Best way to bring wine onboard

Cojobro

I don't think it has anything to do with policy. It has to do with whether your waiter is hopeful you will give him/her a generous tip at the end of your cruise. :p

On our cruise on the Grand (we brought a case) we tipped our waiter very generously and not only that....we shared at least a glass of our wine with him each night...one night even giving him the whole bottle because it was not to our taste. We didn't mind that we paid the corkage every night...that is what we expected.

We have found that though they have a standard policy regarding wine, how they carry out enforcing it varies from port to port. And cruise to cruise.

Print your luggage tag. There may be an alcohol addendum on the luggage tag.

Sometimes we have carried on with no stop or sticker. It is for the dining room, so it didn't matter.

If they insist you stop, request just the stickers, so that you can choose which wine you would enjoy in your stateroom. That way, if you bring too much, just save the sticker for the next cruise.

You do not get a refund on corkage fees.

Enjoy your cruise!

AC

We have found that though they have a standard policy regarding wine, how they carry out enforcing it varies from port to port. And cruise to cruise.

Print your luggage tag. There may be an alcohol addendum on the luggage tag.

Sometimes we have carried on with no stop or sticker. It is for the dining room, so it didn't matter.

If they insist you stop, request just the stickers, so that you can choose which wine you would enjoy in your stateroom. That way, if you bring too much, just save the sticker for the next cruise.

You do not get a refund on corkage fees.

Enjoy your cruise!

AC

Too early for us to print our tags but I looked at ours from a year ago and it says nothing about wine/champagne/alcohol at all!

Edited by suzyed

I can print mine, following is what they say. Some posters have stated that this language unequivocally says that wine must not be brought on the ship in checked luggage. I disagree. If so it would be simple enough and an appropriate enough place to stipulate, right here on the baggage tags used both, by the way, for checked and carry on: "LIQUOR OF ANY TYPE PROHIBITED IN CHECKED LUGGAGE."

"Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine

or champagne per adult per

voyage, which will not be

subject to a corkage fee if

consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or

champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a

$15 corkage fee per bottle,

irrespective of where they are

intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers

are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search."

I'm surprised no one mentioned boxed wines in this thread.

My wife and I always bring wine on Princess (etc) cruises and it is packed in our carry-on bags. Nice that Princess (and NCL) allow one 750ml bottle gratis per person, but even for a short cruise that might not be enough. So, we generally bring a 3l box of wine instead of bottles. That gives us plenty of wine, but of course we are way over the 750ml*2 = 1500ml limit per couple. We sometimes pay $15, but occasionally we pay for the amount over 1500ml, which is about another 1500ml, or two 750ml bottles of wine. So it costs us about $15-$30 to bring our Bota box on board, which we think is a bargain. The boxed wines are so much safer both transporting to the ship, and staring in the cabin. Boxes don't roll around, easily spill, etc.

A mox of wine might be something to consider on your next cruise. The problem with bringing a box, of course, is you are limited to just that one wine. Some of you might want a variety of wines, but luckily my wife and I like the same wine, and don't need variety (regarding wine anyway!) on a cruise.:cool:

I can print mine, following is what they say. Some posters have stated that this language unequivocally says that wine must not be brought on the ship in checked luggage. I disagree.

Good.

It is you who is inconvenienced if you have to go to the naughty

room to collect your suitcase, even when you do not have to pay corkage.

I know there are lots of people here who brag about printing every

page of documentation they can think to bring to bolster any argument,

even up to putting a lawyer in a checked bag to argue a particular

tense of some verb somewhere...

But for me, it's a much happier time if I just follow the rules and avoid

confrontation over unimportant things.

Edited by pablo222

I'm surprised no one mentioned boxed wines in this thread.

My wife and I always bring wine on Princess (etc) cruises and it is packed in our carry-on bags. Nice that Princess (and NCL) allow one 750ml bottle gratis per person, but even for a short cruise that might not be enough. So, we generally bring a 3l box of wine instead of bottles. That gives us plenty of wine, but of course we are way over the 750ml*2 = 1500ml limit per couple. We sometimes pay $15, but occasionally we pay for the amount over 1500ml, which is about another 1500ml, or two 750ml bottles of wine. So it costs us about $15-$30 to bring our Bota box on board, which we think is a bargain. The boxed wines are so much safer both transporting to the ship, and staring in the cabin. Boxes don't roll around, easily spill, etc.

A mox of wine might be something to consider on your next cruise. The problem with bringing a box, of course, is you are limited to just that one wine. Some of you might want a variety of wines, but luckily my wife and I like the same wine, and don't need variety (regarding wine anyway!) on a cruise.:cool:

Interesting idea, PS. I'd make some kind of comment about thinking inside the box, but that is clearly too punny. :D

The way I read your post. It sounds like you carry on a 3000ml box of wine, and it sounds like you may or may not be charged corkage for the 1500ml beyond what Princess allows without corkage per adult passenger.

I think that's a pretty good workaround. If you don't get too wrapped around the axle about the fact that the Princess policy references "750ml bottles," your plan seems to fall right in line with the spirit of that policy.

Good.

It is you who is inconvenienced if you have to go to the naughty

room to collect your suitcase, even when you do not have to pay corkage.

I know there are lots of people here who brag about printing every

page of documentation they can think to bring to bolster any argument,

even up to putting a lawyer in a checked bag to argue a particular

tense of some verb somewhere...

But for me, it's a much happier time if I just follow the rules and avoid

confrontation over unimportant things.

Apparently you don't read previous posts. As I tried patiently to explain, we bring our allotment of wine in our checked luggage. Never even heard or read that you can't do that, until recent language in the contract was pointed out in this thread. Regardless of contradicting verbiage, sometimes our bags have been opened and our wine discovered. No trips to the "naughty" room after 225 days of Princess sailing. Rather, a nice preprinted Princess note was in the items of luggage containing wine, as delivered to our cabin, explaining to us they opened the bags, found the wine and all was okay. Guess they must have missed the lawyer I stuffed in there.

So, I continue on booking Princess, sitting on my balcony, watching the flying fish, very therapeutic. Oh by the way, sipping my wine in the process.

Apparently you don't read previous posts. As I tried patiently to explain, we bring our allotment of wine in our checked luggage. Never even heard or read that you can't do that, until recent language in the contract was pointed out in this thread. Regardless of contradicting verbiage, sometimes our bags have been opened and our wine discovered. No trips to the "naughty" room after 225 days of Princess sailing. Rather, a nice preprinted Princess note was in the items of luggage containing wine, as delivered to our cabin, explaining to us they opened the bags, found the wine and all was okay. Guess they must have missed the lawyer I stuffed in there.

So, I continue on booking Princess, sitting on my balcony, watching the flying fish, very therapeutic. Oh by the way, sipping my wine in the process.

I don't know how they missed your lawyer in your bag...but I'm guessing maybe there are no restrictions on carrying lawyers in your check bags! LOL!

I have two daughters who are lawyers, so if they hear you can pack them in the bags, we might have to book a bigger cabin next time! ;)

I've got to chime against of those folks who pack wine in their checked luggage -- I would have to say that I would be LIVID if someone packed wine in their luggage and it broke and spilled into or onto my luggage/clothes/etc. Princess would have ZERO liability and I'd be stuck with stinky clothes. Why would anyone risk having broken glass and wine in their luggage?

I ALWAYS carry on wine. Back in the good old days a lot of it - whatever bottles I hadn't enjoyed I'd give to the maître d', waiters, whomever (in a 'better safe than sorry' and have too much mode!)

I'm still going to carry on my wine in January. If they want to charge me, fine. It's still WAY cheaper to pay $15 to carry on what I like.

Edited by Morgsmom

I've got to chime against of those folks who pack wine in their checked luggage -- I would have to say that I would be LIVID if someone packed wine in their luggage and it broke and spilled into or onto my luggage/clothes/etc. Princess would have ZERO liability and I'd be stuck with stinky clothes. Why would anyone risk having broken glass and wine in their luggage?

I ALWAYS carry on wine. Back in the good old days a lot of it - whatever bottles I hadn't enjoyed I'd give to the maître d', waiters, whomever (in a 'better safe than sorry' and have too much mode!)

I'm still going to carry on my wine in January. If they want to charge me, fine. It's still WAY cheaper to pay $15 to carry on what I like.

Don't forget that airlines allow wine and other liquids in checked baggage. Spillage and contamination of other's luggage isn't that much of an issue or problem for the air carriers. I'm not aware of any negative comment concerning that subject at all. If anyone is tough on luggage it is the "ramp rats". In fact, in all my years with the air lines I can't recall any incidents in that regard. However, I do recall that, on two different occasions, weapons in carry on luggage discharged. One time striking one of our agents in the foot, in Wrangell if memory serves me correct. That really got us concerned.

Anyrate, as some of us have posted here, we use water tight sealed bubble wrap type bags for "all liquids" in our checked luggage.

It is difficult to comprehend how some work themselves up into a high key over the possibility of a liquid spill in checked luggage during embarkation while completely ignoring that eventuality at disembarkation. As has previously been posted:

"As far as placing wine in checked luggage though, the cruise lines fall all over themselves to encourage us to do so at disembarkation. Why? They want to sell us their real good stuff from their duty free shops---$$$. Which I take advantage of on occasion. Additionally, we always purchase the lines shore excursion packages, many of which have wine tasting and buying included, since we usually prefer the longer voyages we find ourselves with multiple bottles to bring home to share with family and friends. They do make excellent water tight bubble-rap type packages just for this purpose. We usually take a half dozen or so whether we use them or not."

Simple hypothetical paranoia in my opinion.

Don't forget that airlines allow wine and other liquids in checked baggage. Spillage and contamination of other's luggage isn't that much of an issue or problem for the air carriers. I'm not aware of any negative comment concerning that subject at all. If anyone is tough on luggage it is the "ramp rats". In fact, in all my years with the air lines I can't recall any incidents in that regard. However, I do recall that, on two different occasions, weapons in carry on luggage discharged. One time striking one of our agents in the foot, in Wrangell if memory serves me correct. That really got us concerned.

Anyrate, as some of us have posted here, we use water tight sealed bubble wrap type bags for "all liquids" in our checked luggage.

It is difficult to comprehend how some work themselves up into a high key over the possibility of a liquid spill in checked luggage during embarkation while completely ignoring that eventuality at disembarkation. As has previously been posted:

"As far as placing wine in checked luggage though, the cruise lines fall all over themselves to encourage us to do so at disembarkation. Why? They want to sell us their real good stuff from their duty free shops---$$$. Which I take advantage of on occasion. Additionally, we always purchase the lines shore excursion packages, many of which have wine tasting and buying included, since we usually prefer the longer voyages we find ourselves with multiple bottles to bring home to share with family and friends. They do make excellent water tight bubble-rap type packages just for this purpose. We usually take a half dozen or so whether we use them or not."

Simple hypothetical paranoia in my opinion.

Good points. On the subject of the weapon discharge. I would think that if a person puts a loaded weapon (which I'm defining here as a weapon with a round in a chamber) into a bag or something similar and that weapon discharges, the person who put that weapon there would be subject to being charged with assault or some similar charge. Do you know if something along that line was ever done in the case you mentioned? Let's not start a branch of this thread on gun control or anything, I'm just curious about this one point.

Tom

Good points. On the subject of the weapon discharge. I would think that if a person puts a loaded weapon (which I'm defining here as a weapon with a round in a chamber) into a bag or something similar and that weapon discharges, the person who put that weapon there would be subject to being charged with assault or some similar charge. Do you know if something along that line was ever done in the case you mentioned? Let's not start a branch of this thread on gun control or anything, I'm just curious about this one point.

Tom

I can't remember the exact rules back then about weapons in luggage, but they were pretty lenient if there were any at all (That occurred long before 9/11). Obviously, a loaded weapon under any circumstance like that was a no-no. I actually believe that nothing happened to the idiot who had packed the loaded weapon into his luggage. Perhaps there was a civil suit later by the agent who got shot, but I don't think so.

I do recall at the time many of us in the industry wanted someone to be "horsewhipped" or something. During my commercial piloting years I flew many hunters, it was always a concern of mine that someone would hand me a gun with one under the hammer. I would always ask "Is your rifle unloaded" the answer was always yes. I just hated to open up the chamber of one of my client's guns to double check, for fear of embarrassing them. But since I was always concerned, I would load and unload the rifles into the aircraft myself making certain the muzzle was pointed where it wouldn't do any damage.

Today, bush pilots not only have that to worry about but now it's "bear spray" too, which wasn't around in my day. The practice is to ask the passengers if they have bear spray with them, almost all hikers here in Alaska do so anymore. You then take the bear spray from them and duct tape it to the wing strut. Imagining a can of that stuff going off inside a small enclosed cabin just gives me the willies.

Checking luggage with weapons inside today is a completely different ball game. Federal law requires both the passenger and the airlines to accomplish a bunch of stuff. I bet if a rifle went off today, like the one did back then, both the agent and the passenger would see the inside of a "grey bar" hotel for a bit.

Don't forget that airlines allow wine and other liquids in checked baggage. Spillage and contamination of other's luggage isn't that much of an issue or problem for the air carriers. I'm not aware of any negative comment concerning that subject at all. If anyone is tough on luggage it is the "ramp rats". In fact, in all my years with the air lines I can't recall any incidents in that regard.

I agree with most of you post, Kennicott. It sounds like you do have a lot of experience from which you draw.

The problem that I see, though, is that not all travelers are as careful as you are. There are people who think if they wrap up their bottles inside their shirts, they will be protected. In a post, above, I reported seeing a bag (one of those soft-sided things with wheels) that had been removed, presumably by some airline baggage person, from a luggage carrousel and was standing in a puddle of red wine on the floor. There is no upside to overestimating the intelligence of my fellow travelers. Sorry, I'm turning into a grumpy old man. On the other hand, there is really nothing I can do to fix stupidity. :D

I have packed wine in baggage that I have checked. I have a couple soft-sided thermal totes into which I can jam two bottles of wine with a blue ice between them. Many wineries sell these in their gift shop. So, you get their logo on it. The tote is closed by velcro. The blue ice keeps the bottles from clinking against each other and keeps them cold.

The leak-proof bubble-wrap bags that you mention sound good. I should check them out.

To the people who are concerned about the tedium of carrying on more than a few bottles of wine, there are several products available that are pretty good. A lot of my wine geek friends swear by a product called Wine Check. Multiple wine geek friends have reported no problems checking this onto airlines--including trips to Europe. As you can see, it has wheels. So, after, picking it up at the airport baggage claim, a traveler can drag it as carry-on to a cruise ship.

If you scroll down the page on that same link, there is another product called VinGarde Valise. This one is a similar concept but is much fancier. As you might imagine it comes with a much fancier price tag.

You know, all of us have opinion(s) regarding the subject at hand here. Not all agree and that is good, from my standpoint I learn a lot from constructive dialogue like this.

However, it occurs to me that this discourse may be for nought or elementary in short order due to evolutionary changes in contemporary cruising. You see, things might soon be completely different, security wise, on cruise ships due to increasing global political unrest and subsequent dangers.

To be specific, how long is the cruise industry going to be able to regard checked luggage any differently than the TSA does carry on luggage on air-transports?

Its easy for the TSA to be more lenient with checked luggage on airline flights, for instance, relatively large volumes of liquids, firearms, other weapons and dangerous objects are allowed, since the passenger never comes in contact with the luggage while on the aircraft. Not so for cruise ships, every passenger is reunited with his luggage once in the cabin.

You know, all of us have opinion(s) regarding the subject at hand here. Not all agree and that is good, from my standpoint I learn a lot from constructive dialogue like this.

However, it occurs to me that this discourse may be for nought or elementary in short order due to evolutionary changes in contemporary cruising. You see, things might soon be completely different, security wise, on cruise ships due to increasing global political unrest and subsequent dangers.

To be specific, how long is the cruise industry going to be able to regard checked luggage any differently than the TSA does carry on luggage on air-transports?

Its easy for the TSA to be more lenient with checked luggage on airline flights, for instance, relatively large volumes of liquids, firearms, other weapons and dangerous objects are allowed, since the passenger never comes in contact with the luggage while on the aircraft. Not so for cruise ships, every passenger is reunited with his luggage once in the cabin.

It will be interesting to see how this goes! :confused:

You do realize, don't you, that your bags, both carry-on and checked, are all X-rayed before they're taking onto the ship?

Tom

You do realize, don't you, that your bags, both carry-on and checked, are all X-rayed before they're taking onto the ship?

Tom

Certainly I do Tom, most of us do. Full well. But that wasn't my question here, perhaps I confused you, sorry.

Once again, for the most part, all luggage, hand carry or checked is screened, both on airlines and cruise ships.

Even before TSA, there were/are quite a number of items that a passenger is not allowed to have possession of inside the passenger cabin or more accurately have possession of when entering the secure area of the airport, but many if not most of those items can be carried inside checked luggage. Without going into a litany of detail regarding the security history of why each item is prohibited from being hand carried into the secure areas, suffice to say that once on the aircraft they could be used to endanger the flight and other passengers. The reason those items are allowed within checked luggage is that the passenger has no way of gaining possession of them until safely away from the aircraft and outside of the airport's restricted area.

However, the big difference between checked luggage on ships and that on airplanes is that the ship guest gains possession of the luggage and all therein after boarding. If cruise lines are relegated to follow the security procedures of airlines, then here are the lists of items the cruise guest can not transport on board the ship or more accurately inside the secured perimeter surrounding the ship (IN EITHER HAND CARRY OR CHECKED LUGGAGE). In case you misunderstand here, any baggage, hand carry or "CHECK IN", when boarding a cruise ship may have to soon comply with the same restrictions that the hand carry on airlines do today. So, do not confuse any of that with what the airlines rules are pertaining to their "CHECK IN" luggage rules.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

As an example, take liquids for instance. A passenger may not bring more than a 3.4 ounce bottle of water into the airport secure area. But after in that area or on the aircraft the passenger may purchase a larger bottle of water or soda, etc. Same would hold true on the ships, any single item of liquid over 3.4 ounces, other than medications, passengers would have to purchase once on the ship, they could not have it in any luggage.

Liquids Rule

"You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag separate from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage."

So my question is, is any of the rhetoric on this thread now going to be of much concern after that occurs and how are guests going to react once security on the ships is as tight as it is on aircraft nowadays with regard to what can be initially brought on board?

Tom

Sometimes I wonder just how carefully the screeners actually are. They don't seem to spend more than seconds per bag and lots of items are of large size.

There are a few good ideas for smuggling wine also but they're all improvised. ;)

I don't bother to smuggle wine on board. But those Rum Runner flasks are much, much better IMHO that taking a chance with glass breaking, etc, plus they are much lighter than a glass bottle. For wine on a cruise, my favorite solution is still boxed wines, like Black Box or Botta.