Which beach offers the best food/drink option (while still kid friendly)

Cruisergal1975

Hi!

I've read through so many great posts here but I am really on the fence on which beach to choose.

We will be in Aruba in Feb from 8 am to 4 pm. Our group will be 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 10-13).

The kids will be happy just playing on the beach; swimming and what not - the adults will be happy with food and drink - of the potent variety ;) and would also welcome being able to rent chairs and having restrooms available.

We don't mind some crowds but would rather it not be so crowded that we have to trip over people just to get around.

Taxi or bus doesn't matter as the costs seem to be reasonable either way. - mostly concerned about getting back to the ship on time :)

For those of you who have been to Aruba, which beach would you recommend?

People have reported back about being misled by Eagle Beach lately. Just be aware that no beach is going to be quiet and relaxing when ships are in port. Anytime you add 2,000+ people to the beaches, they are all going to be busy. Often, there are 2 - 4 ships in town at one time. That being said, Eagle will probably be less crowded than Palm Beach overall, but the areas that rent chairs and umbrellas to day visitors will all be busy. There are a few places on Eagle Beach to get drinks and food, but a lot more places along Palm Beach. As far as restrooms go, there are more available on Palm Beach. Two restroom buildings with snack bars have recently been built on Eagle Beach, but when I was there just three weeks ago, they weren't open yet. There is no telling when they will be open. The one that opened at Arashi Beach recently sat there for almost a year before it was opened.

Edited by Hatteras51

We have been to Aruba several times on land based vacations and three times as a port of call. In my opinion Palm Beach would be the best beach to visit. No problem renting beach chairs and umbrellas. Plenty of places to get Food and Drinks and just a beautiful Beach.l

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to Aruba several times on land based vacations and three times as a port of call. In my opinion Palm Beach would be the best beach to visit. No problem renting beach chairs and umbrellas. Plenty of places to get Food and Drinks and just a beautiful Beach.l

Thank you for that recommendation. My only question is that if we are not arriving on our ship until the afternoon will we have difficulty getting chairs? We are supposed to be in port from 1:00-10:00.

TIA

Any beach will be "kid friendly"...and not EVERY cruise passenger goes to the beach! It's true that Caribbean beaches are much narrower than most beaches here in the US, but still, the crowds are pretty well spread out.

Thank you for that recommendation. My only question is that if we are not arriving on our ship until the afternoon will we have difficulty getting chairs? We are supposed to be in port from 1:00-10:00.

TIA

You will probably have a better chance of getting chairs on Palm Beach at that time of day. They have more chairs available.

Any beach will be "kid friendly"...and not EVERY cruise passenger goes to the beach! It's true that Caribbean beaches are much narrower than most beaches here in the US, but still, the crowds are pretty well spread out.

All of the beaches are intensely crowded when there are 4 ships in port.

All of the beaches are intensely crowded when there are 4 ships in port.

True. In that case, if the OP wants a beach day, it won't really make any difference whether they pick Eagle or Palm beach- they'll be equally crowded, and one won't be less "kid friendly" than the other.

OTOH, if there are only one or 2 ships in port, both beaches will be less crowded, and still both beaches will be equally kid friendly. But Palm Beach will still be bigger and offer more food and drink options.

Although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how the OP defines kid friendly. Personal safety ( drunkenness or drugs on the beach)? water safety ( deep drop offs, rip currents, water craft close to shore)? Clothing optional beaches? I don't think any of those apply.

Edited by mom says

• 2 weeks later...
True. In that case, if the OP wants a beach day, it won't really make any difference whether they pick Eagle or Palm beach- they'll be equally crowded, and one won't be less "kid friendly" than the other.

OTOH, if there are only one or 2 ships in port, both beaches will be less crowded, and still both beaches will be equally kid friendly. But Palm Beach will still be bigger and offer more food and drink options.

Although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how the OP defines kid friendly. Personal safety ( drunkenness or drugs on the beach)? water safety ( deep drop offs, rip currents, water craft close to shore)? Clothing optional beaches? I don't think any of those apply.

Kid friendly to me entails all those things but the order or priority varies from person to person. To me I'm more concerned with facilities offering food/drink and water safety. Is there a clear winner between Palm and Eagle here?

Take a cab from the port and go directly to DePalm Piers. (10 minute ride) It is the stretch of Palm Beach right in between the Hilton And the Riu Hotel. There is a really nice restaurant on the Pier to grab lunch (Bugaloe) http://www.bugaloe.com/. Same location you can rent just about any water toy, chair, umbrella you want. AND there is a Dunkin Donuts and restroom facilites

I've been on a few Aruba land vacations and this is by far the best spot to be in on Palm Beach.

Take a cab from the port and go directly to DePalm Piers. (10 minute ride) It is the stretch of Palm Beach right in between the Hilton And the Riu Hotel. There is a really nice restaurant on the Pier to grab lunch (Bugaloe) http://www.bugaloe.com/. Same location you can rent just about any water toy, chair, umbrella you want. AND there is a Dunkin Donuts and restroom facilites

I've been on a few Aruba land vacations and this is by far the best spot to be in on Palm Beach.

And just to add - I was there this past July and brough my 5 & 8 year old.

I hear beach chairs are quite expensive on Palm Beach (like $45 for 2 chairs and an umbrella). Are the prices similar on Eagle Beach? I'm thinking perhaps the prices are higher if closer to restaurants and restroom facilities...?