Why no "Read first unread post" button on some threads?

I've tried to find the help forum but keep missing it somehow so am asking this here.

Some message threads have a "Read first unread post" (or something similar) at the top left of the first message and other threads don't. Doesn't seem to matter whether there are new messages on the thread or not, although maybe I'm just missing noticing that somehow. I've looked everyplace I could think among the buttons at the start of threads but haven't been able to find the answer.

Anyway, thought I'd ask here and see what the answer is.

Thanks for any answers.

Tom

You can go to USER CP top left & change your settings to show posts from newest first or oldest first

when you log in it should show news posts when you click on a thread with the icon showing a new message

or if you are subscribed to to a thread then click on user cp & any thread you are subscribed to with new post will show in the list

Edited by LHT28

I've tried to find the help forum but keep missing it somehow so am asking this here.

Some message threads have a "Read first unread post" (or something similar) at the top left of the first message and other threads don't. Doesn't seem to matter whether there are new messages on the thread or not, although maybe I'm just missing noticing that somehow. I've looked everyplace I could think among the buttons at the start of threads but haven't been able to find the answer.

Anyway, thought I'd ask here and see what the answer is.

Thanks for any answers.

Tom

The "Read first unread" message only shows when you have looked at that thread before and there has been a post since then.

You can go to USER CP top left & change your settings to show posts from newest first or oldest first

when you log in it should show news posts when you click on a thread with the icon showing a new message

or if you are subscribed to to a thread then click on user cp & any thread you are subscribed to with new post will show in the list

What I was talking about was the "View First Unread" button as shown in the attached JPG.

But thanks anyway for the info.

Tom

1159192018_ViewFirstUnreadicon.jpg.f8992a5ee0223f85a9ae1a55a46dc623.jpg

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

What I was talking about was the "View First Unread" button as shown in the attached JPG.

Tom

I've been wondering the same thing. On the roll call thread for an upcoming cruise sometimes the "View First Unread" message shows up and other times it doesn't, even though there are new posts on that thread.:confused:

I've been wondering the same thing. On the roll call thread for an upcoming cruise sometimes the "View First Unread" message shows up and other times it doesn't, even though there are new posts on that thread.:confused:

I'm glad to see that someone else has seen that occur also. I was beginning to think that I had imagined it all. I was sure it was happening, though, because I'd get an email telling me that there was a new message but there was no icon there. Now we just have to hope that someone reading this thread has the answer as to "why"!

Thanks for restoring, at least somewhat, my sanity !:D

Tom

Tom

To tell the truth I never look there :o

I just click on the little icon that is highlighted when there are new posts in the thread I am interested in

I subscribe to the specific section like "ask a cruise question" or a specific cruise line forum

I do not need to read all the new posts just those of interest

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

You can also click on the little box with a check mark at the front of the thread title on the main page. That will take you to the first unread post.

If you are addressing the original question I posted, you will see that I'm questioning why that box does not always appear when there are new messages not asking how to find new replies.

Tom

The "Read first unread" message only shows when you have looked at that thread before and there has been a post since then.

Not necessarily true.. This is the first time I've looked at this thread and Read First Unread button is showing.

If you are addressing the original question I posted, you will see that I'm questioning why that box does not always appear when there are new messages not asking how to find new replies.

Tom

Why not contact Admin they are the ones that will have the correct answer

see the link at the bottom of the page CONTACT US

Why not contact Admin they are the ones that will have the correct answer

see the link at the bottom of the page CONTACT US

Yes, I could have done that but if I did it that way, then I'd be the only one who learned something. Now, admittedly, I could have been the only one on the board that didn't know the reason behind what appears to me to be a "glitch" but since this is the "ask a question" place I thought it best to do it here. And, yes, this is actually the ask a cruise question" forum but I couldn't seem to find the forum for asking forum questions. Guess my mind was off on a cruise somewhere. :confused:

Tom

Not necessarily true.. This is the first time I've looked at this thread and Read First Unread button is showing.

OK, I played with the threads some more. If the thread is bolded, the "read first" button shows, if not bolded, then it doesn't show.

That's odd. Wonder what the bolding of the thread name means?

It means that there is a new post to the thread since the last time you visited Cruise Critic, signed in, or refreshed the forum.

Every time you log out, or close out the window, all the threads that are still in bold revert to unbolded, as if you had read them to that point.

That's odd. Wonder what the bolding of the thread name means?

Tom

It means that there is a new post to the thread since the last time you visited Cruise Critic, signed in, or refreshed the forum.

Every time you log out, or close out the window, all the threads that are still in bold revert to unbolded, as if you had read them to that point.

Doesn't work that way for me.

How does it work for you?

Seems pretty random. I've been in and out of this forum several times testing and everything stays bold up to 1245 pm today, so leaving the site doesn't un-bold anything.

Then I went to a forum which I haven't been on in probably a month, if not more which should then mean I would have pages of bold threads... Nope - only bold threads showing are from after noon today.

This bold or not bold discussion piqued my interest so I just checked on several forums many of which I've never been on before, and no thread older than 4 hours is in bold. I even watched one thread that the last bold thread was at 12:13 pm - my time was 4:10 pm. I checked back at 4:15 pm and that thread was no longer bold. So that may be the answer - 4 hours. :)

Yeah, yeah - I know... Too much time on my hands.

Edited by toberman

This bold or not bold discussion piqued my interest so I just checked on several forums many of which I've never been on before, and no thread older than 4 hours is in bold. I even watched one thread that the last bold thread was at 12:13 pm - my time was 4:10 pm. I checked back at 4:15 pm and that thread was no longer bold. So that may be the answer - 4 hours. :)

Yeah, yeah - I know... Too much time on my hands.

Or it could just be when you refreshed the page posts that were bold before that are now marked as read so not bold on your next visit

:D

Or it could just be when you refreshed the page posts that were bold before that are now marked as read so not bold on your next visit

:D

Not exactly... when I refresh the page it still gives me bold entries up to 4 hours ago.

But then again... why does anyone really care??

Something like the Doug & Rob scenario. :D:D Your problem, not mine! :)

Not exactly... when I refresh the page it still gives me bold entries up to 4 hours ago.

But then again... why does anyone really care??

Something like the Doug & Rob scenario. :D:D Your problem, not mine! :)

Slow day I guess

I do not really care but no need to be rude about it :rolleyes:

Just do not read the forum

It's a puzzlement.

How do the bold/unbold times compare to your "Last visited" time?

Whenever I close out of CC, I sign out first. Then, when I return, everything new since the last time I visited is in bold. Never fails.