Best way to bring wine onboard

Cojobro

We have not been on Princess since 2001 and we are sailing on the Regal

Nov. 29. We would like to bring at least 2 bottles of wine onboard. Does Princess have a rule as to how you should bring it on?(checked or carry on luggage?) Do they charge you the corkage fee for any more than 2 upon check in? Thank you to anyone who can help.

One bottle per person. Put in your carry on luggage. $15 for more than one bottle per person. The ones you take to the dining room, you have to pay the corkage fee and they put a sticker on your bottle. Many people poured themselves a glass of wine in their cabin and carried it to the dining room. This way the dining room had to assume it had been purchased at one of the bars.

Can't find the link on princess.com where it says to use carryon luggage for wine

@goofy559 can you please share ?

In my previous I took 3 bottles of wine for the 2 of us and didn't get charged for the 3rd ( I don't remember whether I checked those in or carried on [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30])

The policy says 1 bottle of wine or champagne free per person and any more bottles are charged $15 each ( size is 750 ml )

Edited by sanchari

Was it for 2 or 1 person?

1 per person ...

I think the hope here is the scanner personnel for checked and carry on and will let the 2 through thinking the traveling party ( of 2 I suppose ) has only 2

Maybe princess has a system to catch this

the downside to this plan is a charge of $30 if they find out about 4 which the "smugglers" ( me too [emoji12][emoji12]) can live with

Was it for 2 or 1 person?

It was 2 checked and 2 carried on. There were 2 of us traveling together.

I think the hope here is the scanner personnel for checked and carry on and will let the 2 through thinking the traveling party ( of 2 I suppose ) has only 2

Exactly!

Edited by Orlando Vic

We have not been on Princess since 2001 and we are sailing on the Regal

Nov. 29. We would like to bring at least 2 bottles of wine onboard. Does Princess have a rule as to how you should bring it on?(checked or carry on luggage?) Do they charge you the corkage fee for any more than 2 upon check in? Thank you to anyone who can help.

The rule is in your carry on, if you want to follow the rule is up to you.

They CAN charge the $15.00 for the bottles that are over your FREE allowance, if they do charge is a crap shoot, some do some don't.

Theo

The bottom line is to pack two bottles in your checked luggage & if they catch it, so be it. IF they don't you're ahead $30. Why put all four bottle in the carry on luggage & almost assure they'll find it?

They've created the problem so let they work for the money.

Well said Florida ... Some people say we are breaking rules ... Go cowboys !!!!!

The bottom line is to pack two bottles in your checked luggage & if they catch it, so be it. IF they don't you're ahead $30. Why put all four bottle in the carry on luggage & almost assure they'll find it?

Aren't the instructions that wine must be carried on printed on your luggage tags?

Aren't the instructions that wine must be carried on printed on your luggage tags?

from luggage tag PDF

Please remember our

carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine

or champagne per adult per

voyage, which will not be

subject to a corkage fee if

consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or

champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a

$15 corkage fee per bottle,

irrespective of where they are

intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers

are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search.

the phrase there is "carryon alcohol policy"

some people are interpreting that as wine should be included in carryon .

I am not doing that until they state clearly that "Wine bottles should be in carryon luggage and any wine bottles found in checked baggage will be discarded"

and in case someone points out that boarding pass has some other text , here is what boarding pass states about alcohol

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

The downside , as discussed before is , $15 per bottle fee & the upside is them missing to add on the charge.

Not powerball by any means but something to smile about for a second :p:p:p

If they do catch you your out 2 bottles of wine. doesn't make since to me to try and get away with it.

The downside seems to be that they could discard your wine. I mean, you'll have the moral high ground of "I don't recognize compound adjectives as binding policy," but you also won't have your wine. If you want to take the chance, that's you call!

dont want to detriorate the content of this thread , could the people who are claiming that wines in checked baggage will be discarded please cite their source ? as in links or tell us how to get to that page if is it is protected by a login ?

Thanks!!!

"As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Under alcohol policy.

Even if you think it's not clear that wine must be carried on, they do, since you've already handed your checked luggage off by the time you get to the table where you pay corkage on extra bottles and they apply the stamp. So by definition, any alcohol found in checked luggage is outside their policy.

Edited by likeadisguise

the phrase there is "carryon alcohol policy"

some people are interpreting that as wine should be included in carryon .

I am not doing that until they state clearly that "Wine bottles should be in carryon luggage and any wine bottles found in checked baggage will be discarded"

I'm fairly certain that the Passage Contract says that wine must be in carry-on bags.

The FAQs section on the website refers you to the Passage Contract:

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

And the Passage Contract says that wine must be in the carry-on bags.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Well, I guess you can start putting wine in your carry-on bags from now on, because "they" have stated very clearly that this is what you must do. The document that binds you to their policies is the "Passage Contract". You must check a box agreeing to that Contract before you can sail. And here is what the Passage Contract says:

That is the bottom line. Case closed. You were looking for clear language on the subject. Now you have it.

Thanks JimmyVWine , that is helpful and definitive.

Doesnt mean that i wont try to push the envelope though. :p:p

As to people talking about tables etc , i didnt see any tables in Houston the last time i boarded ( similar to the experience observed here --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976818

Update: JimmyVWine edited their post and removed the snippet from princess contract & removed some "i told you so" comments :) . I was not affected by those comments as they were pointing out something correct and i wouldnt be barking up the wrong tree once i discover my wine missing . So appreciate the research & do not care about the language or tone

Edited by sanchari
Adding text because JimmyV edited their post

I'm fairly certain that the Passage Contract says that wine must be in carry-on bags.

Yup. Section 5:

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage."