds negative even the sort of positive ones - Here are my thoughts

1. Tattoos - why is liking NCL (not even Jewell that the OP sailed on) dependent on tattoos? Whether someone has a tattoo(s) doesn't affect my cruise - doesn't make it better or worse.

2. Drink by the Pool - I'm on vacation, others are on vacation - again what does drinking by the pool have anything to do liking or disliking NCL Jewell?

3. Food - is very subjective

4. Kids running around - hmmmm, where are the parents and why is NCL responsible for parenting? I've been on several cruise lines - happens on Royal, Carnival and Princess

5. and 6. All inclusive -- Princess has specialty restaurants, tips you have to pay, shopping and excursions, bingo and charge for alcohol and has beverage packages -- nickel and dime??

7. Non-pretensious time??? don't get that

8. Jewell small ship - NCL has all sizes of ships just like all the other cruise lines. I picked Jade for my next cruise and the Escape after that. I usually check size and number of passengers.

9. 10. Kids and slides - can't respond as my kids are already grown

12. Cabin cleaning - I have been cruising at least once a year for 30 years - it has happened in the past - very easily

remedied by talking to the steward or complaining to guest services --

13. Dance - yes I like to dance and I do at Royal and Carnival and will on the Jade - thanks for the info

14. Sexual Innuendo - my kids are grown and everyone has a right to parent as they wish. - we were pretty open with our kids and discussed it with them fairly early to prevent them from picking up inaccurate information and get into trouble by not being aware of things. This was not a problem for us. So as a parent I had control over this. This would have a been a real complaint if I were in OP's shoes given how she feels.

15. Gone are the old days of cruising of wearing tuxes and suits to dinner every night - you can be casual and be "classy" whatever that means. I don't pay attention what everyone else is wearing...they are on vacation an so am I.

I guess I'm an all cruise line type of a girl that has cruised Princess, Carnival and have diamond status with Royal. I will be on NCL for the first time in 25 years. I don't foresee my cruise experience on the Jade (sister ship to Jewell) to be like this at all.

9. The water slide is for kids. Slow, but I loved that as my kids are afraid of fast ones.

You lost all credibility with this one. Stop being a helicopter parent. Kids get hurt, take chances, learn from mistakes.

The tattoo comment was over the top.

Seriously, stick with the stay cations. I bet you would curl up into a ball and die if you went to Europe.

To address the other question posted....NCL Jewel is going to do Australia /Asia cruises this fall to spring.

We are on the Sydney to Hong Kong part of the repositioning cruise next spring. It then goes on to Tokyo.

Many from Australia are doing this cruise because it may be the last, for awhile. it is not clear if NCL will be able to get docking in Sydney after that. Apparently , they applied too late and after other cruise lines.

This was the explanation we received when we inquired why it sold out in 2 weeks.

Cruises very far out are always in flux. As many here know. This may all change .

Thank you so much for that information. I know a lot can change in one or 2 years, but I love researching this stuff, and this cruise will be for a special occasion. We don't expect to book the Joy, since her cruises tend to be shorter than we're looking for..

It still sounds like we would enjoy the Jewel as much as we liked the Jade, with similar size and amenities. And mostly nice people having a good time.

I'm 75, and was on the Jewel in May for Alaska. We had a ball. In fact, so much so, that we're considering the Escape for December. The ship ans crew were great, and the entertainment pretty good. Not like the big ships, but we weren't expecting that. Our only disappointment was Murano, where the service was awful, and the food not much better. The MDR food was good, not great, but we don't expect great in any MDR. Cagney's was excellent, as was Tappanyaki.