tours while at Mt McKinley lodge

cheeseclan

Hello,

We will be taking a cruise tour with Princess this May. We have a full day at the Mt McKinley Princess lodge the beginning of June. Has anyone booked an excursion thru Princess before arriving? Or do you just wait and see what the lodge has to do that day?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yes, I booked thru Princess well before arriving. I like to have everything planned out and not leave to chance that I won't get my preference because it's sold out. If you want to wait, feel free. I saw lots and lots of people milling about the info center at the lodge trying to arrange last minute tours. That's not my cup of tea. I chose a rafting trip and greatly enjoyed it.

cheeseclan: I've stayed at the Princess McKinley several times as it is a convenient place to stop for the night as we drive home to Fairbanks from Seward. When we walk into the main lodge building to check-in I am invariably struck by the number of people just sitting around looking rather bored. While there are some walking paths around the property you will see a number of people sitting playing board games (at least in the past the front desk has had games and cards to borrow). Others report that they did their laundry while staying there. Those who stay there should have some game plan regarding what they plan to actually do there.

Portiemom,

Thanks for the info. Will look and see what Princess has to offer.

We also have a 1/2 day in the am at Denali. What would you recommend for there as well, if anything?

I wish I had better advice for you cheeseclan. In Denali, I rode the bus to the very end of the road in Kantishna. It was one of my favorite excursions ever. It took 12 hours. Yes, I know 12 hrs! I was worried but my DH wanted to do it. Well, the time just flew by. I couldn't believe it was over so fast. For me, if I only had a half day, I would spend it in the Visitor's Center and hiking. I guess you could take a short bus tour. There are shuttle buses but I don't think you will go very far. With only half a day, you really must go back so that you have time to see the park. It really depends on your interest in scenery and wildlife. Our best wildlife sightings were well within the park. And the scenery is amazing but it takes time to get there.

Hello,

We will be taking a cruise tour with Princess this May. We have a full day at the Mt McKinley Princess lodge the beginning of June. Has anyone booked an excursion thru Princess before arriving? Or do you just wait and see what the lodge has to do that day?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

As mentioned above, we too book excursions in advance to avoid disappointment and crowds/wasting time.

There are a variety of things to do from McKinley lodge, ranging from free to $$$. There is a very pretty nature walk that begins from the deck of the Lodge, you can take the $10. shuttle to Talkeetna (a cute, quirky little town), there are several rafting float trip options, both from Lodge and from Talkeetna, there are flightseeing trips also out of Talkeetna. You can look under your Trip Personalizer, Excursions. You will see a list. Also check out Trip Advisor under Talkeetna. You can be as busy or unbusy as you like. BTW, we'll be there in late May as well. We're so looking forward to it.

We also have a 1/2 day in the am at Denali. What would you recommend for there as well, if anything?

The biggest question is what tour do you have into the park? My guess is the Natural History Tour. If so, you should switch to the Tundra Wilderness Tour or, better yet, cancel the NHT, get a refund and book a shuttle bus to Eielson instead. The shuttle to Eielson costs less than the NHT so you will make money on it. Book for 8am departure or later so you can take the 7am Princess shuttle to the park. You need to bring your own food on the shuttle, but it goes much further into the park than the NHT and several miles further than the TWT.

The biggest question is what tour do you have into the park? My guess is the Natural History Tour. If so, you should switch to the Tundra Wilderness Tour or, better yet, cancel the NHT, get a refund and book a shuttle bus to Eielson instead. The shuttle to Eielson costs less than the NHT so you will make money on it. Book for 8am departure or later so you can take the 7am Princess shuttle to the park. You need to bring your own food on the shuttle, but it goes much further into the park than the NHT and several miles further than the TWT.

The OP only has a half day at Denali. The full day is Talkeetnaa.

That's why i asked for the specifics on the half day. If they depart Denali at noon, their options are very limited.

It just says morning at leisure so probably 1/2 day only. Sounds like we will be limited to what we can do. Will have to check online and see if they are giving exact times and what is available.

We are doing the Tundra tour thru Princess. Very excited for that.

It just says morning at leisure so probably 1/2 day only. Sounds like we will be limited to what we can do. Will have to check online and see if they are giving exact times and what is available.

So you have 2 nights at the Denali Princess? This is superb. BUT, do you know the details of the tour and shuttle buses, especially the benefit of the shuttle bus? Simple to take advantage of, if of interest. Full details if needed. I just cant see paying about triple the cost for this distance. :)

As for the half day, I sure would do something and enjoy it. You can take a look at the Visitor Center and Wilderness Access Center exhibits, See the short Sled Dog demo, Ride the shuttle bus to Savage River, etc All free activities. :)

Oh, that is encouraging. The Tundra tour will take you a good ways into the park and you will have the opportunity to see more than I originally thought. Enjoy!

If you're doing the Tundra Tour, you must have a full day at Denali , then you leave around noon the next day. (If you're taking the train, it leaves at 12:30.)

BQ provided some excellent options for your half day. You can get more details on the sled dog demo, the Savage River hike/free shuttle, and exhibits from the Denali newspaper, ALPENGLOW. There's a link to the Alpenglow in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread.

So you have 2 nights at the Denali Princess? This is superb. BUT, do you know the details of the tour and shuttle buses, especially the benefit of the shuttle bus? Simple to take advantage of, if of interest. Full details if needed.

As for the half day, Ride the shuttle bus to Savage River, etc All free activities. :)

Please provide details of the tour and shuttle buses... just what I need. What do we do that first 1/2 day... best wildlife sighting chance.....

Thank you