Kids on Celebrity?

We just took our last cruise on Carnival. While our cruise had 1500 kids on it a week ago, we were told one of the Celebrity ships in port only had 9. Looking for a cruise line with few-no kids and some peace and quiet! Is Celebrity the right choice for us?:confused:

Edited by Havana Daydreamer
error

We just took our last cruise on Carnival. While our cruise had 1500 kids on it a week ago, we were told one of the Celebrity ships in port only had 9. Looking for a cruise line with few-no kids and some peace and quiet! Is Celebrity the right choice for us?:confused:

You will have fewer kids then on Carnival, but even Celebrity gets plenty of kids at Spring Break Time (you will not catch us dead or alive on a short cruise during that time of the year). Your best bet to minimize kids would be a HAL cruise.

Hank

We just sailed on Celebrity Constellation. March 31 sailing for 5 nights. It's Spring Break for us. Including my DS13, there were about 200 children on board. About 90 in the teen set. Don't know about college aged.

I would think time of year would greatly affect the ratio of children to adults for any sailing.

I'm on Equinox right now and there are 9 younger kids and 7 teenagers. If you want less kids, sail on longer cruises. This cruise is 10 days.

But if you sail longer cruises like the one you are on, won't you get more people who are retired? Not that I'm knocking being retired as I am, but isn't there also something nice about cruising with younger people?

I'm on Equinox right now and there are 9 younger kids and 7 teenagers. If you want less kids, sail on longer cruises. This cruise is 10 days.

We just got off Equinox yesterday for the 11 night cruise with our 3 and 6 year old sons. 50 under the age of 18, 12-15 in the 3-9 range. It was fantastic and the kids club is spectacular.

Longer cruises (13 or 14+ days) like transatlantics, have very few kids. None of my last five cruises (with Celebrity) had even 20 kids, one cruise had only 12. ;)

But if you sail longer cruises like the one you are on, won't you get more people who are retired? Not that I'm knocking being retired as I am, but isn't there also something nice about cruising with younger people?

Who the heck wants to be around all those pesky 20, 30 and 40 somethings? "Listening to punk rock music and bad mouthing their country." :eek: :D :p

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/02/21/michelle-obama-young-people-are-knuckleheads/

I too do the longer cruises and you could count the children on one hand. The number of "retired" passengers or older set did not seem to be significantly higher to me and I am in my 40s. I also cruise at off times that are not desirable to those traveling with kids. Less kids around and lower prices.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

My favorite cruise was a very long (about 2 months) Prinsendam cruise where the youngest passenger was 22 years old. And the only reason she (Jennifer) was on the ship was to be the companion to her Grandmother! And yes, nearly all the passengers were retired and a great group.

Hank

We were on the Summit in January and I'd guess there were 9-10 kids total on the ship. I purposely timed it for when kids were not on any break. But the overall age of the passengers was older - lots in their 60's. On the reflection March 22 and it apparently was spring break for lots of kids. Someone said 400 kids on the ship? And I don't think there was a lot for the older kids to do so they just roamed around and it was disruptive sometimes. But the overall age of the adult passengers was definitely lower - many in their 30's and 40's.

So, it depends. I think you will get what you want as far as fewer kids if you don't sail during school breaks. But you may also get older passengers. I'd choose the older passengers - everyone was very nice and fun.

• People in their mid-twenties to early fifties are more likely to have kids and be traveling with their kids
  • People less likely to have kids will be in their sixties and above and are statistically more likely to be retired (and/or just act "old")
  • People not in either of these groups are most often classified as "kids".

I do not know of a line that caters primarily to 30-45 year olds without any kids. (and then you'd probably get a bunch of people who'd want to travel with their pets or something else :D)

I'm thinking what you really want is a line that has great activities for kids and teens and even then travel at times when most schools are likely to be in session.

Just returned from a 7 day Silhouette cruise yesterday. Even though it is spring break, I saw only a handful of school aged kids (and a baby or two) aboard. They didn't seem to be causing any trouble. We normally wouldn't sail during spring break but took a chance because we gathered from previous cruise critic postings that Celebrity attracted fewer families with children than Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean (I have never sailed any of those lines during spring or Christmas break and probably never would). Even being spring break, I saw less children on this cruise than I have ever seen on any other cruise on the other lines at any other time.

Was on Reflection March 22-29 and there were (what seemed to be like) a ton of kids.

The used the Hideaway as their personal hang out (12-15 yrs old)

Kids had to be asked to get out of the pool in the Adults Only Solarium.

And kids running around the buffet making a lot of noise, spilling soup all over the table and running away laughing. I would have liked to see Celebrity staff put a stop to this but parents are at fault as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a fact. Celebrity is a great adult friendly NO KID ZONE.

Just stay away from the school breaks like we do and you will more than likely see the most bored 7 or 8 kids on a boat you WILL EVER HAVE SEEN. :D

We were on the Summit in January and I'd guess there were 9-10 kids total on the ship. I purposely timed it for when kids were not on any break. But the overall age of the passengers was older - lots in their 60's.

So, it depends. I think you will get what you want as far as fewer kids if you don't sail during school breaks. But you may also get older passengers. I'd choose the older passengers - everyone was very nice and fun.

This was our experience on our first Celebrity cruise (first week of February this year) onboard the Summit for 7 nights. I saw less than 10 kids onboard all week. We also avoid summer, spring break and any holidays to keep the number of kids onboard to a minimum and so far it's worked (even on our previous Carnival cruises). We were really pleased with the age and demographics onboard Celebrity (as compared to Carnival) and this is coming from a 30-something. I think you'll enjoy Celebrity if you're looking for a more "adult" oriented cruiseline.

We were on the Reflection from March 22-29 and were told that there were 400 kids on board. I understand this was due to being a spring break week. We were in Aqua Class on Deck 11 where there are few adjoining rooms and almost no rooms with pull out beds. Our hallway was wonderfully quiet. It was only a few adults on nearby verandas who were occasionally loud! LOL! We adored cruising with Celebrity and plan on booking another journey with them again. The pools were definitely crowded and full of children cannon-balling, throwing balls, etc on sea days. For that reason, we will try to book non-school holiday weeks for upcoming cruises. We enjoyed the people watching aspect of it all though!

Funny story: We were lounging in the adults-only Solarium one afternoon where a family with two kids around 6 and 10 showed up. The children jumped into the pool and the older one swam over to the Solarium rules sign and read that children were not allowed. He immediately raced over to his parents' loungers and told them they had to leave! The parents brushed him off at first but they eventually departed when the kid kept pointing to the sign and made some noise. Haha! Good kid! Sometimes the children aren't the ones causing problems... ;) To ease your mind, even though there were 400 kids on our cruise (which is a lot for Celebrity, I understand) we still had a blast and found many serene places to chill out, when desired. We ate at the buffet for a few breakfasts and were impressed with the behaviour of all of the children while dining.

I will post a review soon. I've just been busy at work and getting back to reality! Enjoy whichever cruise you choose! :)

That's a fact. Celebrity is a great adult friendly NO KID ZONE.

Just stay away from the school breaks like we do and you will more than likely see the most bored 7 or 8 kids on a boat you WILL EVER HAVE SEEN. :D

I disagree. My daughter is 8, and prefers Celebrity way over Disney or RCI. She is never bored, is a foodie, loves the hot glass show, and enjoys everything an X cruise has to offer. Every cruise and child is different, but the majority of kids on Celebrity I find to be well behaved and not bored. Even on a 12 night Med cruise! :)

Just curious--how does anyone know the number of children on board? Do they announce it or is it posted somewhere? I try to sail when school is in session, but I have hit vacation periods by mistake a number of times.

we are doing a family cruise on the Solstice. We usually take them on RCCL but decided to do Celebrity with them this year. They are 2 girls 15 & 10 and a boy 7. We leave Seattle June 27th. Any other kids??????????????