Excursions on Easter Weekend

Poppysfotos

We will be on the Rivera Mediterranean cruise 4/9-19 with stops in Malta on Good Friday, Zakynothos on Saturday and Santorini on Easter Sunday. We have ship sponsored tours on those days. Understanding that people will be on holiday and many things will be closed, such as museums, stores, restaurants, etc., I wonder if the excursions will still occur as described?

We will be on the Rivera Mediterranean cruise 4/9-19 with stops in Malta on Good Friday, Zakynothos on Saturday and Santorini on Easter Sunday. We have ship sponsored tours on those days. Understanding that people will be on holiday and many things will be closed, such as museums, stores, restaurants, etc., I wonder if the excursions will still occur as described?

No, they will not.

Greece closes down for Easter, and takes Good Friday very seriously.

I hope that cruise was discounted.

No, they will not.

Greece closes down for Easter, and takes Good Friday very seriously.

I hope that cruise was discounted.

Serious question - Greek Orthodox Easter is actually April 16. Would that not be the holiday in Greece?

EDIT: I just googled National Holidays in Greece 2017, and it shows April 14 (Good Friday) and April 17 (Easter Monday) as holidays. The OP should be fine.

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you already booked those excursions? If you have then perhaps call Oceania and ask them being as the sites listed in your particular excursion will be closed due to Easter will they be cancelling the excursion or will they share with you the alternate tour details.

I realize it can be a disappointment to visit a port and have many of the sites that you want to visit closed. Many ports can have the majority of museums etc. closed on a certain day of the week such as Mondays. A significant holiday such as Easter however would close many many more things.

However, this could be an opportunity for a unique visit. I was very apprehensive for our visit to Egypt and Istanbul a couple of years ago as we were scheduled to be there during Ramadan. I know some of people cancelled their cruise because of uncertainty of stopping in Egypt and upset that we would be in Turkey during Ramadan (and Israel when they would be limited access to the Wailing Wall; etc.) It ended up that we had a wonderful trip and a very exciting time in Istanbul. He stayed a few days after the cruise and I'm so glad we got to experience Istanbul during Ramadan.

So you may be able to find some other things to do. While the events are going to be of a religious nature which may not appeal to you but they would be a unique cultural experience. For instance I ran a quick search on Malta

https://www.mydestinationmalta.com/contactus

"There is nothing that compares to the experience of attending a Good Friday procession in Malta"

http://www.maltauncovered.com/culture/good-friday-processions-malta/

"Malta is known for being a religious country, with churches practically around every corner and feasts all year round. But the reason for this reputation is most evident during Holy Week, with activities and exhibitions all over the Maltese islands."

EDIT: I just googled National Holidays in Greece 2017, and it shows April 14 (Good Friday) and April 17 (Easter Monday) as holidays. The OP should be fine.
LOL, There is no such thing as Easter Monday

This situation is similar to Christmas falling on a weekend. The day off is the Monday following but nobody works on the 25th if they can help it.

Besides which, the OP's cruise sails from the 9th to the 19th; how do you figure that he will be fine if the holidays fell on the 14th and 17th?

Donna

???

Would they not celebrate Easter there?

The OP is sailing April 9th to 19th so would be there during the Easter holiday

In Malta Good Friday is a National Holiday

In Greece the whole weekend is a Public holiday

Never mind. I tried to offer some help,- the dates the OP mentioned for stops with excursions were, I wrongly concluded, the Western dates for Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

Remind me never to make a wrong assertion on this board again, I am tired of being kicked verbally.

Never mind. I tried to offer some help,- the dates the OP mentioned for stops with excursions were, I wrongly concluded, the Western dates for Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

Remind me never to make a wrong assertion on this board again, I am tired of being kicked verbally.

Not coming to anyone's defense but wouldn't want you to stop posting on this board over this. I think it was only meant to correct the statement, nothing personal. Tone of voice cannot be included and posts can certainly be interpreted many different ways. Some comments clearly are hard and harsh but others I think are just perhaps intended other than as read. That said, a correction should be given, or an opposing opinion should be offered.

For example, I'm now going to comment on JimandStan's post and I hope they don't take it personally or I am sure they will respond with an appropriate picture illustrating my folly.

This situation is similar to Christmas falling on a weekend. The day off is the Monday following but nobody works on the 25th if they can help it.

I thought much the same thing but not in all of the world.

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

"Easter Monday is the day after Easter Sunday and is a holiday in some countries. Easter Monday in the Western Christian liturgical calendar is the second day of Eastertide and analogously in the Byzantine Rite is the second day of Bright Week"

"Eastern Orthodox Church and Byzantine Rite Catholic Churches, this day is called "Bright Monday" or "Renewal Monday"".

" Events include egg rolling competitions...dousing other people with water ..."

That sounds like activities O's Country Fair on a transatlantic crossing :)

Not sure what the issue is

The OP posted they will be cruising over Easter weekend in Malta & Greece

It could be a problem for them if things are closed on those dates in those Countries

They may not be FINE as you suggested

Wow. I guess I read the meanness too. Oh well OP I'm on the same cruise with you and really really can't wait! To be in such beautiful countries during annual celebrations sounds fun. Who cares if the museum is closed?? Live life spontaneously and join in the festivities.

Not sure what the issue is

The OP posted they will be cruising over Easter weekend in Malta & Greece

It could be a problem for them if things are closed on those dates in those Countries

They may not be FINE as you suggested

Lyn, all I was thinking was that they might be looking at the wrong dates for Holy Week and Easter. Because Orthodox Easter is a week later than Easter in Western denominations.

I WAS WRONG, APPARENTLY.

I did indeed Google "National Holidays in Greece 2017." Easter Monday was listed as a National Holiday. I am not sure why that rated an "LOL" and a comment that Easter Monday doesn't exist, somehow, but then I shouldn't have been surprised.

I was actually thinking I was helping when I clearly did not.

Donna

Given Greece's continuing financial woes, it is reasonable to assume that tourism dependent regions and their commercial businesses will think twice before throwing away projected cruise ship "port day" income.

We're on that same cruise segment and every well-respected tour provider we researched/spoke with regarding Easter weekend indicated that they would be operational though accommodating for planned religious events. And since many of those same companies are contracted with O, fully cognizant of Easter, they'd be crazy to risk their future working relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Besides which, the OP's cruise sails from the 9th to the 19th; how do you figure that he will be fine if the holidays fell on the 14th and 17th?

Uh, yes, there is such a thing as Easter Monday and it has nothing to do with a holiday falling during a weekend. I'm first generation Hungarian American and Easter Monday is a big event for us---it's the same for other Eastern European countries. Probably best to check before making a blanket statement.

Here's a list of countries where Easter Monday is an official Holiday. Each seems to have their own method of celebration.

• Andorra
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Aruba
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Benin
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Botswana
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Bulgaria (Eastern Christian)
  • Burkina Faso
  • Cameroon
  • Canada (day off for civil service and public schools)
  • Cape Verde Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Cook Islands
  • Croatia
  • Côte d'Ivoire
  • Cyprus (Eastern Christian)
  • Czech Republic (Pomlazka)
  • Denmark
  • Dominica
  • Egypt (Eastern Christian, as Sham El Nessim, Coptic Church)
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Ethiopia
  • Faroe Islands
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • France
  • French Guiana
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Georgia (Eastern Christian)

• Germany
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece (Eastern Christian)
  • Greenland
  • Grenada
  • Guadeloupe
  • Guatemala
  • Guinea
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong (people often hold special events such as easter egg races and painting easter eggs)
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Iran
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Latvia
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia (Eastern Christian)
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Martinique
  • Moldova (Eastern Christian)
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro (Eastern Christian)
  • Montserrat
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • Netherlands
  • Netherlands Antilles
  • New Caledonia

• New Zealand
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Niue
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Romania (Eastern Christian)
  • Russia (Eastern Christian)
  • Rwanda
  • San Marino
  • Senegal
  • Serbia (Eastern Christian)
  • Seychelles
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa (Family Day)[18]
  • Spain (Only in some Regions of Northern and Eastern Spain.)
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Pierre and Miquelon
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Suriname
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Syria (Eastern Christian)
  • Tanzania
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom (except Scotland)
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City
  • Western Samoa
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

OP, I have no specific info on Santorini - perhaps try the CC port board for Greece or the Trip Advisor destination forum for Santorini for more info?

Donna, please don't stop posting unless you really don't like posting anymore:)

It *is* tough to determine tone online..

Lyn, all I was thinking was that they might be looking at the wrong dates for Holy Week and Easter. Because Orthodox Easter is a week later than Easter in Western denominations.

For Easter, to clarify (tone: gentle, I hope!): this year 2017 Orthodox and non-Orthodox Easter happen to be the same day, April 16, 2017. They aren't usually the same. In 2018 Orthodox Easter will be April 8, 2018 and non-Orthodox Easter will be April 1, 2018. In 2016, Orthodox Easter was May 1st 2016 and non-Orthodox Easter was March 27th 2016 (!). Believe it or not, there's a whole wikipedia article on setting the date for Easter...

For "Holiday" in practice ( if I'm not beating the dead topic too badly), it certainly depends. All holidays are not necessarily Holy Days, and local store/museum functions vary depending on the specific holiday. A few examples: In my experience, most US museums are closed New Year's Day but many - not all - would be open on President's Day; most stores in the US have no or limited hours on Christmas Day but are open on December 26th even if the 26th is a holiday (that is, those years where the 25th is a Sunday). At least when I was a kid, Columbus Day wasn't really observed on the West Coast except that federal government offices, the post office and banks were closed, but in the Northeast it is much more widely observed (day off school, many businesses closed, etc)...

Edited by babysteps
clarity (I hope)

Most customs and traditions in Greece and the Greek Islands are of a religious nature, but some stem from paganism. Easter is by far the most important celebration for the Greeks, even Christmas comes second. The celebrations for Easter truly begin two months before, but Holy Week is the peak of these activities.