Best way to bring wine onboard

Cojobro

If they do catch you your out 2 bottles of wine. doesn't make since to me to try and get away with it.

Not necessarily, at least not the way it's done in Seattle, other ports may do it in other ways.

In Seattle, when the bags are scanned, if something is found (e.g. weapons, hard liquor, other items) the bag is confiscated and reported to the ship. The ship holds the bag and notifies the bag's owner to come down to security where they have the passenger open the bag so they can check what was seen during the scan. If you have contraband, it's confiscated and your bag is given to you. If it's okay, then you're given your bag with the items. If you have gone through the alcohol check point during check-in, the number of bottles you had checked in there was annotated on a list and that would then, I believe, be bounced against what was in your bag to see if you had brought more wine on board than allowed. This last sentence is supposition on my part but the first part isn't as I've seen it happen.

As to the original question, however, wine can be put in your carry-on or carried on personally, either way.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

I am confused with this. We always bring our allowed two bottles but because we fly they are in our check baggage. Can you no longer have wine in checked baggage only carry on when boarding the ship

That is what the policy says -- and it will appear right on your luggage tags.

I am confused with this. We always bring our allowed two bottles but because we fly they are in our check baggage. Can you no longer have wine in checked baggage only carry on when boarding the ship

Sure you can and if they catch it you'll pay the $15 penalty per bottle, if not you're ahead of the game. ;)

So we have to pay $15 if it is in our checked luggage and nothing if we carry it on? As long as we only bring 2 bottles. So before we get to the ship I should take it out of my luggage and put it in my carryon?

The cruise contract says wine should be in carryon only .. So there is a risk of wine in checked baggage getting discarded ..

Many reports of wine in checked baggage making it to the cabin and a few reports of it getting confiscated

If peace of mind is your goal and have the ability to switch the wine from checked baggage to carryon post flight , go ahead and do that ..

Edited by sanchari

So we have to pay $15 if it is in our checked luggage and nothing if we carry it on? As long as we only bring 2 bottles. So before we get to the ship I should take it out of my luggage and put it in my carryon?

No, you will not have to pay automatically if it's in your checked on, unless they've changed their policy lately. If you have wine in your luggage and are concerned about it, what I would suggest is that during the check-in process, stop by the table where the ship's personnel are checking those who are hand carrying wine onto the ship and tell them that you have X bottles of wine in your checked luggage and ask if that is a problem. They should be able to handle the situation. I suspect that if you haven't exceeded the appropriate limit, you will be fine.

Tom

The cruise contract says wine should be in carryon only ..

From the Passage Contract

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage "

I don't get how you can have 86 posts on this. This isn't rocket science read what princess says. Its explained very well. You can't tell me that you can't pack your luggage so that you can just unzip and take 2 bottles out and carry on the ship. Just involves a little preplanning.

The cruise contract says wine should be in carryon only .. So there is a risk of wine in checked baggage getting discarded ..

Many reports of wine in checked baggage making it to the cabin and a few reports of it getting confiscated

If peace of mind is your goal and have the ability to switch the wine from checked baggage to carryon post flight , go ahead and do that ..

It won't happen. Princess doesn't like to irritate their passengers in that manner. The worst that will happen it they'll charge you for the extra.

I don't get how you can have 86 posts on this. This isn't rocket science read what princess says. Its explained very well. You can't tell me that you can't pack your luggage so that you can just unzip and take 2 bottles out and carry on the ship. Just involves a little preplanning.

I don't think anyone is saying they would have a problem carrying on two bottles. What they are asking is if they bring more than the two, and have all intentions of paying the corkage fee, can they pack the "extra" bottles in their luggage.

I don't think anyone is saying they would have a problem carrying on two bottles. What they are asking is if they bring more than the two, and have all intentions of paying the corkage fee, can they pack the "extra" bottles in their luggage.

The rules say carry on only.What so hard to figured out.

As I stated before, the rules are simple. Wine you wish to bring onboard should be in your carryon luggage. Nowhere does it say “if you have more than 2 bottles you may put them in your checked baggage and pay for them in the dining room”! Nor does it say if our policy is not “convenient” for you, do it any way you wish!

Those that read Cruise Critic on a regular basis should know that being charged for corkage in the dining room is hit or miss. Trying to circumvent the system that Princess has set up for bringing wine onboard saying you have every intention of paying corkage in the dining room becomes suspect after too many repeats.

This is starting to sound like the threads on tipping, where people go to great lengths to explain why they remove auto tips.

The more people choose to NOT follow the cruise lines rules, the greater the possibility of the cruise line ending the program altogether.

Fair winds

Dave

They should not open your luggage without you being present!!!

Oh yes they do, my friends had big (Security Inspected) stickers on their luggage and it was very late being delivered to the cabin. They had only one bottle of wine in each bag and the wine was there, but the bags had been opened.

Oh yes they do, my friends had big (Security Inspected) stickers on their luggage and it was very late being delivered to the cabin. They had only one bottle of wine in each bag and the wine was there, but the bags had been opened.

Did they have locks on them that Princess opened?

If you have a lock on your luggage that they can't open, then you don't get the bag until you meet with them and open it. Says so in the rules.

It is true that there is now a sentence in the cruise contract that indicates wine and champagne should be in hand carrys. I never spotted that before or even heard that until this thread. We cruise all the time on HAL, Regent and Princess, okay, so they want you to hand carry your wine on board, no big deal for me, except it is more convenient in the checked luggage since it keeps my hand carrys small enough I can put them in those racks above ones head on the coach.

However, all other written references to this policy leaves much to conjecture as to whether or not you can place wine in check-in luggage including their FAQ and the language on your luggage tags as well. Princess should enlighten everybody and quit being mealy-mouthed on the issue, come right out with a positive stipulation, "No alcohol beverages at all allowed in checked luggage."

Now, as previously mentioned, we have cruised four times on Princess in the last year, each time bringing wine in our checked luggage. Four weeks ago we got off a coach from the land portion of a one week Princesss cruise tour, didn't have the opportunity to remove the half bottle of Jack in one bag, as unexpectedly it went from the last hotel to our cabin, so they confiscated the Jack. (Please, nobody call me a cheat again and say I tried to smuggle the Jack, grrr.) They opened all three bags. In each bag they opened they left a formal pre-printed Princess notice. The notice in the bag where the Jack was explained how and why they had confiscated it. The notice in the bags with the wine, explained they had opened our bags and all was okay. So, I question, if Princess has such an absolute policy, why doesn't notices like that say: "ALL LIQUOR INCLUDING WINE AND CHAMPAGNE PROHIBITED FROM BEING TRANSPORTED ON BOARD IN CHECKED LUGGAGE" ?

Edited by kennicott

If you have a lock on your luggage that they can't open, then you don't get the bag until you meet with them and open it. Says so in the rules.

It is true that there is now a sentence in the cruise contract that indicates wine and champagne should be in hand carrys. I never spotted that before or even heard that until this thread. We cruise all the time on HAL, Regent and Princess, okay, so they want you to hand carry your wine on board, no big deal for me, except it is more convenient in the checked luggage since it keeps my hand carrys small enough I can put them in those racks above ones head on the coach.

However, all other written references to this policy leaves much to conjecture as to whether or not you can place wine in check-in luggage including their FAQ and the language on your luggage tags as well. Princess should enlighten everybody and quit being mealy-mouthed on the issue, come right out with a positive stipulation, "No alcohol beverages at all allowed in checked luggage."

Now, as previously mentioned, we have cruised four times on Princess in the last year, each time bringing wine in our checked luggage. Four weeks ago we got off a coach from the land portion of a one week Princesss cruise tour, didn't have the opportunity to remove the half bottle of Jack in one bag, as unexpectedly it went from the last hotel to our cabin, so they confiscated the Jack. (Please, nobody call me a cheat again and say I tried to smuggle the Jack, grrr.) They opened all three bags. In each bag they opened they left a formal pre-printed Princess notice. The notice in the bag where the Jack was explained how and why they had confiscated it. The notice in the bags with the wine, explained they had opened our bags and all was okay. So, I question, if Princess has such an absolute policy, why doesn't notices like that say: "ALL LIQUOR INCLUDING WINE AND CHAMPAGNE PROHIBITED FROM BEING TRANSPORTED ON BOARD IN CHECKED LUGGAGE" ?

Agree!

And I'm with you about being called a cheater...grrrr!

No locks.....some with locks have been asked to open the bags. they only had one bottle of wine, so it was no problem or cost, just late delivery of the bag and a sticker on the outside.

When you pay the corkage on the extra bottles after check-in they stamp (or put a sticker on) the bottles you pay for. That way you won't get charged corkage again if you take them to the dining room. Kind of hard to mark the bottles if they're not there.

Last year, I had bottles in a taped up box from Total Wine that was not in the best condition. I told the desk how many bottles and they gave me the stickers for the overs and I put them on myself once I made it to cabin and unpacked the box.

Last year, I had bottles in a taped up box from Total Wine that was not in the best condition. I told the desk how many bottles and they gave me the stickers for the overs and I put them on myself once I made it to cabin and unpacked the box.

There you go....that's what we brought on, on one of our sailings. (before the new polity, but still)

We have ALWAYS had to pay the corkage in the dining room...every time...as expected, it was never hit or miss.

If it's "hit and miss", as someone has said, then there is clearly not a very defined policy despite what the "passage contract" says. If you are allowed to check it and get the stickers then it is not a clearly defined policy.

It's whatever...

There you go....that's what we brought on, on one of our sailings. (before the new polity, but still)

We have ALWAYS had to pay the corkage in the dining room...every time...as expected, it was never hit or miss.

If it's "hit and miss", as someone has said, then there is clearly not a very defined policy despite what the "passage contract" says. If you are allowed to check it and get the stickers then it is not a clearly defined policy.

It's whatever...

I don't think it has anything to do with policy. It has to do with whether your waiter is hopeful you will give him/her a generous tip at the end of your cruise. :p