Question about Puerto Vallarta

mjwcruising

I have been researching Puerto Vallarta an have read about going to Old Town and also about going to Malecon.

I am wondering if Malecon is in the Old Town area or within walking distance of each other.

I understand we would have to take a taxi or bus to either place but can't figure out where they are in relation to each other.

Thanks for any input,

Mary

Malecon is next/north to old town., divided by Rio Cuale. Check those maps made by JR.

Downtown shows the Malecon,

http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-downtown-map.html

Southside is oldtown.

http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

As you can see you can walk all the way down.

Malecon is next/north to old town., divided by Rio Cuale. Check those maps made by JR.

Downtown shows the Malecon,

http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-downtown-map.html

Southside is oldtown.

http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

As you can see you can walk all the way down.

Thank you Ine.

The Malecon starts at the Hotel Rosita (at the north end of Centro or downtown) and runs about 2/3 of a mile until you get to the pedestrian bridge over the Rio Cujale. Once you cross that bridge you are in the South Side (Romantic Zone, Zona Romantica, Viejo Vallarta, or Old Town) which has many names. But the Malecon actually does continue for a few blocks in the South Side until it ends at Olas Altas (a street). We are partial to the south side since that is where we live in the winter.

If you take a taxi into Centro and want to walk the entire Malecon have your driver drop you at the Hotel Rosita. If you use the bus, when the bus reaches Centro it will make a left turn and then a right so that is parallels the Malecon (a block inland). Once its on the parallel route you can hop off at any point and just walk down to the Malecon.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The Malecon starts at the Hotel Rosita (at the north end of Centro or downtown) and runs about 2/3 of a mile until you get to the pedestrian bridge over the Rio Cujale. Once you cross that bridge you are in the South Side (Romantic Zone, Zona Romantica, Viejo Vallarta, or Old Town) which has many names. But the Malecon actually does continue for a few blocks in the South Side until it ends at Olas Altas (a street). We are partial to the south side since that is where we live in the winter.

If you take a taxi into Centro and want to walk the entire Malecon have your driver drop you at the Hotel Rosita. If you use the bus, when the bus reaches Centro it will make a left turn and then a right so that is parallels the Malecon (a block inland). Once its on the parallel route you can hop off at any point and just walk down to the Malecon.

Hank

Thank you so much Hank. This information really explains the layout and how to plan our outing in Puerto Vallarta. We just want to walk around that day and I like to have everything planned out in advance so we don't waste any time while we are in port figuring things out.

I'm thinking we should have the bus or taxi drop us off at the farthest point and walk our way back through Malecon to the South Side (Old Town). When we are ready to go back to the ship we can grab the bus or taxi.

We are in port from 12 -7.

Does this sound do-able?

If you have any recommendations I would be grateful if you share them with me.

Mary

Sounds very doable. Walking down the Malecon is always fun, but be aware of the Time Share sharks (salesmen). In Centro you might want to stop about half way at the Cheeky Monkey which is on the 2nd floor (entrance on the side street) facing the Ladder sculpture on the Malecon. This place is owned by ex pat (New Yorker) Troy Valens and you can get Corona or Pacifico beer or Margaritas for only $1. He also has a place on the southside right under the Condos Visa del Sol called the Sea Monkey where you can sit right on the beach and again enjoy those dollar drinks. The food is not bad if you want a snack.

Hank

I'm thinking we should have the bus or taxi drop us off at the farthest point and walk our way back through Malecon to the South Side (Old Town). When we are ready to go back to the ship we can grab the bus or taxi.

We are in port from 12 -7.

Does this sound do-able?

If you have any recommendations I would be grateful if you share them with me.

Mary

This is exactly what we do when we exit the ship and it works out perfect for a relaxing stroll through the city. Also definitely stop in at Cheekey monkey for some cheap mixed drinks and $1 coronas and also be sure to check out Lady of Guadalupe Church. They are relatively close by each other.

Also if you get dropped off the furthest away from ship, you would actually be walking North thru old town and finish at hotel rosita (end of the malecon)

Edited by bonnie&clydecruzers

After reviewing what Hlitner and bonnie&clydecruzers wrote and looking at the maps I thinks I had the layout wrong in my mind.

It looks like the cruise terminal is farthest north, then Malecon, then the Southside (Old Town).

If I have this correct I would like to be dropped off the furthest away from ship, and walk North thru old town and finish at Hotel Rosita (end of the Malecon).

They will be four of us so we will probably take a taxi.

Is there a landmark I should asked to be dropped off in Old town?

Will it be easy to get a taxi near Hotel Rosita to return to the ship?

Thank You,

Mary

After reviewing what Hlitner and bonnie&clydecruzers wrote and looking at the maps I thinks I had the layout wrong in my mind.

It looks like the cruise terminal is farthest north, then Malecon, then the Southside (Old Town).

If I have this correct I would like to be dropped off the furthest away from ship, and walk North thru old town and finish at Hotel Rosita (end of the Malecon).

Thank You,

Mary

This is what we do. We ask to be dropped off at the bridge over the Rio Cuale. We'll check out the craft mart on the island in the river and then walk back up the streets or the Malecon towards the Hotel. We usually eat at a restaurant on the beach and across the street from McDonalds. We grab a taxi back to the ship about 2 blocks past the Hotel. They are usually parked and waiting for a fare.

Edited by Rosefloater

Thank You,

Mary

Yes, you have the geography right. They just completed a new municipal pier on the Southside at Los Muertos Beach and that would be a great landmark for a taxi driver. This assumes you want to be near the southern end of the Malecon extension.

Taxis are plentiful. The white Federal taxis, located inside the port, charge per person (in US dollars) and are only allowed to take passengers away from the cruise ship terminal. The yellow City taxis service the rest of Vallarta and the surrounding area. They charge per taxi ride (in Pesos but will take USD’s if you ask) with up to 4 passengers in the taxi.

Taxi rates are regulated on a zone basis. The Cuale River (between Downtown & the Southside) is a taxi “zone” line. Taxi rides that start or stop south of the river will be slightly higher than those that start/stop north of the river.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

If you are taking a taxi, the official fares (some of the drivers will try to rip-off cruise ship passengers) vary by zone. And the zone that includes "Centro" or the North side of the river is cheaper then the zone that includes the South Side. So, if using taxis you can save a few pesos by having your driver drop you North of the River. As to buses, there is only a single fare for all zones. There has been an ongoing battle about the bus fare which had been 6.5 pesos but was recently increased to 7.5 pesos (about 60 cents). It seems like every time they put in the new higher fare somebody gets the federal government to stop the increase.

Hank

Does anyone know what is open on Christmas Day in PV? That is when our cruise arrives. I assume no shops but hopefully some restaurants? We love going to the River Café and don't want to miss out! Thanks

Does anyone know what is open on Christmas Day in PV? That is when our cruise arrives. I assume no shops but hopefully some restaurants? We love going to the River Café and don't want to miss out! Thanks

Interesting restaurant choice. Not sure if they are open for lunch or dinner on Christmas but you can certainly send them an e-mail and ask the question. Their address is

info@rivercafe.com.mx. We are not sure who is open that day since we do not head down to Mexico until after Christmas. But, we would assume that transportation is a bit of a problem in Christmas day with many of the taxis taking the day off and bus service at a minimum.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Mexicans celebrate Christmas on the evening of Dec. 24th. Restaurants that cater to tourists will be open on the 25th, often closed for lunch, open for dinner. Many shops - but not all - will be open on Dec. 25. Indeed expect less taxis and buses during the morninghours, more in the course of the day.

Thanks everyone. We are toying with going New Years, and again, PV would be on New Years Day. Closures on that day?

New Years Day is a National (Statutary) Holiday in Mexico so we have found that some stores and many of the art galleries will close on that day. I seem to recall the flea market stuff around the river are all closed. But quite a few of the more touristy shops are open and many restaurants and most bars will be open as usual. Just a warning. Getting a restaurant reservation for New Years Eve can be difficult, so if you want to go to a decent place you might want to book well ahead. Many restaurants have special menus that night (which mean they limit their menu offerings). Also keep in mind that it can be nearly impossible to find late night taxi transportation which is a big problem for those that stay outside of town (such as the hotel zone) and want to come into town for New Years Eve. Gettting back to your hotel (or condo) after mid-night might mean a very long walk :).

Hank

• 2 months later...
It's about 1 mile. Depending how fast you walk, anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

On one side you will have the Ocean and across the street will be all kinds of stores and restaurants. A really interesting walk because of all the people you will see and the statues on the Malecon and lots of places to sit down. Last winter there were no cars allowed so it is very pedestrian friendly.

Wendy

Perfect. We'll have plenty of time to see it then.

How is it at night?

The Malecon is wonderful at night. It is well lit and there are always lots of families and tourists walking around and the clubs are playing music so it's very lively. Stores and restaurants are open late so there's no shortage of places to visit. There is also a pirate ship that has fireworks most nights close to the Malecon around 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. (I can't remember the exact time). Even more interesting at night than during the day and cooler too.

Wendy

We've always taken a taxi from the port to Hotel Rosita and ventured out from there. Usually only making it El Burro just over the bridge. After reading Hank and Ine (and others) for several years talking about the bus. last week we gave it a go. It's not about the money, the taxi is only about $8, but more about the mini adventure. These are city buses: rough, jerky, hot when not moving, but lots of folks coming and going.

Walk out the terminal and out to the main road and there is a covered bus stop. Wait about 2 seconds and a bus will come by that says "Centro". There were three of us, I gave the driver $2 USD and told him we wanted to go to the flea market (at the river). No problem, grab a seat quick, learned all this from CC. Few blocks from the flea market he gave me a wave and we were off the bus. We walked across the suspension bridge, east a few blocks to Aguacate, down a few blocks to Mariscos Cisneros for a great lunch, then down Basilo Badillo to the beach. Fantastic route! Never been to this part of town but it will be our regular route at least for the next few visits.

Walked by a small hotel roughly across the street from Joe Jacks. Looked to have a very "jungly" interior court yard. Any regulars if you know the name I'd appreciate it.

By the time we got back to Hotel Rosita we were pretty "damp" so grabbed a taxi w/AC. He charged the tourist price of $10 but that's still a bargain.