3:00 flight out of SJU- any ideas for what to do beforehand?

rjm11

We have a 3:00 pm flight out of SJU after our cruise, but don't want to sit at the airport all day. Any suggestions for something to do that might include an airport drop off? Any tour vendors who specialize in this kind of thing? Or close by places that will store luggage? We are a family of four, (two kids) cruising on NCL in November. Thanks!

Take a taxi from the port (if at the Pan American pier) to Barrachina's they will store your luggage and then you'll have the rest of your time to wonder around Old San Juan or take the free trolly to the forts...this is so easy to do on your own...no need to pay for a tour...then taxi to SJU.

Take a taxi from the port (if at the Pan American pier) to Barrachina's they will store your luggage and then you'll have the rest of your time to wonder around Old San Juan or take the free trolly to the forts...this is so easy to do on your own...no need to pay for a tour...then taxi to SJU.

That is our plan for a 3:35 PM flight.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this info. We also have a 3pm flight out and I was wondering if we'd be able to walk around instead of sitting in the airport.

What Ashland described is exactly what we did a few years back. Luggage storage at Barrachina's was a breeze, we had a few pina coladas and lunch, and then wandered Old San Juan for a couple of hours. When we were ready to depart for the airport, it was easy to get a cab nearby.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you walk from the cruise port to Barrachinas or do you need to take a taxi? How far is Barrachina's to Old San Juan?

You can walk IF you are docking at the Old San Juan port (like Carnival). If you are at the Pan Am port, you have to take a cab as that port is in a different part of the bay.

Barrachinas sound like the perfect answer for us too, 4:00 PM flight. I am curious though, with everyone taking their luggage there and having drinks/lunch, how big is this place? Do they ever run out of room for luggage? How early off the ship do I need to get there?

We have most of the day in San Juan. Has anyone taken the tour from Royal Caribbean that does old and new San Juan and then drops you off at the airport. What time do you get to the airport and any suggestions on lunch near the airport. I know about dropping your luggage at Barrachina's and doing it on your own. Just looking for another perspective taking the cruise ship tour as one of our group isn't comfortable dropping luggage off.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise I am looking to book says it arrives in port at 6 am - wondering on what a safe time is to book a flight out? Not sure of distance to the port from airport. Been about 15 years since I've cruised out of PR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cruise I am looking to book says it arrives in port at 6 am - wondering on what a safe time is to book a flight out? Not sure of distance to the port from airport. Been about 15 years since I've cruised out of PR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Even when arriving at 6:00am more than likely you won't be getting off at the earliest 7:00-7:30am....We had a 10:30am flight (changed several times by AA) I was concerned but luckily we were in the first group off and at our departure "gate" just before 9:00am.

Originally booked a 1:10 pm flight to Kansas City arriving 7:10 pm....

Just received a email departing San Juan at 3:57pm flight, going through Chicago now,

arriving KCI at 9:47pm

I've tried the Old San Juan 2 times, Never again...

On Your Own would be Better Option

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this info. We also have a 3pm flight out and I was wondering if we'd be able to walk around instead of sitting in the airport.

Hi Amy, we're on the same ship:) We have a 4p flight out of San Juan so I began looking for options myself. Have you found anything else? I JUST began my search for things to do on the day we disembark and the best options for all day Friday and part of Saturday (pre-cruise). I know El Yunque Rainforest, Segways and fort tours are on the agenda - just need to coordinate the timing of each small group tours:) LOL...and a stop at Marshall's (close to our hotel:)

Thanks,

Nancy

Edited by Grand & Nana

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Amy, we're on the same ship:) We have a 4p flight out of San Juan so I began looking for options myself. Have you found anything else? I JUST began my search for things to do on the day we disembark and the best options for all day Friday and part of Saturday (pre-cruise). I know El Yunque Rainforest, Segways and fort tours are on the agenda - just need to coordinate the timing of each small group tours:) LOL...and a stop at Marshall's (close to our hotel:)

Thanks,

Nancy

I have just started looking. Trying to decide between a tour post cruise or just take our time and be last off the ship that morning.

Thanks,

Nancy

If such things interest you and you have the time with El Yunque, there is a big outlet mall at Rio Grande, where the toll road ends on the way to El Yunque...

• 2 weeks later...
What Ashland described is exactly what we did a few years back. Luggage storage at Barrachina's was a breeze, we had a few pina coladas and lunch, and then wandered Old San Juan for a couple of hours. When we were ready to depart for the airport, it was easy to get a cab nearby.

Making note of this for next spring!

I'm surprised to hear no one has mentioned renting a car....

We too had a flight change and are now departing at 3:30.

I thought we would cab it to the airport to pick up a car ( then I will be familiar with the airport) and tour the city. We have already visited the forts and done the Segway tour ( which was awesome btw) .

Am I missing something on the car rental? Pkease share!

I thought we would cab it to the airport to pick up a car ( then I will be familiar with the airport) and tour the city. We have already visited the forts and done the Segway tour ( which was awesome btw) .

I believe the focal point for most (first timers) is Old San Juan - where you won't need a car. I considered a rental car for the outskirts of town (e.g., the rainforest), however; when reading the opinions of others, I decided it was better to go with a private tour.

Nancy

Yes, Nancy . We too were considering a tour. May I ask what you booked? Or who you booked with? That might actually be easier.

Please keep in mind, we fly into SJ on a Thursday afternoon and our ship departs @ 8:30p on Saturday.

I'm currently working out the logistics - Natural Wonders and PR Tour Desk (pre-cruise). Bio Tour / Rainforest (off the beaten path) & Sunset Culinary Walking Tour, followed by a Segway Tour the day we embark.

On the day we disembark, we'll roll our bags off the ship, then take a taxi to Barrachina where we'll store our luggage (free). We'll tour the area, then enjoy our 12:45p lunch reservation before we retrieve our luggage...then head to the airport for our 4p flight.

I'm trying to make the most of our time in Old San Juan. I treat each visit to a new port as if it may be the last :)

Nancy

BTW, I read driving in San Juan was easy - so if big city driving doesn't stress you out, you may enjoy it. Personally, I think your window is too short to go through the hassle of renting a car. See what Viator dot com has to offer - it may prove to be less stressful:)

Nancy

Edited by Grand & Nana

We have 4:30 flight today out. But seeing as it is below zero at home and 82* and sunny in San Juan - we just opted for the beach! (Saw forts before cruise). We just took cab to a hotel by the airport and on the beach and checked our bags with the bellman. This is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just started looking. Trying to decide between a tour post cruise or just take our time and be last off the ship that morning.

Wondered if you knew what time you have to be out of your room by and off ship by if we "take our time" like you were saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums