Help!! What if one person in a stateroom cancels at the last minute??

We are leaving on our Freedon of the Seas cruise on May 31st. Our teenage daughter is bringing a friend. The friend has gotten into some trouble with her parents this week and they have said she may not be allowed to go now. We don't care about the money but are just wondering if we will be allowed to keep our rooms we already have booked. We don't want to change rooms!!

You will be able to keep your rooms. You won't get any money back on the cruise if the one person doesn't show up at the pier. Your daughter would just have her own room. Our grandson couldn't go on a family cruise at the very last minute and we just showed up at the pier and told them he was a no show. No problem.

Your teenager is probably too young to be listed as alone in a cabin so you might have to switch one of the adults to her cabin at check in and then switch back once on the ship i.e. get a second room key for the adults cabin.

How many people were booked in the room that the potential no show was in.

Cancellation fees are different for the 3'rd and 4'th guest than they are for the two primary occupants. Someone posted a while back that they were able to get a full refund on the 3/4 guest up to 15 days prior to sailing.

Your teenager is probably too young to be listed as alone in a cabin so you might have to switch one of the adults to her cabin at check in and then switch back once on the ship i.e. get a second room key for the adults cabin.

I would doubt that the friend that might now be unable to go was an adult, so it really doesn´t matter if there´s one or two Teenagers in the cabin.

Kids are allowed to be in a room alone as long as they are "near" the adults, so that is probably a non-issue.

You will get a refund on the port taxes portion of the fare, but there is no other refund or problem associated with a no-show.

Definitely confirm if she can/can't go and offer it up to someone else if you want -- friend, family member, etc.

Do the parents of this child realize that you have already paid for their daughter to go on the cruise and that it's non-refundable at this point?

I am not saying that they should let the teen go on the cruise. In fact, I respect their choice of punishment. However, if I were the parents, I'd make the daughter pay you back as part of her punishment. You may not want the teen going with you on vacation, anyway. :rolleyes:

Kids are allowed to be in a room alone as long as they are "near" the adults, so that is probably a non-issue.

You will get a refund on the port taxes portion of the fare, but there is no other refund or problem associated with a no-show.

Definitely confirm if she can/can't go and offer it up to someone else if you want -- friend, family member, etc.

Must be directly beside or directly across the hall from.

Our grandson canceled at the last minute on a Bermuda cruise on NCL and I did NOT get the port charge refunded. I had no refund of any kind. I asked about it and AAA TA said I would not get the port charge back. One of the few times I used a TA to book a cruise and she really was pretty much useless.

Our grandson canceled at the last minute on a Bermuda cruise on NCL and I did NOT get the port charge refunded. I had no refund of any kind. I asked about it and AAA TA said I would not get the port charge back. One of the few times I used a TA to book a cruise and she really was pretty much useless.

NCL's policies may be different than Royals's. Royal does refund the taxes, fees and port charges for last minute cancellations.

I'm thinking a critical issue here is who paid for the daughter's friend?

If the parents of the daughter paid the fare, then it's their bill but they could then bring along a replacement of their choice. Or, they could leave the daughter in her private room.

If the parents of the friend paid the fare, then it's their bill and they could insist that a substitute pay them for their fare.

I think I read here that there was a big issue over port taxes needing to be refundable (can't remember if it was a class action lawsuit, or a government-initiated situation, or something to do with travel agents and their commissions....).

Something about how because it was a tax that was charged per person by each individual port authority, it could only actually be levied if the person was actually on the ship at the time the vessel pulled into the port, so it was fraudulent on the part of the cruise line to collect it from the passenger (or rather, the missing passenger) if they didn't end up actually paying it out to the port officials.