Torn Between 2 "Journeys"

ferfoodle

Which Itinerary?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which Itinerary?

• The Dream going to Dominica, St. Kitts and Falmouth Jamaica
    • The Liberty going to Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago and Grenada

I am having a really difficult time deciding on which Carnival Journeys cruise I want to take next year. My sisters and friends just don't get it. But I know all of you here do and seeking opinions.

I actually have the Carnival Dream booked already for the 10 Journey January 14th thru 24th with the following itin:

1-14Th San Juan

1-15 F St. Thomas

1-16 S Dominica

1-17 Su St. Kitts

1-18 M at sea

1-19 Tu Grand Turk

1-20 W at sea

1-21 Th Falmouth Jamaica

1-22 F at sea

1-23 S at sea

1-24 SU New Orleans

But seriously considering switching to the Carnival Liberty for the 12 day Journey March 6th thru 18th with the following itin:

3-6 Su San Juan

3-7 M St. Thomas

3-8 Tu at sea

3-9 W Barbados

3-10 Th Trinidad/Tobago

3-11 F Grenada

3-12 S at sea

3-13 Su Aruba

3-14 M at sea

3-15 Tu Grand Cayman

3-16 W at sea

3-17 Th at sea

3-18 F Galveston

The Dream trip would be in a Cove balcony for $230 less than the Liberty trip in an OV (a Liberty balcony is $1200 more than the Dream on this trip - so ov it would be). We have been on the Liberty already though and DH would like to try a Cove (I get to next month :D without him). The Liberty trip is 2 days longer and goes to Aruba one of our favorite places to date. Both have 3 new islands to us which are in bold above.

Travel will be cheaper in January (plus we will only use 8 days of vacation days vs. 10 for the March cruise) and it would be nice to get away during the dead of winter. One down side is we would be on the ship or in a hotel for the 2 NFL playoff weekends - which adds an extra expense by getting a hotel on the 24th instead of flying straight home because DH WILL NOT MISS the games (and God help us if NO hosts the NFC championship game:eek: because that would be on disembarkation day). I'm thinking the hotel expense would offset with the cost of transfers in Galveston and higher air fair in March - so probably close to a wash.

Both cruises have a few pros and cons to us and DH has left it up to me to decide. I would usually jump at taking an extra 2 days on the cruise, but I just can't decide and believe the deciding factor will be the itineraries and new ports.

So my question to you all, of the 3 ports in each set that are in bold, which set is more desirable to you and if you feel like posting beyond the poll, why? Is it Dominica, St. Kitts and Jamaica on the Dream - or - is it Barbados, Trinidad & Togabo and Greneda on the Liberty that you would choose?

NOT just based on the 3 wild card ports on each - which is what you asked at the end - i would choose dream over liberty personally...

the reasons why i would do so, however, are contained within the rest of your question / post - in that 1) balcony over oceanview any day, 2) less expensive, 3) less days off work, 4) travel considerations.

it seems like apart from the 3 new islands on the liberty which you might prefer over the 3 (still new) islands on dream, practically speaking the dream would be better suited to your personal situation. and at the end of the day, you still get 3 new ports.

also, while i'm usually inclined to think 'the longer the better' and give an edge to a cruise with an extra day, say an 8 day vs a 7 day - both cruises are sufficiently long that i don't think it makes as much of a difference, and some of the practical concerns noted may trump that extra 2 days.

so that's my .02.

I would go Liberty all the way!

On the Dream, it goes to ports that are more visited ports, so if you miss them, it wont be difficult to find another cruise with those ports. While the Liberty goes to ports such as Barbados (Not that uncommon), Trinidad & Tobago, and Grenada. There's only a few cruises I've seen in the 4 years I've been searching that go to any of those places, PLUS you get to go to one of your favorite islands, Aruba!

I think that the Liberty is a much better "bang-for-your-buck" even though it's more expensive.

Liberty without a doubt. That itinerary is wonderful.

I've been on both ships. While I had a great time on both, I think that the Liberty is the better ship.

Just my opinion but I like the itinerary lots better on Liberty plus you'll have two more days! :)

LuLu

agree

OP is sailing mid-January good for you? we cruised right after NYE this year and felt a bit too rushed after holiday entertaining, etc.

NOT just based on the 3 wild card ports on each - which is what you asked at the end - i would choose dream over liberty personally...

the reasons why i would do so, however, are contained within the rest of your question / post - in that 1) balcony over oceanview any day, 2) less expensive, 3) less days off work, 4) travel considerations.

it seems like apart from the 3 new islands on the liberty which you might prefer over the 3 (still new) islands on dream, practically speaking the dream would be better suited to your personal situation. and at the end of the day, you still get 3 new ports.

also, while i'm usually inclined to think 'the longer the better' and give an edge to a cruise with an extra day, say an 8 day vs a 7 day - both cruises are sufficiently long that i don't think it makes as much of a difference, and some of the practical concerns noted may trump that extra 2 days.

so that's my .02.

Good points. Time off of work really isn't too much of a factor, but still plays in the pro/con game. The extra port and extra sea does also add $$, but all told I'm thinking the total budget difference between the two would be under $500 which is an acceptable factor for us. We do love our balconies, but in truth we just got off the 14 day Pride repo and there were a lot of other fun things offered it seemed over regular 7 day cruises that we really didn't utilize it as much as we have in the past. I still think ultimately it will come down to the port choices.

I would go Liberty all the way!

On the Dream, it goes to ports that are more visited ports, so if you miss them, it wont be difficult to find another cruise with those ports. While the Liberty goes to ports such as Barbados (Not that uncommon), Trinidad & Tobago, and Grenada. There's only a few cruises I've seen in the 4 years I've been searching that go to any of those places, PLUS you get to go to one of your favorite islands, Aruba!

I think that the Liberty is a much better "bang-for-your-buck" even though it's more expensive.

Yes this is a major reason why I am considering the Liberty - more unique ports. But as I discovered on my repo cruise, some of those unique ports aren't all that. I was super stoked to go to Bonaire, and although the snorkeling was quite enjoyable and unique, I really didn't care for the island itself - we enjoyed Aruba much more and I am sure I will also find Curacao more our style when we get the opportunity to go there. Trinidad and Greneda are rare stops - but I am torn if they are really worth it?

Liberty without a doubt. That itinerary is wonderful.

I've been on both ships. While I had a great time on both, I think that the Liberty is the better ship.

It does "look" better and I know most people "loathe" Jamaica...but it has been on my bucket list since I was a child and have had 2 cruises booked to there that the itin got changed to not include Jamaica. One of those was my Liberty cruise and I agree, Liberty is a great ship - one of my favorites.

Liberty for the itinerary - I have been to all of those ports - I would even price out and consider a porthole or interior cabin to save more money, over an oceanview cabin.

Port holes are too far forward for me and I could never convince DH to do an interior. Without having to peruse your posts and if you can remember, could you tell me what kind of excursions Trinidad & Tobago are the "must do types". I have looked at the Port of call boards for them, but when you have posts from 2010 on page one of the board...yeah, not a lot of resource there.

agree

OP is sailing mid-January good for you? we cruised right after NYE this year and felt a bit too rushed after holiday entertaining, etc.

January and February are actually ideal for us...well unless the weather in Colorado causes airport shutdowns:eek: I do admit though, our last cruise was this March (14 dayer) and we actually preferred it over our previous winter ventures. We didn't freeze when we left the coats in the car for the mad dash in/out of the airport. And the added daylight in the Southern US and upper Caribbean was indeed quite noticeable and enjoyable.

Too funny on the polls here on CC - this is my first I have started. I would need to vote in order to see the results when entering the thread. LOL I don't know how to vote otherwise I would not have felt the need to start this thread.:rolleyes:

But looking at the votes as of now, Liberty is winning...by a lot. Still torn....and still would love opinions. Thank you.

Without having to peruse your posts and if you can remember, could you tell me what kind of excursions Trinidad & Tobago are the "must do types". I have looked at the Port of call boards for them, but when you have posts from 2010 on page one of the board...yeah, not a lot of resource there.

Yea, I think a thread I posted on in 2010 is at the top of the list now. :eek:

I will post more later tonight if you want, but I am so glad we were able to go to Tobago - swimming in the Nylon Pool off from Pigeon Point beach was a highlight of the 14 day cruise which had 8 stops. Most on our roll call I believe did private excursions there, including some type of Jeep excursion which all who participated raved about. I can find the roll call thread to get more information.

January and February are actually ideal for us...well unless the weather in Colorado causes airport shutdowns:eek: I do admit though, our last cruise was this March (14 dayer) and we actually preferred it over our previous winter ventures. We didn't freeze when we left the coats in the car for the mad dash in/out of the airport. And the added daylight in the Southern US and upper Caribbean was indeed quite noticeable and enjoyable.

nothing like putting on a cold coat to let you know the cruise is over is it?;)

OT Do u fly out of DEN? we r supposed to connect thru it in October flying SWA w/30 minute window. think we're good?

Edited by keishashadow

Trinidad and Greneda are rare stops - but I am torn if they are really worth it?

I've only been to Trinidad for business, so I cant give you much Info from a tourist perspective, but I've been to Grenada several times on vacation, and it's an absolutely wonderful little piece of paradise. It's known as the spice island and as soon as you get off the ship and breathe, you'll know why! [emoji4]

But looking at the votes as of now, Liberty is winning...by a lot. Still torn....and still would love opinions. Thank you.

I ran a poll recently between the Breeze and the Valor, and although the Breeze was winning by a massive landslide and a lot of people gave me very valuable feedback, I'm still leaning towards the Valor. Still, I haven't made up my mind! At the end, you'll know what's right for you!

Edited by Tapi

We are all here with you...like Tapi said on his...someone will write something that clicks.

I want to try the Liberty..I like that port run a tad better...but my memories are one cruise in Caribbean too long ago...almost anything even different form these would be good except only going to Nassau...but still have to see "new" Atlantis..was on that beach before.....Sarah

PS..it is hard..the trips look just great...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Yea, I think a thread I posted on in 2010 is at the top of the list now. :eek:

I will post more later tonight if you want, but I am so glad we were able to go to Tobago - swimming in the Nylon Pool off from Pigeon Point beach was a highlight of the 14 day cruise which had 8 stops. Most on our roll call I believe did private excursions there, including some type of Jeep excursion which all who participated raved about. I can find the roll call thread to get more information.

Yes, I would love that info even if it was from a few years back...if it is not too much trouble to find the link to your bygone roll call. Thank you.

nothing like putting on a cold coat to let you know the cruise is over is it?;)

OT Do u fly out of DEN? we r supposed to connect thru it in October flying SWA w/30 minute window. think we're good?

Only when we have to, lol. We are from Southern Colorado and much prefer to fly out of COS. But there have been several trips we have had to drag ourselves up to DEN including our last trip and we used Southwest. Southwest uses Concourse C and all its gates are in it. They have "people movers" so you can get from one end to the other pretty quickly. As long as your flight is on time and you get off quickly, you should be fine. Maybe you will luck out and the gates are nearby each other - but just in case, use the restroom on the plane.

I've only been to Trinidad for business, so I cant give you much Info from a tourist perspective, but I've been to Grenada several times on vacation, and it's an absolutely wonderful little piece of paradise. It's known as the spice island and as soon as you get off the ship and breathe, you'll know why! [emoji4]

Does is smell like Grandma's kitchen;)

I ran a poll recently between the Breeze and the Valor, and although the Breeze was winning by a massive landslide and a lot of people gave me very valuable feedback, I'm still leaning towards the Valor. Still, I haven't made up my mind! At the end, you'll know what's right for you!

I actually saw your poll and I too voted for the Breeze. Since it is just DH and I who are too old to do cartwheels but not old enough to retire, the Bells and Whistles really don't mean much to us. We did love the Liberty but we also like to try different ships. I am going on the Magic in a couple of weeks with my MIL, and will get a taste of what Dream will be like since they are in the same class. Hopefully I will be able to tell if "yes" DH will love this class and stay with the Dream; or "no" DH will be more happy with the more unique itinerary and switch to the Liberty.

This really is the first time I have had such a hard time (1st world problems I know) in choosing a cruise. I'm beginning to think I should just go ahead and book the Liberty too (to get a good room). Then spend a couple more months researching the 6 ports and cancel the one we decide not to take. (I never book ES, but will switch to it if still available once I book the air).