My adult child solo trip to Rome tips?

libertybelle41

I'm both excited and terrified that in a few shorts weeks my son will take a solo trip to Rome (non cruise. he'll be flying in). He's been researching for months now and is as prepared as he "thinks" he can be. His father and I are huge cruisers and have looked to cruise critic for years for cruising advice and opinions (given a few myself...lol) Please give any tips or advise that you feel is important or might come in handy.

Would you mind telling us how old he is and what his passions/likes/hates... we can respond better if we can drill down instead of just throwing out suggestions.

A few common sense things to him - be aware of his surroundings. Watch and follow the behavior he sees among locals his age. Being too friendly or outgoing, as many Americans can be, can get someone in trouble. Don't stand outside while looking at a map or tourist book. If his cell plan doesn't have international roaming (like T-Mobile) at a reasonable price, he may want to look into buying a short-term SIM card over there IF HIS PHONE IS UNLOCKED. I've bought from TIM in the past and was very happy with the service. If his phone is locked and the provider won't provide the key to unlock, make sure his service has a reasonable international plan. Depending on how old he is, look up where the local Universities are - he would be sure to be able to dine and drink with people his age...

Just some very general things.

Pick picketing is much bigger in Europe than in the US. The best advice is for him to just be aware of his surroundings. By solo is he just going without you or 100% alone? I usually have at least one traveling companion so the rule we use is whenever 1 person is looking at the map, the other person pays attention to what's going on. We had that come in handy in Amsterdam recently. We were walking out of a train station in the early morning hours. As I was studying the map my companion picked up on the fact that someone was following us. We simply diverted back into the train station and walked past security and lost him.

It's very common for someone to thrust something at you in Rome - flowers, bracelets, etc, often by kids, while their comrades try to take something out of your bag or pocket. Especially if you appear distracted by a map.

I carry all of my things in a cross body bag, zipped up, with the bag part in front of my body so it would be difficult to tamper with.

As long as he is aware of this he will have a great time. Overall I consider Europe much safer than the US. Gun crime and violent crime rates are much lower.

He needs a good guide book with maps. Roads are much less grid-like there so they can be tricky to follow. Buy tickets ahead of time for the coliseum and skip the line. And tell him to make sure he takes time to experience the culture - eat, drink, etc; as opposed to simply rushing from one sight to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've spent a lot of time solo in Rome -- it's my favorite destination. Like slidergirl, I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for in particular...?

Some things off the top of my head:

1) Don't overschedule every moment. Allow time to just savor being in Rome or to have a coffee or a drink in an interesting piazza or to walk out of your way a couple extra blocks to look at that interesting building.

2) Look for restaurants that DON'T cater to tourists -- that could mean going a few blocks away from the "main drag" areas. It is getting harder to find decent food in Rome these days unless one does this. Research one or two really good places and make reservations before going (or through your hotel), but otherwise just wander until you find some place that appeals.

3) Leave your passport, extra cash and extra credit cards in your hotel safe (or if staying in an apt leave them locked in your luggage...) Pickpockets are active in Rome and you don't want to waste half a day dealing with the aftermath of having wallet (or worse, passport) stolen.

4) Rome is best seen on foot, but don't be afraid of the occasional bus or taxi -- they aren't expensive and can get you from one neighborhood to another when your feet are weary.

5) Italians can be very friendly to solo diners in my experience. Don't feel awkward about dining alone, and if you look friendly (and don't spend the whole meal gazing at your phone), you might become part of an interesting conversation.

Tell him not to put stupid posts on social media. My nephew is currently backpacking in Europe and his parents are very upset with him for that. Whether they should or not, potential employers may check Facebook etc before they make a decision. Everyone in the family does not need to know when the traveller is out all night drinking. They do not want to see photos of the traveller nearly nude. etc

ie Use common sense. It goes a long way.

Even if everyone which is in tourism might speak english, maybe it would be nice to learn some words in Italian.

Like how to ask for direction, toilets and so on...or maybe the numbers from Zero to thirty (always good when one has to pay something small, where there is no price tag or bill) and of course thank you (Grazie), Hello (Buon Giorno) and good bye (Arriverderci).

Local people might be much friendlier to someone who at least tries and are then sometimes more than happy to switch to english...

Depending how old he is, how out-going and if you already booked a accomodation, it might also be an Idea to book into a YHA (Youth Hostel) or a backbacker hostel, where he meets other international travellers and might do some activities together with others instead of alone.

Last advice:

Don't worry too much. If I were you I would probably much more worried if your son would travel to Los Angeles, Chicago or New York than Rome...

Tell him to be wary of overly friendly teens/twenties of both sexes, who approach him and offer him a gift, like a bracelet or pin and tell him that it will bring them luck if he keeps it. They then try the "we have just had a child and this is our way to bring him luck". Then they look for money and can be very insistent, aggressive and noisy.

Advise him to firmly say "No, thanks!" and walk away.

I actually suggest to people that they should google scams in Rome, or Bangkok or wherever they may be heading. My husband, even though well travelled and also of Italian background, fell for a minor scam in Rome. It is not the norm there for people to speak to strangers in the way that is common in Australia and some other countries. They may or may not be setting you up.

I went solo to Rome when I was 21, and I'm a woman. I planned it all myself, before the internet even! The hardest thing to deal with were pushy Italian men, so he'll probably avoid that. ;)

Does he like cities? I love cities, but it's definitely a bustling one. I stayed near the Spanish steps and was able to walk to most everything. It was close enough to the train when I wanted to visit Ostia Antica or go on an overnight to Venice.

I'd recommend he download Duolingo or another app and start on his italian. That goes a huge way. Don't wear shorts, don't hang things around your neck. Don't wear a fanny pack. Get a phone case that's a wallet and carry it in a front pocket, with just the things you need that day.

He got it! That was one of the first things someone suggested to him. Thanks!

I would also suggest he logs in to Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum, which is for independent travellers. He will find lots of information about European travel from people who live there or who visit frequently as solo travellers. Many there will probably consider 28 to be not a young adult!!:D

I started traveling to Europe alone in my late twenties and my most recent visit in Italy lasted over six weeks, again - solo. I suppose I ought to preface what I write by mentioning I'm from NYC so for what it's worth, I'm accustomed to big city life, even before NYC was "Disney-fied" and quit gritty! That said, common sense will go far for anyone that also takes the time to plan ahead; it's also part of the fun of the trip.

On thing I NEVER have done is be out in ANY city abroad without my passport!! I get that people are worried about having their documents stolen but everyone posts here worrying it will happen - can't think of when we've had a post by anyone on these boards (actually I started on our sister site IndependentTraveler.com 20 years ago & folks never posted about it happening) whose passport was stolen. Does it happen? Sure, but in what circumstances? Opportunity often makes this easy. I have not one but two passports, I'm a dual citizen. I'm not ever leaving them in a hotel safe - I have heard of them being picked by hotel staff. They stay with me. The best thing to do is keep copies, paper and digital (photos on phone and/or tablet) of the passport so that IF anything happened, it's much easier to obtain replacement at the consulate when in possession of a copy of the original. Also, if you are asked to produce ID by any official while out & about you MUST have it on you. Unlike Europeans and other Nationals who are issued ID cards, we are not and our drivers licenses ARE NOT VALID ID overseas. Only a passport is valid ID. Thus having it on your person at all times while abroad is, for me, the only option. Why waste a day with some official going to fetch the document or worse, be dragged into some office for not having. No thanks.

Next, keep daypack zipped, clipped etc at all times & don't keep cash, ATM/credit cards in any place easy to access. Front pocket is ideal. Yes, I've kept my stuff zipped & stowed inside my daypack which does not ever leave my side or my shoulder & is further zipped & clipped inside a wallet in the daypack. Impossible for a quick hit. Probably the only time I put it down was on top of a crag in a remote park in the Chinese countryside, there were probably 3 of us up there and I knew who they were because we were in the same group.

I walked around Rome the entire time feeling completely safe, day/night. Even a "ciao Bella!" didn't bother me, why would it? Everything was well it at night (Castel Sant Angelo is stunning!) and the city is easy to walk.

Agree with the recommendation to try and eat where locals eat, off the main streets - just stop and listen to hear if mostly Italian is being spoken and there are few cameras/guidebooks in site! Prices might actually be better too. Try Trastevere for a really excellent experience with food and just an altogether great part of Rome that not everyone always gets to. Great history there.

For guidebooks I used DK Eyewitness Italy & Lonely Planet Rome but, the Eyewitness guide while spectacular is a bit heavy to carry along with on the trip though it's great for advance planning - maybe the online version? I love their books! Also like Rough Guides, Frommers and even travel memoirs or literary travel books - they bring you there in a different way that helps make the experience more multilayered. Most of these guides offer some basic Italian phrases to help with basic communication because yes, it is nice to use some pleasantries with locals in their own language! Caveat re: the Rick Steves Rome Guide - not sure if it still holds but at dinner one evening I met a couple VERY displeased with their Hotel & were changing the next morning. (I have never, will never buy a Rick Steves guide) Also indeed the Duolingo App is good but keep Google Translate handy on the phone too. However some people have a knack for language and some just don't so if he's not the type that fancies much fluency, don't worry, the Italians are lovely and in Rome it will be ok.

Really I think all he needs to do is decide what he most wants to see, maybe arrange some advance tickets to skip the line (Coliseum?) or just play it loose & free and have fun. Oh and if he stays in a hostel, in Italy some of them have curfews. In my family we found this out in an odd way when one of my sisters decide to go off on her own bold travels but never knew there WAS a curfew and so she was locked out for the night in Venice! :eek: And....everything was fine!

The final thing about staying safe ANYWHERE: why would anyone talk to someone suddenly walking up to them out of nowhere in a crowded area for some ridiculous reason? The answer is always, ignore that person. Obviously if someone requires actual, genuine assistance it would be unmistakable and they wouldn't even have to ask, it would be Automatic. Or they go find someone official. There's never a cause for an stranger to ask you for anything in a foreign city. Just keep moving.

Otherwise, use common sense in all choices and decisions but have fun. Once there is a system in place for safety and security (a routine) you'll quickly begin to feel at home in your temporary city.

Make sure he checks that his bank does not charge foreign ATM withdrawal fees or foreign transaction/currency conversion fees. Alert the bank before departure that he will be traveling so they'll know it's him using the card overseas. Sometimes it's good to arrive with Euro on hand but depending upon arrival plans, he might not need it?

I'll probably think of more things tomorrow, but if you have more questions fire away! And don't worry, he's going to do great!

Basically it's an American idiom that expresses the feeling someone is making a bigger deal out of something than is necessary.

I have to say I'm a little surprised how much negativity has been expressed about the OP's terminology (some of which was deleted), which is in no way a key point in her request.

If someone wrote the same request expressing concern for, shall we say, elderly parents going to Europe on their own for the first time, I doubt anyone would be reprimanding the OP for looking to provide some help or tips....

In response to your earlier post, I just looked up definitions of the term "young adult" and repeatedly saw the category defined as 18-35 years of age: http://www.usacanadaregion.org/sites/usacanadaregion.org/files/PDF/young%20adult-2.pdf

Thank you for your post. Yes, I was just looking for helpful advice and opinions.

Yes, most of us have concerns, rightly or wrongly, for those that they love. My daughters worry when we are overseas. Which is quite funny as we backpacked for six months through Europe and Nth America when we were young, have travelled extensively ever since and are still perfectly healthy. Nor have we lost passports, phones cameras and credit cards as they have while travelling.