Expensive Fascination

blondietink

We were hoping to sail out of San Juan again, but looking at the prices for the Fascination, wow! It's an old ship and a small ship, so why so expensive? Because the cabins are small, we would need 2 cabins for 4 adults. If it was a larger/newer ship I wouldn't mind the price, but gee, I wouldn't want to be smashed in a cabin that small with the other 4 adults in my family. Thoughts?

We were hoping to sail out of San Juan again, but looking at the prices for the Fascination, wow! It's an old ship and a small ship, so why so expensive? Because the cabins are small, we would need 2 cabins for 4 adults. If it was a larger/newer ship I wouldn't mind the price, but gee, I wouldn't want to be smashed in a cabin that small with the other 4 adults in my family. Thoughts?

Cruise on a larger ship, check out Royal Caribbean out of San Juan. Look at the Adventure.

OP here. We were looking at late April/early May 2018. The ocean view cabins are smaller (185sqft.) than what we are used to (220sqft.). There is no couch and the description of the cabins say that it is either 2 upper Pullmans with the lowers staying separated, or one Pullman with a trundle. Keep in mind we are all adults and my one son is disabled and he cannot sleep in a Pullman. Cost was around $2200 I think. So, we looked at 2 cabins side by side and the cost total was $2700, plus gratuities. Compared to our cruise 2 years ago on the Liberty out of San Juan at the same time frame at $1662.00, it is a lot more expensive either way.

I don't think $419 for a deep southern cruise with 5 ports is bad. We are doing it November 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the $419 fare for the lowest priced guaranteed inside? If I want an Empress level, midship inside cabin does the fare jump to $470?

And usually deep southern itineraries include Barbados or Granada or the ABC isles.

One possible reason is that it is one of the very few 5 ports in 7 day cruises.

Celebrity Summit goes to St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados on one itinerary.

On another the ports are St . Croix, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and Grenada.

We are sailing her in November and when we booked in January we paid $608pp (taxes/fees incl.) for an OV (6c) on deck 5. That same category on the same floor is now $678.50. How much time are you really spending in your cabin on a normal 3-4 port cruise, let alone, a 5 port one? I don't think it's all that unreasonable. The airfare is almost as much as the cruise itself. While I love the bigger ships (Breeze is my fave), on a cruise this port intensive the ship is merely the vessel to my destinations.

OP here. We were looking at late April/early May 2018. The ocean view cabins are smaller (185sqft.) than what we are used to (220sqft.). There is no couch and the description of the cabins say that it is either 2 upper Pullmans with the lowers staying separated, or one Pullman with a trundle. Keep in mind we are all adults and my one son is disabled and he cannot sleep in a Pullman. Cost was around $2200 I think. So, we looked at 2 cabins side by side and the cost total was $2700, plus gratuities. Compared to our cruise 2 years ago on the Liberty out of San Juan at the same time frame at $1662.00, it is a lot more expensive either way.

Cruise prices have gone up across the board since two years ago. We were also on Liberty two years ago. The year before that we went on a 7 day out of Miami for $349 per person for a balcony cabin. Even short cruises are pretty pricey now. I still think it is worth it though. I recently priced out a 7 day cruise vs a week at Disney World and the cruise is still significantly cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cruise prices have gone up across the board since two years ago. We were also on Liberty two years ago. The year before that we went on a 7 day out of Miami for $349 per person for a balcony cabin. Even short cruises are pretty pricey now. I still think it is worth it though. I recently priced out a 7 day cruise vs a week at Disney World and the cruise is still significantly cheaper.

Not sure about that. We are booked on the Dream out of NOLA in February during MArdi Gras for $1676 for 4 people. That sailing will spend a lot of money just on fuel, so I still fail to see why a small ship like Fascination costs so much. And size of the cabin does mean a lot to us since we sail with 4 adults in one cabin, one of which uses a wheelchair which must be stored in the cabin.

Not sure about that. We are booked on the Dream out of NOLA in February during MArdi Gras for $1676 for 4 people. That sailing will spend a lot of money just on fuel, so I still fail to see why a small ship like Fascination costs so much. And size of the cabin does mean a lot to us since we sail with 4 adults in one cabin, one of which uses a wheelchair which must be stored in the cabin.

Like everything it comes down to supply and demand. Carnival has only one ship doing the port intensive southern caribbean itinerary.

It really does come down to supply and demand. A few years ago Carnival had a larger ship in San Juan but was having trouble selling cabins and they would rock bottom the price to locals to fill the ship. Also at this time it was very costly to fly to San Juan for most travelers in the US. Carnival took the larger ship out and placed it where it could do other runs in the US that were more profitable. So they moved a ship that really should be running these short runs that they now have larger ships making. So now Carnival runs with a mostly full ship without having to rock bottom the price.

• 1 month later...

I think the sailing price on the Fascination is a good price. We also got a $50 OBC suppose to sail on her December 3, 2017. Just wondering with the hurricanes Irma and Maria and the horrible destruction and to the infrastructure just wondering if we will sail out of San Juan or a port in Florida.