Ships with Cabins Designed for Solo Cruisers?

Madam Oink

Are there any ships with cabins designed specifically for a solo cruiser? I don't mind tiny cabins, if it eliminates the ridiculous "single supplement". Is there such a thing?

If not, which cruise lines are the most generous for reducing/eliminating the single supplement?

Haven't cruised in 6 years....wondered if anything has changed. :confused:

Thanks in advance....

:pink!

Are there any ships with cabins designed specifically for a solo cruiser? I don't mind tiny cabins, if it eliminates the ridiculous "single supplement". Is there such a thing?

If not, which cruise lines are the most generous for reducing/eliminating the single supplement?

Haven't cruised in 6 years....wondered if anything has changed. :confused:

Thanks in advance....

I don't sail with them, but I know NCL has cabins for solos.

You said you don't care about the size? From the photos I have seen

they look very small......(to me anyway)....like 100 square feet.:eek:

As the PP said, NCL has studio cabins on some of their ships--Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and at least one of the smaller ships (the one that sails Hawaii has, I think, four studios). They're priced for one person, but they're more expensive than the per-person price for double occupancy. For example, I was looking at a cruise on the Epic that would cost $1,092 in a studio and if I were to book a regular inside cabin and pay the 200%, it would be about $1,400. So, there's definitely a savings , but the supplement seems to be built in. The studios appear to be very small, but they come with the studio lounge that is only for solo cruisers where you can meet up with other solos and they have a crew member there who arranges group meals and such for the solo cruisers. If you look on the NCL board, you'll see quite a few reviews from solo cruisers' viewpoints.

I don't personally know of any other cruise lines that have cabins for solos, but if you look here on this forum, I know it's something that gets discussed frequently.

With the approach you've outline, I believe you will find your choices to be extremely limited. A better approach, in my opinion, is to set a budget that you're willing to pay (including any so-called supplement) and shop for cruises in that price range.

Thanks everyone! I continued to read through info on this site, and discovered the NCL ships that have solo cabins. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of NCL....I far prefer Princess, Celebrity or even Holland. I think the budget approach will work better for me. Thanks for your input!

Thanks everyone! I continued to read through info on this site, and discovered the NCL ships that have solo cabins. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of NCL....I far prefer Princess, Celebrity or even Holland. I think the budget approach will work better for me. Thanks for your input!

Not sure when you are looking to cruise but since you mentioned Princess....I just booked my 1st Princess cruise at a great price. 5 nights in November $199pp with $200pp obc. Even solo it was $494 (including taxes/port chg) with a $400obc. Couldn't pass up that price.

Keep checking on cruises you are interested in, especially if you can cruise last-minute. Often when the prices drop, the single supplements drop too. It helps if you are flexible about where and what type of cabin you get.

I thought some of the newer RCCL ships had some cabins for singles -- but watching the prices is really your best bet. I've seen sailings for NCL Epic where the price for one person in an inside was LOWER than the price for an Studio!

Cunard is retrofitting single cabins onto Queen Elizabeth and I think Queen Victoria. But you need to clarify- are you asking about a cabin DESIGNED for singles, or a MARKETING GIMMICK, where they don't put the words "single supplement" on the invoice, even though they're charging you the same price?

Hello Cruisers! Thanks again for the advice.

I just want a good deal....and not be penalized for traveling solo. :rolleyes: I did a 5 night Caribbean on Celebrity, a 12 night Med cruise on Princess, and a 10 night Caribbean on Princess in the past. Plus an awesome 15 night land and river cruise in Egypt. All were solo and booked after final payment. Those were all wonderful cruises, but that was 6-7 years ago. I thought some of the newer ships might be more solo-friendly.

I am patient and flexible, so last minute bookings are my best bet. Thanks again.

I am on the NCL Breakaway next month; right now it seems there is only a 25% single supplement and balconies start at $824 and up.

I would also look at NCL Getaway which is closer to you and likely has good rates as well.

Wow, that is a great price for a solo!! I booked one of the Studio cabins on the Breakaway for May 24, 2015. The total price is $1369. I have a price alert out for that sailing so I will keep an eye out and see what happens. I am sailing with a friend but we have seperate cabins so I am not really solo. If I could get a balcony for under $1000 I would jump on that.

Wow, that is a great price for a solo!! I booked one of the Studio cabins on the Breakaway for May 24, 2015. The total price is $1369. I have a price alert out for that sailing so I will keep an eye out and see what happens. I am sailing with a friend but we have seperate cabins so I am not really solo. If I could get a balcony for under $1000 I would jump on that.

My guess is the week you picked could have a decent price drop closer to the sailing. It is memorial day week, but school is still in session, of course some colleges are done then but this past year I did see drops in May.

My studio this time for 3 weeks from now was somehow $545 (booked it in February; + $139 insurance + $134 port fees). I saw a Balcony I liked (BD) for $874, but am not eager to pay $329 more.

I found a studio was fine when I was on the Epic. I didn't really sit in the room by myself on either trip.

Last year my original studio (booked 19 months out) was $999 and the BB balcony (mid 10th) ended up $1,099 the week before.

Have you made any more payment than the deposit? I really think the $1,329 could go down; but of course that is no gurantee.

My guess is the week you picked could have a decent price drop closer to the sailing. It is memorial day week, but school is still in session, of course some colleges are done then but this past year I did see drops in May.

My studio this time for 3 weeks from now was somehow $545 (booked it in February; + $139 insurance + $134 port fees). I saw a Balcony I liked (BD) for $874, but am not eager to pay $329 more.

I found a studio was fine when I was on the Epic. I didn't really sit in the room by myself on either trip.

Last year my original studio (booked 19 months out) was $999 and the BB balcony (mid 10th) ended up $1,099 the week before.

Have you made any more payment than the deposit? I really think the $1,329 could go down; but of course that is no gurantee.

No, just made the $250 deposit. The only reason I picked that date was because I only get 2 weeks vacation time and since we get off for Memorial Day that gives me another free day. I am also going on a 11 day Greece cruise next November and that will eat up all of my days.

I am thinking that this cruise will also have a price drop much closer to sailing which would be great. Since I have my price alert on I am ready to jump on it as soon as I see them.

I don't blame you for not doing the balcony. That is pretty steep and really how long are you in the room during the day?

Please let me know how your cruise was and if there are any must do's on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
The new Royal Caribbean Quantum and Anthem have solo cabins, including some with a balcony. Just be sure to check the prices. Sometimes the single cabin is more than a 2 person cabin.

In addition to Quantum and Anthem. Brilliance, Radiance and Serenade have the single cabins but often times priced more than the double occ cabins.