Shoe recommendation

hawgtuf

Honestly, in the 3 times I have gone to Alaska, I've only taken really comfy leather walking shoes. Never used waterproof shoes. Now, I haven't been out on the glaciers, but for the average person going on excursions/walking around town a very comfortable walking shoe works fine. I always have two pairs of shoes with me just in case one pair gets wet. We've cruised twice in Sep and once in May. Of those 3 cruises only had one day of really hard rain (that was in Skagway).

Your choice will depend on what you plan to do in each port.

I have been to Alaska several times and I just wear my New Balance athletic shoes. I don't even bother water proofing them. I do bring 2 pairs in case one gets wet.

Ditto. I just bring my normal walking shoes. I don't waterproof them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Clark's low hikers - I have two pairs, one lighter than the other, but both very light and cushiony (and waterproof;)). I've also done Alaska w/just leather sneakers that I sprayed w/waterproofing before going. Boots are not necessary.

Whatever comfortable walking shoes you may already own - sneakers, etc. - will be fine. Just bring a second pair in case you choose not to waterproof and that first pair gets wet. Nothing worse than soggy, wet, cold feet when you're in port.

Unless you are going into the snow, or on a glacier or doing a lot of hiking excursion you don't need any special shoes, nor do you need to do anything special to your regular shoes.

If you are going into snow or on a glacier or hiking you might want to consider hiking boots, but if not don't worry about it,, most of the time you are either on the ship or in a well developed city.

Sailing to Alaska for the first time and all the reviews suggest comfy, waterproof shoes.

Any suggestions for this ladies? I'm not really a "boot" kind of person.

What month are you going? I will adapt my clothing and footwear based on what accuweather predicts.

August is when the wet season starts and I love my waterproof steeltoe boots that allowed me to go anywhere.

• Ketchikan is known as the rain capital in August and September
  • Liarsville in Skagway can get muddy when wet
  • Mendenhal's Nugget falls trail can get muddy when wet

To me more important than what shoes to bring, is make sure you wear them around before you leave. Your feet may thank you. I've made that mistake before!

I agree, make sure they are well broken in and wear a good pair of socks, that should do the trick. I have a pair of leather Asics Gel shoes. I like them because they were available in wide width.

We've been to Alaska twice, both times in mid August. The first time it poured in Ketchikan. No surprise there. It's located in a rainforest area.

We went on our shore excursion anyway since it wasn't cancelled. It was a walk through a rainforest! :D The guide provided everyone with rain gear. Long story short, we both wore regular Nike shoes and were fine.

We walked around town and window shopped when our excursion was over. When we got back to the ship, we changed shoes since we had both packed extra "just in case" shoes.

On our second cruise, we had packed extra walking shoes but never used them. Bottom line . . . be prepared since the weather is unpredictable.

By the way, we saw bears on that excursion through the Ketchikan rainforest. Priceless and worth getting wet for!

After being to Alaska 5 times, I don't agree with all those that just wore their sneakers. When I first went I bought a pair of low cut gore-tex (waterproof) hikers from Zappos. They have been great and wear them the whole trip. They were great for walking the trail to the waterfall at Mendenhall glacier and wonderful when it was pouring rain in Ketchikan. Even when it wasn't raining, but yet it was very cool outside, the gore-tex keeps your feet warmer than just plain sneakers do.

Also invest in some smart wool socks if you don't have any. They are great.

A little pricey but so worth it.

I will be going again this May and bringing those same low cut waterproof hikers. Sneakers do not keep the feet warm when it is chilly out and you are watching the glaciers. When your feet are cold, we can feel cold all over.

My two cents that have really helped me...... Also a waterproof, hooded parka.

After being to Alaska 5 times, I don't agree with all those that just wore their sneakers. When I first went I bought a pair of low cut gore-tex (waterproof) hikers from Zappos. They have been great and wear them the whole trip. They were great for walking the trail to the waterfall at Mendenhall glacier and wonderful when it was pouring rain in Ketchikan. Even when it wasn't raining, but yet it was very cool outside, the gore-tex keeps your feet warmer than just plain sneakers do.

I will be going again this May and bringing those same low cut waterproof hikers. Sneakers do not keep the feet warm when it is chilly out and you are watching the glaciers. When your feet are cold, we can feel cold all over.

I agree with you. It doesn't hurt to have a pair of hiking shies, or low cut hiking boots. That one pair is the only piece of footwear you need for wear during the day whether you are on the ship or ashore.

When we go I they go on as soon as we arrive and are worn constantly except for dinner until we leave.

. . . Will spray sneakers as a backup too!

Why? Do you spray them for walking around at home on rainy days? if not there is no need to spray them for Alaska, you are not out in the wilderness, you are going to be in towns.

Can I ask what brand you got? To me 60 degrees is cold and my feet get numb. So I'm thinking your answer sounds right to me. I will also bring my tennis shoes, but if I'm buying some sort of hiking shoe, I should do it soon so I can wear them around a lot.

Glad I could help with some ideas.

My first pair that I have worn the most are Zamberlan gore-tex low cut hikers.

They are not very fashionable looking but they certainly do the job. They look fine with jeans. Have a good rugged sole. They are brown.

I later bought another pair that also work pretty well but the Zamberlan is my favorite. The second pair are by Teva and they look more like a tennis shoe in looks only. They are waterproof and again the good rugged waterproof sole and rubbery in the back and up over the toe. They are blue.

Both are very comfortable and did not take any "break in" time.

Don't forget the smart wool socks. A lot of time you can get them at Nordstrom's or specialty "comfort shoe" stores that may carry Clark shoes. We have a Takken's in our local mall that carry them. My daughter's in Colorado also find them more reasonable at Nordstrom Rack in Colorado but it is at the end of the season now so the Rack may be getting out of them. I am sure you can find them "online" though. They are really worth the price.