Riverside Hotel - Las Olas Blvd

JamesEM

For our cruise this November instead on booking a hotel on 17th St. I am considering the Riverside Hotel for our pre cruise stay, any input on this hotel and the Las Olas area would be appreciated.

Its a very nice hotel in a wonderful location with lots to do - and will definitely give you a better feel for Fort Lauderdale than the 17th Street hotels. Check out the following websites:

Edited by capriccio

Las Olas Boulevard is a much, much nicer area than 17th Street with FAR superior dining.

I love the Riverside Hotel and Ryan in the lobby bar is one of my favorite bartenders in Fort Lauderdale.

Lots of dining, shopping, and attractions on Las Olas plus the boulevard is so gorgeous at night. The live oak trees in the median and the palm trees that line the street are lit up at night.

Lots of alfresco dining.

Because rents are so astronomical on Las Olas (they start at about $100psf), the restaurants have to be excellent to survive.

The Riverside is an on demand water taxi stop.

We ADORE the Riverside Hotel. It is our choice hotel. We typically use Hotwire to book, but, for our cruise in Oct. we booked directly because the price was comparable. By calling the hotel directly and asking for their best rate it saved me about $10. If the Hotwire price comes down closer to cruise, we can cancel refundable reservation. I don't see it happening as we are staying Oct. 22 and the Arts Festival is during this time. I only discovered this a few days ago, so I feel lucky to have a room. I am also thrilled to be there during the Arts Festival.

Marie

If we don't stay on the beach, we find Las Olas Blvd. a 100% improvement over 17th St. The street is so pretty and relaxing. As opposed to 17th St. which screams, "any busy street in the U.S."

Try it and you'll feel the difference too.;)

If we don't stay on the beach, we find Las Olas Blvd. a 100% improvement over 17th St. The street is so pretty and relaxing. As opposed to 17th St. which screams, "any busy street in the U.S."

Try it and you'll feel the difference too.;)

Hahaha!

Las Olas Boulevard is a much, much nicer area than 17th Street with FAR superior dining.

Hi BlueHerons,

Are you familiar with the Hampton on N. Andrews Ave in the Las Olas area? Just wondering if it is a nice area as well. Got it for $207 in March 2017. Is it near the Riverside?

Hi BlueHerons,

Are you familiar with the Hampton on N. Andrews Ave in the Las Olas area? Just wondering if it is a nice area as well. Got it for $207 in March 2017. Is it near the Riverside?

Hampton Inn is walking distance from Riverside Hotel, but no, it isn't a nice area. It's not considered to be in the Las Olas area. It's in a different section of downtown adjacent to Las Olas area that only recently started developing into a nicer area; the area just west of it is what most would consider really bad (homeless, crime, drugs). I would not walk around there outside of M-F 9-5. Uber to Cheesecake Factory and walk around from there or maybe the hotel shuttle can drop you off.

Edited by royalcruz

Hampton Inn is walking distance from Riverside Hotel, but no, it isn't a nice area. It's not considered to be in the Las Olas area. It's in a different section of downtown adjacent to Las Olas area that only recently started developing into a nicer area; the area just west of it is what most would consider really bad (homeless, crime, drugs). I would not walk around there outside of M-F 9-5. Uber to Cheesecake Factory and walk around from there or maybe the hotel shuttle can drop you off.

This.

I would walk there during the day but at night it is a bad area.

It's definitely transitioning but still has problems.

It is a short cab or Uber ride to Las Olas.

OMG!! Thank you so much royalcruz! I think I'll cancel & start a new search!

This.

I would walk there during the day but at night it is a bad area.

It's definitely transitioning but still has problems.

It is a short cab or Uber ride to Las Olas.

Thank you so much for your response! I think we'll pass on this one!

Just booked the Riverside for $218/nt!! Cancelled the Hampton. Thank you again royalcruz & BlueHerons!

That's what I call an awesome $11 upgrade!!!

Really the Hampton Inn itself is fine, and they give you breakfast, and I think free parking....but if for a few bucks more you can be in the heart of a really nice walking neighborhood, it's a no brainer.

Just booked the Riverside for $218/nt!! Cancelled the Hampton. Thank you again royalcruz & BlueHerons!

That's awesome! Congrats!! The location is so fantastic and the hotel is so great, it will spoil you for anywhere else.

I would not hesitate to stay at that Hampton, it is a nice hotel, the area is sketchy.

With all the development around it, I'm not sure it is going to stay that way for too many more years.

Edited by BlueHerons

Could anyone tell me about the area around Doubletree Galleria One? Is it safe? Supposed to be staying there next month.

I stayed there last year. The rooms are huge! It is next to the mall. We took the water taxi right from their dock... loved it. Not staying there this time because I like the area where the Riverside is.... and wanted to try something different. It is a lengthy ride from the airport. And there was a bike race going on so the trip back to the ship was long too.

Edited by quiltsnh

Could anyone tell me about the area around Doubletree Galleria One? Is it safe? Supposed to be staying there next month.

It's very nice and very low crime. It's a commercial section of a residential neighborhood. There are several restaurants both fine dining and casual. Truluck, Blue Martini, and PF Changs have awesome happy hours with food specials (I eat dinner between these at least once a week). Within a couple of blocks are the beach, a park, a mall, grocery store, and CVS.

What other Las Olas hotels are recommended for a pre-cruise 1 or 2 night stay other than Riverside. Group size will be 10 - 20 and looking for double rooms. More important to be close to restaurants, etc than a hotel that includes breakfast for us.

Right now, considering 17th street area and have stayed their before. However, as many will be first time cruisers would like a little different experience.

Thank you!

What other Las Olas hotels are recommended for a pre-cruise 1 or 2 night stay other than Riverside. Group size will be 10 - 20 and looking for double rooms. More important to be close to restaurants, etc than a hotel that includes breakfast for us.

Right now, considering 17th street area and have stayed their before. However, as many will be first time cruisers would like a little different experience.

Thank you!

The Riverside is the only hotel on Las Olas. There is a Hampton Inn on Federal Highway north of Las Olas in a changing (for the better) neighborhood. It is fine during the day but you would probably want to take a taxi/uber after dark.