Seat Assignments on Miles now US/AA Merged

Brighton Line

Okay before AA/US flight ops merge I would use my AA miles on US flight booking online and call AA for the US record locator and go to my US FF account and make seat assignments.

Now that they have merged and got the wonderful email of my "new" AAdavantage account that was created from my old US (whatever they called it I never got miles on US, took the AA miles when flying them) account. I guess didn't want to spend the money to program a search to see if US FF had AA FF accounts....

So anyway, when I called AA FF they couldn't get me a seat assignment and online under my AA account I can't make seat selections for the US flight (still listed as US flight number) for the first leg. Was able to make sure I'm in the isle on AA metal on the 2nd leg.

So should I try calling AA again (btw, I have no status on any airline) or should I try setting up the "new" AA FF account they created for me from my US FF information?

I only used the US FF account to make seat selections was traveling on reward.

What do you guys think?

(Trying here first before ending my lurking status on Flyertalk).

TIA

Okay before AA/US flight ops merge I would use my AA miles on US flight booking online and call AA for the US record locator and go to my US FF account and make seat assignments.

Now that they have merged and got the wonderful email of my "new" AAdavantage account that was created from my old US (whatever they called it I never got miles on US, took the AA miles when flying them) account. I guess didn't want to spend the money to program a search to see if US FF had AA FF accounts....

So anyway, when I called AA FF they couldn't get me a seat assignment and online under my AA account I can't make seat selections for the US flight (still listed as US flight number) for the first leg. Was able to make sure I'm in the isle on AA metal on the 2nd leg.

So should I try calling AA again (btw, I have no status on any airline) or should I try setting up the "new" AA FF account they created for me from my US FF information?

What do you guys think?

(Trying here first before ending my lurking status on Flyertalk).

TIA

Call the group that handles the FF miles for the company. The general call center can't always do this especially that the merge of the programs is only a couple of week old.

I'm really not clear as to what you are asking or what you want to do. You seem to be all over the map on your post. If you had a AAdvantage account then they should have just rolled your USAir ff account into it. Why would you have to spend money to search for anything?

I am an AA ff... I would not book an AA flight on line or otherwise without getting seat assignments but I always book in advance, not at last minute.

I can tell you the days of FF miles paying off is really gone. We use to decide what flight we wanted, well in advance, call AA request the flight and seats and that was it. Now days you have to wait til AA allows ff miles to be used on a flight before you can book. It is very difficult to use FF miles in connection with cruises when you have set dates of travel.

Good luck is all I can tell you.

This is the bit that I really don't understand. I've never yet come across an airline where you need to use an FF account to get seat allocations. An FF account may be a useful or speedy way to get access to your reservation, and it may be a way of making sure that the booking has the correct FF status information if that makes a difference to the seat allocation that you're entitled to.

But seat allocations are a reservations function, not a FF function. The normal way is to go to the operating airline's website and retrieve your booking one way or another, not necessarily through the FF account. Then do whatever you need to do. Only if you're getting some unexpected result that doesn't appear to match your FF status do you need to do more investigating.

So I'm as confused about your post as everyone else.

Sorry for the confusion, thank you for attempting to help.

So far I can't get a seat assginment on the US flight though have access to it under the AA account. Last time I called they couldn't do it.

Will try calling again bu had a moment to try to post question here.

So far I can't get a seat assginment on the US flight though have access to it under the AA account. Last time I called they couldn't do it.
Who are "they"?

And why don't you try getting access to the reservation through the US website without doing it through a FF account?

I was able to log in to my AA account for my flights (the first two flights are with AA) my flight from CLT to FCO is with USairways. I selected seat selection and it took me the US Airways site and I was able to select my seats for that flight.