Alaska Minimalism

TheCalicoCat

Maybe this is a better board.

Caveat: I am not opposed to checking my suitcase(s). I am not trying to cram everything into a carry-on.

I know "what to pack" - layers...

I'm trying to figure out how to minimalize it.

My son & I will be on a 14-night cruise...

For those of who are minimal packers, do you "pick 1 sweatshirt" and stick with it?

I typically do something like "3 bottoms, 5 underlayers, 2 overlayers". So for Alaska, that's probably 3 different black pants (different shapes, fabric weights - I just rarely wear and never travel with jeans) 4 long sleeve tees (maybe one is merino, depending on forecast and my actual trip plans) and 1 is short sleeve. 2 sweaters or fleece jackets (I don't like cotton sweatshirts on me but this is the category where that would go).

2 pairs shoes, 1 coat (probably a fleece/waterproof combo of 2 pieces that I have at home - can be worn fleece, waterproof, or both) 2 scarves, hat & gloves.....

I pick a color profile and stick to it. Mostly black, then 1 or possibly 2 accent colors (red and turquoise are what I wear most often). Earrings & scarves for color & variety.

Attached is the capsule wardrobe for my December 2014 European river cruise - we were in Europe for about 2.5 weeks. I didn't do as great a job limiting my colors but the weights of the fabrics were perfect.

River Cruise capsule.pdf

For those of who are minimal packers, do you "pick 1 sweatshirt" and stick with it?

Short answer : Yes.

Long answer: I pack similarly to Hoyaheel who gave some great advice. On my trip to Alaska (7 nights) last summer, I packed 4 short sleeves shirts, 3 long sleeved shirts, 1 black basic cardigan, one hoodie, a fleece, rain jacket, and 3 pants (one yoga style to relax/nap in, one pair of jeans, and one pair of outdoor pants because I spent some time hiking and birdwatching). I run cold, so the average person could probably drop the cardigan or hoodie but I definitely needed both.

I'd pack the same for a 14 day trip and just send out some laundry at the halfway point.

My Europe trip was definitely colder than our AK cruise/land trip (we visited family outside Fairbanks before embarking) so the layers you choose could vary. We had super warm weather in AK - very odd for mid-September but we enjoyed it! Just make sure you check your forecast a couple days before you finalize your packing to make sure you have the right stuff.

I never worry about laundry on a vacation - doesn't bother me to do stuff in my sink at night or do laundry as needed. That AK trip we did laundry at my brother's house and then did a load mid-cruise (we were on Pacific Princess that has self-laundry machines).

I like options but I HATE big suitcases. So I tailor my packing around my personal priorities.

One thing I'll suggest is to ditch the fleece in favor of the new down/down alternative lightweight jackets if you are also packing one or more sweatshirts due to the bulkiness of all of those pieces. Fleece just takes up space in a bag because of it's inherent bulk. D/DA jackets pack down small. You don't need the big down parka - look at things like the Patagonia Down Sweater or NanoPuff Jacket, The North Face ThermoBall jackets, etc. Or, you may even be able to get away with a D/DA vest - layer with a long sleeve on a cooler day with your shell jacket.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I have a 3 in 1 North Face thermoball/raincoat - are you guys in the mindset that this will be enough & that I don't need a sweatshirt?

(I have a North Face fleece too...)

This is what I was thinking: bra/undershirt/sweatshirt/North Face thermoball - rain coat - or both together...

I take fleece, and I take two wool sweaters, not sweatshirts.

I wore a big down jacket every day, with turtleneck and sweater.

I wore my bulkiest things (walking boots, jackets) on the plane.

I packed sweaters and shirts in compression bags (the kind you sit on to seal).

Now you're making me want to sail AK again!

I don't know about you, but after I've worn something 2 times, it looks pretty "well-worn"...so I'd bring more than 1 of whatever....unless you're on a ship with a laundry. I'm just not a fan of wearing stuff more than twice without washing them.....

Thanks for all of the comments.

I have a 3 in 1 North Face thermoball/raincoat - are you guys in the mindset that this will be enough & that I don't need a sweatshirt?

This is what I was thinking: bra/undershirt/sweatshirt/North Face thermoball - rain coat - or both together...

If you're going to Alaska in July, I'm not sure you absolutely need a sweatshirt. But then, I'm not big on sweatshirts. If anything, I would take a lighter-weight fleece or a light-weight merino wool sweater (I love sweaters).

It's entirely possible you won't need your heaviest coat in Alaska in July. Depends on specific weather that week and the activities you have planned. Which is why it's very hard to plan too far in advance. It also depends on what your base temp comfort level is. I wouldn't need heavy wool, down or cashmere unless the temps are in the low 40s for an extended time. We had temps in the 70s in Ketchikan (again, 2nd week of Sept was our trip a few years back!) So I was glad I had lighter clothing with me. On the other hand, we did have some sleet in Skagway, so my fleece & goretex coat combo, with a hat & scarf were welcome. Multiple light layers vs one very heavy bulky item. Easier to pack and easier to adapt to the changing weather.

I had goretex pants ($10 LLBean outlet find - love) and the only time I wore them was on laundry day:D But they didn't take up much space, and had the weather been wetter, would have been very welcome during some of the hikes we were doing....

If you already have a Thermoball jacket with the added shell jacket, I would be of the opinion that you don't have to take a fleece jacket also.

I'm not a sweatshirt person, either. If I desire something besides the D/DA and shell, I'll take a sweater.

I run warm, so I don't need much to keep me warm if it's cold outside. My Down Sweater Jacket is all that I wear most of my mountain winter season. I have other jackets and parkas, but it is definitely my go-to in the Fall and Winter.

My hotel management team gave all Managers a logo'd fleece jacket this year for Christmas; I guess I'll have to figure out how to work that into my wardrobe - for me, fleece is too constricting for anything than a long-sleeve T under it and then I have to tug and pull the T to keep it from bunching up in the fleece (especially the arms when putting/taking it off)...

for me, fleece is too constricting for anything than a long-sleeve T under it and then I have to tug and pull the T to keep it from bunching up in the fleece (especially the arms when putting/taking it off)...

So funny you say that because the reason I dislike light down/down sweaters is I find them lumpy & constricting - my fleece "gives" but the down options I've tried on (that are designed NOT to be outer layers) don't seem to. It really does come down to personal preference!

I'm also a strong proponent of making what you already own work. Sure, if you have money and want to shop, why not, but there are VERY few cases where you *must* buy new items just to go on a vacation :D

So funny you say that because the reason I dislike light down/down sweaters is I find them lumpy & constricting - my fleece "gives" but the down options I've tried on (that are designed NOT to be outer layers) don't seem to. It really does come down to personal preference!

I'm also a strong proponent of making what you already own work. Sure, if you have money and want to shop, why not, but there are VERY few cases where you *must* buy new items just to go on a vacation :D

Ah, but the North Face Thermoball and the Patagonia Down Sweater ARE meant as outerwear. They really aren't "sweaters" in the sense of like a pullover or half-zip. The next time you have to go shopping for light outerwear, give them a try. I bought my Down Sweater back in 2011 to take to Kenya (it's chilly in the AM in that hot air balloon!). It's still going strong (except for a hole I ripped in it a month ago -now covered with hot pink duct tape).

Slidergirl if we ever ran into each other we'd probably be wearing the same things! My Pategonia Down Sweater is my winter coat (I live in CO) in all but the coldest, snowiest days [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah, but the North Face Thermoball and the Patagonia Down Sweater ARE meant as outerwear. They really aren't "sweaters" in the sense of like a pullover or half-zip. The next time you have to go shopping for light outerwear, give them a try.

During an REI visit last year I tried on a bunch of things, including down "sweaters" (cannot remember exactly what I tried). Didn't like, or therefore buy, anything. I do have an old down coat - outerwear - but I don't typically travel with it as it's not water resistant and I prefer to pack multi-taskers. I just have different preferences, and that's ok :p

I've tried a couple of the down sweaters on but the quilting on them is not flattering for me. (Makes me look like the Michelin tire man....:mad:)

Also, are those waterproof? I always worry about getting down wet.

Fleece generally works well for me. I have a black fleece jacket that has a sort of smooth lining; it doesn't stick to my shirt sleeves, thank goodness.

Also, are those waterproof? I always worry about getting down wet.

Some down coats are specifically water resistant - just have to read the labels:D

For instance, most of the Uniqlo down jackets have a water repelling finish. Patagonia has some down + goretex jackets. Columbia has a few options using their "OutDry" fabric (breathable, waterproof)

As I've mentioned many times - technology is fabulous! So if you want warm AND waterproof, there's no reason not to get that - it's out there!

• 3 weeks later...

We did twelve days in Alaska in 2015, the end of July - mid August and just looked at my photos to see what I wore. The most bundled up I got was doing the early morning zip line at Icy Strait Point. I wore a long sleeve shirt, zip up fleece and unlined rain jacket. For the trip, I brought three long sleeve knit shirts, one zip up fleece with hood, two nicer sweaters (thin) and my jacket. No short sleeves ( I bought a Denali t-shirt but never wore it on the trip). Three pants. Alaska in the summer can be rainy a lot. We never needed gloves, hats or down. We did a land/cruisetour, with land on the front end. I did laundry before we got on the ship and everything lasted just fine.

Alaska cruise season is summer (and late spring, early fall) so I doubt you'll have really freezing cold temps, but it can definitely be chilly. It can also be very warm, it can be rainy, and it can vary a lot from day to day so you need versatility.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of sweatshirts and hoodies; they are bulky to pack, and while they're fine for sightseeing during the day, they don't really lend themselves to being versatile enough to "dress up" at all, and if they're really bulky, they can be uncomfortable to layer too much.

For warmth on an Alaska cruise, my preference would be to take a lightweight (which can still be warm, depending on what it's made of) cardigan, a fleece vest, and then an all-weather, water-proof jacket. These can all be worn together if need be, worn alone, or worn in a combo of any 2. This is the actual combo I took on an Alaska cruise a few years ago and it worked beautifully.

I'd add a couple short sleeved T's and a couple long sleeved T's, and I'd take a pair of jeans and a pair of travel/outdoor/trekking pants. If you don't like jeans, make it 2 pair of trekking pants. They are lightweight, easy to wash and dry by hand if needed, and you can take a pair of thin base layer bottoms or leggings to layer underneath if you think you might want more warmth. Stick to a basic/neutral color scheme so everything can mix and match. One good pair of comfortable walking shoes. Depending on your planned activities this could be a sneaker, a hiking boot or hiking shoe, a casual low-heeled clog (my fave, unless I'm actually going to be hiking, which I'm usually not, LOL), etc.

For evenings, I'd take a black (or other neutral) skirt in a jersey knit fabric that doesn't wrinkle; one that can casual or dressed up, and a pair of black pants in a similar fabric. A few tops to mix and match with each, and one pair of shoes for evening, and maybe 1 or 2 pieces of statement or blingy jewelry or wraps/scarves to further vary the combos. Your daytime cardigan can also be added to evening outfits if you choose the right style/fabric. This gives you even more variety. Depending on the exact look of your daytime pants/jeans/tops, they might also double as appropriate attire for casual evenings, especially if there are nights you're just having room service, pizza, or going to the buffet. I would imagine on a 14 day cruise there would be a few nights like that!

Wear something comfy to travel back and forth in, and that can double as lounge wear when you're just relaxing in your cabin.

All together, this would be roughly:

5 bottoms (2 for daytime/sightseeing/activities, 2 for evenings, 1 lounging/travel)

8 tops (4 daytime, 4 evening)

2 pair of shoes (1 daytime/walking 1 evening)

a sweater, a fleece and a jacket

a few small accessories

whatever undergarments, socks and sleepwear you need, and maybe a swimsuit for the hot tub

Given that you'll wear some of it on the plane, you should be able to fit this all into a carry-on sized suitcase. Between that and your personal item that you're also allowed to carry-on, there should be enough room to also include your toiletries and other misc. items. Obviously, I'd plan on utilizing laundry services.

[quote=

the 3 in 1 coat will be fine. That's what I took to Alaska. It's summer you only need one or the other of the coats on any given day. The only day you will need the whole system is when you go through the glaciers when it will be cold.