Alaska itinerary ???????????

midwestchick

If you were going to do just one cruise to Alaska, which route would you choose? One that does Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier.

Thinking about an Alaskan cruise this summer and I'm trying to decide which would be the best option. Any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

When we did Alaska on the Solstice in Sept 2015, it was meant to be a one time thing. We live in Canada and so many people asked us why we'd want to do a cruise with cold weather when that's what we get 7months of the year at home. Well, after that cruise we only want to go back. Alaska is such a great destination with so many wonderful ports and the most amazing unspoiled scenery...I really wish you well in your goal to just go once but I have a feeling you'll end up wanting to go back ;)

Our cruise did Tracy Arm which was gorgeous but now we want to do Hubbard so I'm sure we'll be back. Very curious to see what others suggest and if anyone else feels like I do that it's not a destination you can be satisfied doing just once. Good luck and enjoy, whichever itinerary you decide on!!

When we did Alaska on the Solstice in Sept 2015, it was meant to be a one time thing. We live in Canada and so many people asked us why we'd want to do a cruise with cold weather when that's what we get 7months of the year at home. Well, after that cruise we only want to go back. Alaska is such a great destination with so many wonderful ports and the most amazing unspoiled scenery...I really wish you well in your goal to just go once but I have a feeling you'll end up wanting to go back ;)

Our cruise did Tracy Arm which was gorgeous but now we want to do Hubbard so I'm sure we'll be back. Very curious to see what others suggest and if anyone else feels like I do that it's not a destination you can be satisfied doing just once. Good luck and enjoy, whichever itinerary you decide on!!

I feel the same way, we did Solstice now want to do Hubbard as it is supposed to be spectacular. Also, when doing Solstice you spend two days in the Pacific instead of the inner passage.

Did a 1-way on the Millennium 2 years ago from Vancouver to Seward (with Hubbard Glacier) and HIGHLY recommend that 1-way itinerary!!!

We had a fabulous pre-cruise stay in Vancouver, the scenery got better and better as we headed north, Hubbard glacier was spectacular, and that last day in Seward where we booked a 13-hour ship's excursion ending at the airport was fully worth the long red-eye flight home and the marginally higher expense of the 2 1-way airline tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I certainly could be wrong but I suspect that "midwestchick" is just starting her research on an Alaska cruise. As someone who lives in Alaska I would suggest that she go to the Alaska Cruise Critic forum (located under Ports of Call). At the top of that forum index are three stickies with trip reports sorted by year (one for the 2014 trip reports, and others for 2015 and 2016). Skim all of those reports -- even the reports on cruise lines you aren't considering. These trip reports, with their photos, will give anyone researching an Alaska cruise some idea of what to expect in terms of scenery, weather, excursions and so forth. Looking at what folks are wearing in the photos will even provide insight into what to pack.

But just a comment on Hubbard Glacier -- it is one of the few tidewater glaciers which is actually advancing. So many of those Glacier Bay glaciers are in retreat.

I certainly could be wrong but I suspect that "midwestchick" is just starting her research on an Alaska cruise. As someone who lives in Alaska I would suggest that she go to the Alaska Cruise Critic forum (located under Ports of Call). At the top of that forum index are three stickies with trip reports sorted by year (one for the 2014 trip reports, and others for 2015 and 2016). Skim all of those reports -- even the reports on cruise lines you aren't considering. These trip reports, with their photos, will give anyone researching an Alaska cruise some idea of what to expect in terms of scenery, weather, excursions and so forth. Looking at what folks are wearing in the photos will even provide insight into what to pack.

But just a comment on Hubbard Glacier -- it is one of the few tidewater glaciers which is actually advancing. So many of those Glacier Bay glaciers are in retreat.

Actually I've done some research a couple of times then DH changed his mind. Now he's in agreement again so I'm trying to hurry and book while he's ripe...lol.

I'll go to the ports section also. I always read them about the ports we're visiting. Thanks.

I have to throw my vote behind any cruise that does the full inside passage. The Solstice advertises the inside passage but it only hits part of it. It is too tall to do the full run so you have to go outside of Vancouver island and you just get a bit of the inside passage at the top end. Look for the Infinity which does Vancouver return or the Millenium which does Seward-Vancouver or Vancouver-Seward.

The inside passage is breathtaking itself!

I have to throw my vote behind any cruise that does the full inside passage. The Solstice advertises the inside passage but it only hits part of it. It is too tall to do the full run so you have to go outside of Vancouver island and you just get a bit of the inside passage at the top end. Look for the Infinity which does Vancouver return or the Millenium which does Seward-Vancouver or Vancouver-Seward.

Thank you! The inside passage is something that's been a priority when shopping for an Alaska cruise. That now takes the May cruise off the table.

I just looked at that on on Millie...

We have been to Alaska x 2 on Solstice visiting Tracy Arm as part of the itinerary, both times we have got fairly close. Both trips were in September and truly memorable for wildlife & scenery & weather.

This year we are excited to go back but we have chosen May & to see Hubbard glacier however I don't think I would ever get bored of Alaska no matter what intinerary I took or ship I was on 😁

You will probably have a hard time limiting yourself to one trip to Alaska. I've been three times and would happily go again.

Re weather, May will be the driest month. Also, still snow on the mountaintops for scenery. Probably more ice in the approach to Hubbard, so that will be iffy. Also the approach to Tracey Arm.

September will have no snow on most mountaintops. Good time to get very close to Hubbard and Tracey Arm. Also, good time for bargains when shopping because it is the end of the season.

I don't think any of the S class can do the full inside passage because they can't navigate the narrows of Johnstone Strait. The problem with doing it on the way up from Vancouver is that it will be at night. Best to do it on the way back. Have done it once on the Mercury.

We have been to Alaska x 2 on Solstice visiting Tracy Arm as part of the itinerary, both times we have got fairly close. Both trips were in September and truly memorable for wildlife & scenery & weather.

This year we are excited to go back but we have chosen May & to see Hubbard glacier however I don't think I would ever get bored of Alaska no matter what intinerary I took or ship I was on 😁

We got real close in last week of August and even closer when we got on the catamaran...

You just can't go wrong with Alaska. Will be my third trip this Sept. The scenery is so amazing... but I agree with the inside passage if you can do that. The glaciers are beautiful and even though we've been lucky the first two times, I do read that sometimes the ship isn't able to navigate those areas... wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket!

Another small plus to consider if you are thinking of doing the inside passage on the Millie is that the MDR is at the back of the boat with large, two-story windows to admire the view. We went in late May and had the late seating but still had plenty of daylight to enjoy the unbelievable scenery. FWIW, my husband must have mentioned every night at dinner on our last cruise on the Equinox that he liked the MDR on the Millie better because of the view and the less-modern feel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another small plus to consider if you are thinking of doing the inside passage on the Millie is that the MDR is at the back of the boat with large, two-story windows to admire the view. We went in late May and had the late seating but still had plenty of daylight to enjoy the unbelievable scenery. FWIW, my husband must have mentioned every night at dinner on our last cruise on the Equinox that he liked the MDR on the Millie better because of the view and the less-modern feel.

Yes, those huge back windows in the MDR on the M class ships can provide some amazing sights. We were in Icy Strait Point and a bunch of orcas decided to put on a show for us as we sat down for dinner. Luckily our table was back there!

Vancouver to Seward then a few days with Alaska Rail.

Please tell me more about the Alaska Rail. I hope to book early this week and I know there's limited availability. I think we'll do early June. We're booked for the Med in Sept.

Thanks for all the other input. Nice to know about MDR on the Millie. We've never sailed on that ship.

At the risk of offending some on the X section of the forums... you may want to take a look at Princess too. I really enjoy sailing Celebrity (as shown by my recent sailing history), but the prices for the Alaska 2017 season (at least for the sailings I looked at) were much more expensive on X (~25-33% price premium). I also liked the idea of Glacier Bay versus Tracy Arm Fjord or Hubbard (we're going earlier in the season, and ice is a higher risk of affecting the itinerary at TAF or Hubbard vs GB).

Also as was mentioned already, a multi-city (Home-YVR; ANC-Home) or two 1-way tickets is often not much more expensive than r/t Seattle. Two 1-way tickets can make it easier to fly 2 different airlines if you're finding that flights for Airport #1 are much cheaper with Airline X, while Airport #2 is much cheaper on Airline Y. The benefit of the 1-way cruise is that you get more time sailing in Alaska, and you skip the need for the brief Vancouver stopover if you're going r/t out of Seattle.

We've done all 3 itineraries. As far as the Alaska experience, and if this is a one time trip, I'd do the Millie itinerary. In my experience Hubbard is more spectacular than Tracy Arm.

If you do end up on Solstice, book Tuscan Grill for early evening when you sail from Skagway and the Celebrity excursion at Tracy arm where you disembark the ship on this a smaller boat (sorry don't recall the name).

Alaska is so amazingly beautiful, enjoy!

Yes, those huge back windows in the MDR on the M class ships can provide some amazing sights. We were in Icy Strait Point and a bunch of orcas decided to put on a show for us as we sat down for dinner. Luckily our table was back there!

Doesn't Blu also have the big windows on the Millennium?