AA carry on

margeecruiser

We just bought a new carry-on. We had to have it shipped because they didn't have the color I wanted in the store. The salesman and the tags on the spinner bag stated it was "roll aboard friendly". We specifically asked the salesman for a 22" size. When it arrived, I immediately said it was too big. We bought this item in an outlet mall, their policy is no returns, exchange only. but they do not offer any other size in this brand. When I measure this case, it is 24 inches tall. The tag shows a measurement of 20.5 inches tall. I think they do not count the wheels. My question is whether American Boeing 777 bins will hold the case.

One option for me is to visit our local airport and try the sizers to be sure.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Margee

Sorry you can't return that new bag. I guess you can check it.

All airlines have gotten tougher on carry in bags sizes even Southwest which likely would allow your new bag to be a carry on

My carry in under seat bag has no wheels and in 9 x 11 x 19 inches. I keep it under 17 pounds total weight. I always have one bag to check as I carry tools that the TSA doesn't. Allow in a carry on bag.

Yes you can fly with a carry on larger than mine but it is the total weight that is an issue on some airlines.

Thanks for your replies. We are going to our little home-town airport today to try the sizers. We actually fly out of DFW for our direct to London flight next month. I am so mad at this store and luggage brand for mis-representing their merchandise. If this luggage doesn't fit, I'll be writing a complaint letter. It is going to cost me $150 each way to check this piece since it will be the third item. I just can't pack everything for a month in less.

Wish me luck!

Margee

Thanks for your replies. We are going to our little home-town airport today to try the sizers. We actually fly out of DFW for our direct to London flight next month. I am so mad at this store and luggage brand for mis-representing their merchandise. If this luggage doesn't fit, I'll be writing a complaint letter. It is going to cost me $150 each way to check this piece since it will be the third item. I just can't pack everything for a month in less.

Wish me luck!

Margee

Perhaps, if it doesn't fit, you can attempt to return the bag, but also use this as a way to force you to try to pack everything in two bags? Trust me, it's likely possible for the average traveler. It may take some creativity and compromise, but I can't imagine lugging three bags around. I had to do two once and hated it...let alone three.

I just can't pack everything for a month in less.

It's certainly possible. I emigrated with two suitcases and a carry-on bag and took a 3 month holiday taking in every climate possible with one suitcase and a rollerbag. People just don't try hard enough or think outside the box.

Baggage rules are extremely frustrating as they are so different between airlines. We are flying with five different airlines this year and each has different sizings and weight limits for carry-on bags. I have learned to actually measure bags before we buy them as many bags --discounted or otherwise-- do not meet current rules. Often you find this info if you do an internet search for the specific bag you are looking at.

I would look for the silver lining in this. Take a good look at what you are taking with you. Do you REALLY need everything in those bags? Do you have any things that be hand-washed to save space on duplication? Do you have any liquids/cosmetics that you can buy once there (saving space AND weight)?

Honestly, unless you are going for a month in Europe in the winter and are taking clothes and boots for skiing, I can't imagine the need for 2 checked bags and a large carryon. Heck, I've even done 20 days in Europe in winter and having to have my ski clothes with me (not for skiing, but for another winter sport that required boots to stand on ice for hours outdoors), tied with a week of business work in Paris, and I only had one checked bag and my daypack…

Breathe and do that re-check of what you are planning to take - it'll be OK.

Baggage rules are extremely frustrating as they are so different between airlines. We are flying with five different airlines this year and each has different sizings and weight limits for carry-on bags. I have learned to actually measure bags before we buy them as many bags --discounted or otherwise-- do not meet current rules. Often you find this info if you do an internet search for the specific bag you are looking at.

At least within the US, they're all pretty much the same:

United: 9 x 14 x 22, including wheels/handles

American: 9 x 14 x 22, including wheels/handles

Delta: 9 x 14 x 22, including wheels/handles

Alaska: 10 x 17 x 24, including wheels/handles

Southwest: 10 x 16 x 24, including wheels/handles

Well,success at the American counter at our local airport. The new suitcase did fit in the sizer. My husband even turned the suitcase upside down to be sure the wheels and all fit. I still don't know why if the length from the floor to the top of the case is 24" why it fit if the current size states 22" on the American luggage info.

For all who wondered why I was taking 3 cases, my husband and I are each taking two, plus a small tote (me) for our meds and paperwork and jewelry. We know how to stack/hook these together so we each are only handling one rolling piece. We have traveled many times this way and know how much we can handle. I assure you, we are not planning train travel requiring many stairs. That would have been nice when we were younger, but those days are gone. I'm just glad luggage has wheels today. I well remember when you had to carry everything! I can put my rolling carry-on in the overhead bins myself.

I'm a clothes-horse, so say my friends. I don't care, I'm happy.

Thanks again. Margee

Well,success at the American counter at our local airport. The new suitcase did fit in the sizer. My husband even turned the suitcase upside down to be sure the wheels and all fit. I still don't know why if the length from the floor to the top of the case is 24" why it fit if the current size states 22" on the American luggage info. .....

The sizers have a built in "fudge factor." They are larger than the stated allowed suitcase size.

Your bag may have fit the sizer, but if you are traveling internationally, you are going to have a problem. It's too large and when packed, will probably be too heavy. Some foreign airlines (Lufthansa in particular) rigorously enforce their rules about carry on weight.

The sizers have a built in "fudge factor." They are larger than the stated allowed suitcase size.

Your bag may have fit the sizer, but if you are traveling internationally, you are going to have a problem. It's too large and when packed, will probably be too heavy. Some foreign airlines (Lufthansa in particular) rigorously enforce their rules about carry on weight.

Good point about the international travel. Even though you bought your tickets on AA, if you are traveling internationally, are you sure all your flights are on AA metal and not a codeshare partner? For AA, you've got British Airways to worry about - their carryon restriction are a tad draconian for a mainline airline. You may be OK going USA-xx, but you have to be sure you are OK for your xx-USA return, too...

My flight are outbound AA flight 50 and inbound AA flight 79. On the airlines website, these are not listed as code-share. They show Boeing 777-300. These are non-stop, with no change of equipment.

I appreciate your replies.

Margee

Margee, the bad news is that the people who check your carry on baggage at LHR (London Heathrow) are not American Airlines employees. They are airport employees who are famous for being difficult to deal with on carry on luggage especially bags with wheels. It seems they adore saying 'no' on bags especially for those of us returning to the USA.

American Airlines can't and won't help out sort this out.

LHR has its own sizers!

In my small wheel free carry on bag I put the things I cannot live without (medicines etc) and my comfort items. Things to do, a change of clothes, eye shades, shaw, slippers, snacks and water (bought when I am in the secure area of the airport) and my electronics and chargers.

My purse will easily fit in my little carry on if it comes to that.

Edited by PennyAgain

Wish me luck!

Margee

See my signature to learn how to pack for a month in a single 20" bag plus a "small personal item."

Don't think it will fit wheels in on a 777, only an A330, although I might have them backwards.

Either way, it sounds like they were measuring not including the wheels, but the airlines include them for sure.

Can you tell us any more about the draconian carry-on restrictions imposed by BA?

Any duty-free you buy counts as part of your hand baggage. So, if you buy, you had better be able to stuff it in your personal item or carryon! At one point, there was a "one piece only" restriction on what you could take onboard.

And, at least on the flight I took on BA, thankfully the FAs were forcing the "personal item MUST go underneath the seat" rule. That was the one thing that I agreed with...

I've done that AA flight DFW to LHR. One thing to be aware of is the large boxes under some seats that hold the entertainment hardware. My seat had one of those. That box took up most of the undersea space; I could barely put my feet under there, let alone put my daypack there. There are some newer 777s that you might get on that flight. Maybe the space will be better. One thing to note: The newer 777s are 3-4-3 seating - sardine city. The older ones are 2-5-2 seating. After that flight and the one back home (LHR-LAX nonstop!!!), I was thankful for flying Delta 99% of the time ;)

LHR is very doable if you understand how it works. The amount of carryon stuff you are allowed varies by the class of service you purchased.

I have never had any issues with restrictions on Duty Free items but that may be in part because my carry on bag does not have wheels and is much smaller than the allowed size.

My 'personal item' is a small tote bag that can hold my last minute shopping and my purse.

My travels are much easier since I gave up using a carry on with wheels.

My checked bag has wheels so when not flying I can connect things together and use the wheels on that bag.

Any duty-free you buy counts as part of your hand baggage. So, if you buy, you had better be able to stuff it in your personal item or carryon!
Personally, I've never seen this enforced on BA (unlike a different airline based on the other side of the Irish Sea).
At one point, there was a "one piece only" restriction on what you could take onboard.
On BA, it has not been so for many years now. And the weight limit per piece is whatever you can personally lift into the overhead bin, up to an overall maximum of 23 kg per piece.

Well, I did say "at one point"… Just a reminder that it can change at anytime. When they had the one bomber scare, I remember they made everyone check everything except maybe a book…

I wasn't hit with the duty-free thing, but I had a friend nailed on it 2 days later… so, just saying be prepared in case you get an employee having a bad day.

Good point about the international travel. Even though you bought your tickets on AA, if you are traveling internationally, are you sure all your flights are on AA metal and not a codeshare partner? For AA, you've got British Airways to worry about - their carryon restriction are a tad draconian for a mainline airline. You may be OK going USA-xx, but you have to be sure you are OK for your xx-USA return, too...

BA seem to have one of the more generous carry-on policies of the major airlines, allowing 50 pounds in one bag (which I wouldn't begin to try to lift into the overhead - I could probably do, but it's just too much stuff).

OP, glad your bag fits into the sizers. I am going to stop by LAX with a couple of our bags just to make sure that they do. Both are smaller than the Jos. A. Bank bags that we carried for years and finally wore out, and those fit snugly, so I'm fairly confident that the news ones will be fine. I just like to be sure. There are sizers curbside, so I can pull over, check the size and be on my way before I hear "the white zone is for loading and unloading passengers only.":p