Mediterranean Sea

BostonSweeney

I usually do three night pre cruise and one night after cruise plus a cruise of 11-15 days. i bring about $500. in Euros. I get from my bank before hand. I get some smaller bills in the mix. I then use a ATM machine at one of the ports. I always use a ATM outside a bank.

Many of the private tour operators want Euros in cash at end of tour.

I pay my hotel and any purchases(shoes, clothing etc) with my credit card,

I bring Euros home including coins. it is my way to seed my next Eurpoean trip.:D

Edited by Azulann

Keep in mind that you might need several currencies for your trip. It depends in the countries you will be visiting. It also depends on if you are doing all ship excursions, DIY, or a combo. More info is needed to answer.

Impossible to answer since it depends on so many personal factors. For example, if you primarily take cruise line excursions and do little on your own you would not need a lot of cash. But if you are like me, and do nearly everything independently....you might need hundreds or even thousands of Euros. That being said, we go to Europe for multi-month trips and take very few Euros (just whatever we have laying around the house). Once in Europe we get all of our Euros from ATMs....plus we make liberal use of both MC and Visa.

Hank

You are welcome.

Now where are you going on a cruise in the Med.?

I have cruised the Med four times. I love those ports and countries. Always something new to see each time.

BTW, if you have listed the cruise in your signature,I have turned signature lines off for all posts. Reading the posts are easier to read without the clutter.

Remember you must pay for your private tours in cash day of normally - so you might want to add up the cost of your private tour reservations AND usually we use cash for paying for transportation to/from the airport at each end of the cruise. We also use cash for drinks and snacks while touring. You can also use ATM machines in a pinch - just make sure you have a chip card that can be used in Europe.

Hmm, I did say it's all relative.

Thank you, Azulann! $500 was actually the exact amount I was considering & depending on the potential Bank of America charges I might be faced with, ATM usage might be in the mix.

Why not use a bank that refunds the ATM fees of other banks -foreign or domestic? Try Mechanics Bank in the SF Bay Area. They also will sell you euros at a very attractive rate. We take about 50 euros ashore with the plan of hitting the ATM if needed.

Also, use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees for purchases abroad (but never to get ATM cash when an ATM card is most appropriate).

United Explorer Visa works great for credit purchases abroad.

I did not specifically mention where my cruise is going, so no worries, you did not miss anything. There are way too many freaks out & about these days, in addition to me unintentionally making a snarky comment & upsetting someone, therefore, I tried to simply stick to the point, sorry.

It depends on how long the trip, are you a shopper, are you paying for private tours you have booked, do you plan to eat when in port, are you staying at a hotel before/after with land travel, etc etc etc.

Or last trip we took 4000 euros and what we had left we applied to our last hotel bill.

How many notes/Euros should be taken on a trip to Europe? Sure, it's all relative, but would love some advice on the matter.

Thank you in advance!

We never leave home with more than about 20 Euro. Much less expensive to get them from an ATM machine attached to a bank when you get there.