Dining room option, Table for 2

spacetraveler

We requested a table for 2 in the MDR. We will not know until we board the ship. If we don't like the sitting arrangement, can we change to Select Dining? Normally we are not allowed to wait at the select dining entrance. We must get approval first. Where and when can I find the Maitre'D

We requested a table for 2 in the MDR. We will not know until we board the ship. If we don't like the sitting arrangement, can we change to Select Dining? Normally we are not allowed to wait at the select dining entrance. We must get approval first. Where and when can I find the Maitre'D

If you wish to make changes to your Seating / Dining Arrangements you should see the Maitre D on E-Day

After you are able to get into your cabin that day... You will find inside with your paperwork a card that states what your Seating Arrangement / Table Number is for Traditional Dining. Take that card and head to the MDR... So you can locate your table.

If it is not to your liking speak to the Maitre D

Only they can change things for you...

Don't count on getting Select... There are only so many Select spaces... It often fills up quickly.

But the Maitre D will do their best to make you happy... Be that a different 2 top for Traditional Dining... Or if there is space transferring you to Select Dining

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

If a table for two is very important to you, I would choose Select. However, as Sloop-JohnB said, it does fill up. We have tried to get a table for two, when we were assigned to a table for 6 or 8 (before we started using Select) on embarkation day and found it impossible.

If you are flexible, 2-top more likely available for late seating. Also indicate being ok with 2 at a 4-seat if available which is better space-wise.

Sometimes it takes a day or 2 before things 'settle out' and they can accommodate you.

A few 2-tops are against entry wall corridor, under center stairway so not always good location.

Bring your res card with you. The 1st nite some 'opportunistic' pax grabbed our assigned 2-top and acted like 'squatter's rights' - since I didn't bring my seat assignment card with me, it took a few mins to get it sorted out. AWKWARD

Good Luck

I have late seating confirmed and too am hoping for a table of 2. Thanks for the info.

We are on a B2B in a few weeks does anyone know if they will let us keep same wait team for the second leg? Will they know you are on a B2B?

Edited by Georgie562

I have late seating confirmed and too am hoping for a table of 2. Thanks for the info.

We are on a B2B in a few weeks does anyone know if they will let us keep same wait team for the second leg? Will they know you are on a B2B?

I am not sure about the first part but I suggest you speak to the Matre' De.

As for will they know you, my answer would be yes, the staff are very good at remembering people even if it is not a B2B. We cruised on the Solstice 7 months after a previous cruise on the same ship (different cruise season) and staff were not only coming up and saying hello but also remembering our names, who we travelled with last time and most importantly our favourite drinks and food preferences.:D

I can confirm Select sells out. We are sailing on January 12th and chose select dining when we booked. It is already "sold out" as in not being offered anymore. So no one on our cruise will be able to make the switch.

Yes we had to pre pay our grats. but we always do anyway so that was no problem for us and a small price to pay to get the seating flexibility we wanted.

This will be our first time sailing with X and I am really looking forward to it. We asked friends to join us who have sailed with them before and are sailing the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean. Everything is lining up to be an excellent cruise!

Tables for two are at a premium, so if you don't like what you get see the Maitre d' right away - they station themselves right outside the dining room (which floor varies - you may need to scout around a bit). Chances are you cannot make a change immediately, but they will try.

Not sure what ship you are on, but on S class in particular, many two-tops are right next to each other, which can be somewhat awkward as you are at a private table, but sitting within arms (and voice) length of another couple(s). To talk or not to talk? Awkward IMHO. Some are alone, but as has been said, many of those are in less than ideal locations. I guess it really depends what matters to you.

We always get tables for two (always on the M class) and we really are not fussy about where we sit - we think of it as an adventure, seeing everything from a different perspective each time.

We've been smack in the middle of the dining room, along the rail at the top (which doesn't exist anymore because of Select and Blu), and believe it or not, we really enjoyed being along that long hallway under the stairs. It was quite private and felt like our own little world.

But do go to the dining room when you board, have fun searching for your table (sometimes the numbering system makes no sense and you have to search a bit) and keep an open mind.

We just tried Blu for the first time, and really didn't mind being next to others - it was fun talking to different people every night. But I think that's a big difference - talking to different people every night, as opposed to having the same couple next to you every night - might as well be at a big table in that case?

We are in the same predicament but a bit different. Because we had a promotion where gratuities are paid by the travel agency, we could not book "select". Keeping my fingers crossed we can access it upon boarding and, if not, then opt for a table for 2. Free gratuities are definately worth the extra steps even if we cannot be accommodated:)

In the MDR we have never had a problem getting a private table for 2 at late seating.

The problem was when we sailed in Aqua and got crammed in to BLU. We found it crowded (we could have used the salt and pepper shakers on the tables on either side) and loud. We could not have a quiet conversation since we had to almost yell to hear over the noise in the room. We ended up moving to the MDR and they were able to seat us at a table for 5 with another party of 3 and we had a lovely week with them.

But typically we treat our cruise dinners like 'dates' and prefer to eat just with each other.

Good luck.

we make our cruise reservation early and so at the time we make our reservation we ask our travel agent to request a table for two by a window for the late dining. So far so good. When our e-docs come through on the Cruise Summary sheet there is a place that says Dining Seating Note. If there is an Asterisk* there it means your request could not be accommodated. Our experience has always been if the Asterisk* is not there then your request has been accommodated. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise

We also like a table for two and never had a problem with regular early dining. The ships have ample tables for two. As soon as you board, make you first stop to the main dining room. You can speak to the Maitre'D and he/she will confirm that you are seated in a table for two and show you the table. Once, we were mistakenly assigned a table for four, but made the change without any problem.

We like the idea of having the same wait staff. Typically, after one day then know what you like and dislike, and for example, will have your beverage of choice waiting for you at the table. We have also had select dining, but since we are creatures of habit, prefer fixed seating.

Enjoy your cruise.

We also like a table for two and never had a problem with regular early dining. The ships have ample tables for two. As soon as you board, make you first stop to the main dining room. You can speak to the Maitre'D and he/she will confirm that you are seated in a table for two and show you the table. Once, we were mistakenly assigned a table for four, but made the change without any problem.

We like the idea of having the same wait staff. Typically, after one day then know what you like and dislike, and for example, will have your beverage of choice waiting for you at the table. We have also had select dining, but since we are creatures of habit, prefer fixed seating.

Enjoy your cruise.

Even with select you can ask the matre' de for the same area so that you get the same waiters, etc.:D

We always book Select dining but I agree I wish we could have the same staff all the time (as long as they're good!). You can make reservations and ask for the same section, no problem. The only issue with us is we enjoy going to the shows and different group gatherings which always changes our dining time and does not allow us to get the same wait staff all the time.

Friends of ours have found it fairly easy to move their tables around, etc. as long as they go right away on E day. Don't forget a big smile always helps too! :):D

Cheers & Happy Cruising!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When I booked there was no option to request a table for two, just early late or select. Is there any way to add this request to an existing reservation?

Does X have an email address for dining requests like RCI and NCL do?

Thanks

Also if requesting a change On embarkation day would some cash to the Matre'D help, or is t poor form?

Anyone?

Also if requesting a change On embarkation day would some cash to the Matre'D help, or is t poor form?

My vote is POOR FORM

Maybe as far as insulting... As it does at that point look like a bribe.

Leaves a really bad taste in my mouth... Certainly you must realize this is a social faux pas (misstep)

Happy with the Maitre D and your experience onboard in the Dining Room then fill out a Comment Card... Or for those who made it extra special, extra tip them at the end of the cruise for extraordinary service

Cheers!

Agree that slipping $ not nice at that dining room discussion

On our last constellation sailing we were in concierge (preferred seating selection), made our booking onboard 1 year in advance. We noted that we wanted a table for 2.

When we checked our table card at embarkation we couldn't find the number. A waiter said it was over near the windows (where there were tables for 2). Oh well, he was wrong.

The table was a giant one in the middle of the floor -- and other PAX standing around the table were also told they would have a table for 2. We were told no tables for 2 left, the Maitre d said there is one in the walkway waiters carry dishes. We persisted and they found us a table. The next day the Maitre d found us having lunch in the dining room and said he would have a nice table for us near the back window in select any time we wanted. I had asked about select that 1st night & he had said no.

Long story, sorry. But check out your location as early as you can and remedy is usually easy but sometimes you have to be persistent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

After seeing so much POOR FORM recently on the Equinox it was obvious that people had slipped the maitre d in Select Dining something. First time cruisers were given the same prime table every night and other cruisers including us were shipped around the dining room every night.

Pay the money because you will be competing for the space with others who obviously do if you don't.