Best way to bring wine onboard

Cojobro

Certainly I do Tom, most of us do. Full well. But that wasn't my question here, perhaps I confused you, sorry.

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. Sorry 'bout that. Must be that cold Alaska weather that y'all have been sending down here to WA the last 3-4 days. Brrr... ;)

Thanks for clarifying.

Tom

I don't bother to smuggle wine on board. But those Rum Runner flasks are much, much better IMHO that taking a chance with glass breaking, etc, plus they are much lighter than a glass bottle. For wine on a cruise, my favorite solution is still boxed wines, like Black Box or Botta.

Totally agree. :) Those bottles are heavy both to take aboard & bring home.

Those are similar to the Rum Runners we use for the "hard stuff".

I think the name is a bit better than the image I get from "Wine Diapers"! :eek: :cool:

Nope! Nothing at all like rum runners! The wine diaper is to keep your bottle of wine from breaking...but if it does, it absorbs 750ml of liquid. They are not designed to smuggle anything...it's to protect it.

I don't bother to smuggle wine on board. But those Rum Runner flasks are much, much better IMHO that taking a chance with glass breaking, etc, plus they are much lighter than a glass bottle. For wine on a cruise, my favorite solution is still boxed wines, like Black Box or Botta.

I don't smuggle anything. And I don't usually drink wine from a box. Not trying to be a wine snob, there are plenty of wines on the wine list that are comparable to the wine in the box, so I might as well order off the wine list and save myself the trouble of carrying on wine.

If I bring any, I only bring wine that is not on the ship's wine list. I would bring wine that make it worth paying a corkage fee for.

Nope! Nothing at all like rum runners! The wine diaper is to keep your bottle of wine from breaking...but if it does, it absorbs 750ml of liquid. They are not designed to smuggle anything...it's to protect it.

Ah HA, I understand now. I still like using boxed wine instead.....part of that might be my Scottish ancestry....not that I'm thrifty or anyting! :rolleyes:

Recently boarded from Port Everglades. Security is NOT Princess personnel. They don't really notice or care. There were three adults in our party, each brought 1 bottle. One person had a bag with all of them. We were in separate security lines (as directed by security staff) and the person holding all 3 bottles was never stopped or questioned.

The check in table was way off to the side and I never saw anyone stop there to ticket for extra bottles re: corkage.

So while none of us smuggled or brought more than our standard allowance, short of wheeling your own barrels through security I think you can bring as much as you want in practical application.

Your mileage may vary. this is not an endorsement to break rules. I am just reporting what I experienced.

The check in table was way off to the side and I never saw anyone stop there to ticket for extra bottles re: corkage.

So while none of us smuggled or brought more than our standard allowance, short of wheeling your own barrels through security I think you can bring as much as you want in practical application.

Your mileage may vary. this is not an endorsement to break rules. I am just reporting what I experienced.

How I wish this were the case, however on our last boarding at Port Everglades hubby and I were both directed to the table. We each had 2 bottles but we had two cabins (one was for the kids). We both had to show boarding docs. I think it really varies day by day!

It definitely varies day by day, security officer by security officer. We carry our wine on board in a special rolling protective case. After it went through the x-ray machine, the officer said: "Wine!", and directed us to the payment table. Now, could we have started toward the table and then juked, jived and head-faked our way back in to the check-in line without walking the 30 feet to the table? I suppose. But I never would.

Recently boarded from Port Everglades. Security is NOT Princess personnel. They don't really notice or care. There were three adults in our party, each brought 1 bottle. One person had a bag with all of them. We were in separate security lines (as directed by security staff) and the person holding all 3 bottles was never stopped or questioned.

I'd caution folks reading the above.....like the poster says, "Your mileage may vary.....". In my experience, you will most likely pay $15 for each bottle of wine you bring over your one "free" one. There are lots of exceptions, but best to be prepared......

I'd caution folks reading the above.....like the poster says, "Your mileage may vary.....". In my experience, you will most likely pay $15 for each bottle of wine you bring over your one "free" one. There are lots of exceptions, but best to be prepared......

Sure, be prepared to pay.

But I saw everyone stream out of security and blow right past the wine check table that was way off to the side. And security is not Princess employees so long as you aren't carrying an illegal item they aren't going to stop you. That's not to say everyone walking past had more wine than their allotment, or any wine at all even. I'm just saying they won't actively look and stop you.

I mean we were on the ship and my SIL said "Was someone supposed to check this?". That ship had sailed, pun intended.

Sure, be prepared to pay.

But I saw everyone stream out of security and blow right past the wine check table that was way off to the side. And security is not Princess employees so long as you aren't carrying an illegal item they aren't going to stop you. That's not to say everyone walking past had more wine than their allotment, or any wine at all even. I'm just saying they won't actively look and stop you.

I mean we were on the ship and my SIL said "Was someone supposed to check this?". That ship had sailed, pun intended.

When we checked-in in FLL, the table was maybe 15 feet from where we walked in through security and we walked right over to them. I am 99% sure that they were Princess employees though. Very nice!

• 3 weeks later...
When we checked-in in FLL, the table was maybe 15 feet from where we walked in through security and we walked right over to them. I am 99% sure that they were Princess employees though. Very nice!

You are correct. Security personnel are not Princess emoloyees, but the people at the wine check table are Princess employees from the ship being boarded.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
Does every bottle of wine carried on board have to be stamped or just bottles over the allowed allotment? Thanks.

Just those exceeding the 1 fee free bottle will be marked (have heard with a stamp or sticker) after paying the fee. The fee free bottle is not marked & if brought to a dining room will have the $15 corkage fee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

No. The 1 X 750ml bottle per person alotment does not get "stamped." FYI, the stamp is a little sticker with the Princess logo.

So, whatever bottles that do not have the sticker can be consumed at your convenience in your cabin. It may also be taken to one of the restaurants or dining rooms for you to enjoy with your meal. At that time you will be charged $15 for corkage.

Bottles that have the little sticker can be consumed in your cabin or with your meal in one of the restaurants/dining room.

On our last cruise, my wife and I took four bottles of wine. At the desk right after the security scan we signed a chit for $30 for the corkage for the excess over the alotment. We were then asked on which bottles we wanted to have the two stickers attached. We knew which two bottles we wanted to enjoy in our cabin--a Chardonnay to sip on our balcony during departure and a Cabernet Sauvignon to enjoy with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. So, we had the stickers applied to the other two. We took one of the stickered bottles to Crown Grill, and we took the other one to Sabbatini's.

I thought it worked out so well for us that I plan to take more bottles on our next cruise.

I thought it worked out so well for us that I plan to take more bottles on our next cruise.

I agree, Princess' bring-on-board wine policy is one of the best. We rarely take any wine from our cabin to anywhere else, although we have taken a glass from the cabin to enjoy with some brief pre or apres dinner entertainment. :cool:

So, whatever bottles that do not have the sticker can be consumed at your convenience in your cabin. It may also be taken to one of the restaurants or dining rooms for you to enjoy with your meal. At that time you will be charged $15 for corkage.

Not if you only bring it to the DR a glass as a time. It's your choice.