HAL Hotels in San Diego

I don't know for sure but I expect that is the only one since there is not a huge volume of calls in San Diego.

I'm in the Sheraton in October between the Oosterdam and Amsterdam. I'm not thrilled with the location but will be happy enough with it since HAL comped it when moving me from an Amsterdam B2B.

San Diego has a good selection of hotels close to the cruise port. While some times I am happy to use HAL's hotel I think San Diego is a very easy city to handle on your own with many good options close to both the airport and the cruise port.

Roy

HAL does use the Sheraton Marina.

We prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites. There are various buses across the street that go to the zoo, etc.

It is within walking distance of Seaport Village -- lots of shops and restaurants. Also within walking distance of the Midway and a restaurant called the Fish Market. And within walking distance of Horton Plaza (lots of shops) and Ralph's for anything you may have forgotten -- even sells wine.

We prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites. There are various buses across the street that go to the zoo, etc.

It is within walking distance of Seaport Village -- lots of shops and restaurants. Also within walking distance of the Midway and a restaurant called the Fish Market. And within walking distance of Horton Plaza (lots of shops) and Ralph's for anything you may have forgotten -- even sells wine.

I assume you mean the Embassy Suites are so convenient and not the Sheraton Krazy Kruiser. Having so much within walking distance is tempting as we won't be getting a car.

And rafinmd, we're at the stage of travelling where for the first time this winter opted for the ship transfers and hotel.

Thanks,

Ruth

Ruth, we are at that stage where we usually use HAL's hotel and transfer. As others have mentioned there are hotel choices close to the port. On vacation we have stayed at Porto Vista, just a block from the restaurants in Little Italy and relatively short distance from port area and the Midway. They have free airport shuttle and shuttle to the ship for a small charge. You are a long way from the zoo, they can provide you with various transportation options.

We always stay at the San Diego Hilton Airport/Harbor Island. Rooms facing the Harbor have beautiful views, balconies, there is a nice casual restaurant, nice bar and the employees are great. Their bus will pick you up at the airport and take you to the cruise ship. They don't, however, pick you up after the cruise, if you're planning on staying after the cruise. There are plenty of cabs at the terminal following a cruise, and the airport is just a few miles away. We live south of Tucson, and drive to San Diego when we're cruising from there. The hotel charges $10 per night to leave your car in the hotel parking lot. Very convenient.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Missmishka, we plan to go a couple of days early, both because of possible weather delays and the hope of seeing a bit of the city.

Thanks though for your suggestion.

And jhsocal, we'll investigate the Porto Vista. We've seen enough zoos in our time even though I understand the San Diego one is special. Now if grands were with us that would be a must see.

And like the Embassy Suites suggested both seem to be well located for restaurants and such.

Ruth

• 1 year later...

I stupidly posted this in a Seattle thread about a fall cruise.

It's our recent San Diego experience.

Well the experts were correct.  Against expert advice we stayed in HAL's choice of Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Harbor Island Drive for the sheer and expensive convenience of HAL pick up at airport.

Once we'd paid and actually read the fine print, what they provided was the already included hotel airport shuttle.

After three flight cancelations before we left home under clear blue skies, we didn't arrive in San Diego until almost 12:00PM instead of the early afternoon time we'd planned.  The hotel stops pick ups at 11:30.  When we lined up for a cab, the poor driver was upset that the hotel was so close.  Promise of a generous tip ensured he took us the few blocks.

But the location met our needs.  After almost 23 hours travel time, door to door, we simply enjoyed the Old Town Trolley Tour to a part of the city we'd not visited and opted to eat in the hotel which again met our needs.

The chorus of 'told you so' or 'there are better options' may ring loud and clear from the generous posters.

Ruth

I posted on the other thread - but there are a lot of hotels in the downtown area that are close to the airport and to the cruise terminal - lots to offer - so you might want to do your own research and see what appeals to you.  We just had last year the Intercontinental open up - you can walk to the cruise terminal and it is a mile or so from the airport - easy Uber Lyft ride which is the popular option in San Diego versus a taxi.  If you have a smart phone download the App and you'll be all set.

The Porto Vista - I like the views from the top deck - but read the reviews - might not be for everyone.  I actually think the Sherton on Harbor Island is a nice hotel (there are 2 towers) and have nice views.  There are a couple of nice restaurants within easy walking distance and it is a quick ride to downtown and to Balboa Park which houses the World Famous Zoo!  Our downtown area is compact and walkable. You really can't go wrong with any of the hotels - just depends on your budget and what you want/expect.

Enjoy our fine city pre-cruise!

The Sheraton Marina has it's own shuttle from 5 am until midnight.  The fact that you flight was canceled and you arrived too late for it is not a Holland America problem......nor a Sheraton issue.

As a Holland America airport staff greeter, do you really expect me to stay until midnight for your convenience?

We are there from 8 am until 9 pm if you've booked, regardless of when you arrive.  Today I met guests for Saturday's cruise.

There are numerous advantages to booking through HAL, among them is knowing where you are at all times.....and when your delayed flight will arrive.  Staff will be at the Sheraton from 6 -9 pm the night before....and 9am until noon on your sailing day.  That assistance is what you get when you book your "sheer and expensive convenience".

David

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

There are numerous advantages to booking through HAL, among them is knowing where you are at all times.....and when your delayed flight will arrive.  Staff will be at the Sheraton from 6 -9 pm the night before....and 9am until noon on your sailing day.  That assistance is what you get when you book your "sheer and expensive convenience".

David

First I agree that delayed flights are beyond HAL's control though we were in communication with their 'emergency number' to alert them.  

Since we started booking hotels and airport pick up thru' HAL and other cruise lines, we've consistently been met at the airport by a cruise line representative in spite of delays due to northern winter weather.  Obviously our expectations were NOT met this time, but in reading the fine print on this particular contract those expectations were unrealistic given the service had been subcontracted to the hotel.  Therefore in the future we will choose our hotel based upon price when compared with HAL's charges and plan on arranging our own land transportation.  We've always paid more for the hotel than what's offered on line, for peace of mind and ease of travel.

We were please with the hotel accommodation.

Ruth

On 3/5/2019 at 4:46 PM, Been There, Planning That said:

...Well the experts were correct.  Against expert advice we stayed in HAL's choice of Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Harbor Island Drive for the sheer and expensive convenience of HAL pick up at airport.

Once we'd paid and actually read the fine print, what they provided was the already included hotel airport shuttle.

After three flight cancelations before we left home under clear blue skies, we didn't arrive in San Diego until almost 12:00PM instead of the early afternoon time we'd planned.  The hotel stops pick ups at 11:30.  When we lined up for a cab, the poor driver was upset that the hotel was so close.  Promise of a generous tip ensured he took us the few blocks.

Ruth

Any downtown hotel in San Diego is a short hop, skip and jump from the airport and to the cruise terminal.  No need to worry about which hotel is more convenient.

It is much better to use Lyft or Uber for short rides as these modern drivers do not have to return to a long queue for their next ride.  No need for a large compensatory tip for a taxi driver's inefficient and outdated business arrangement.

igraf