Unauthorised Transactions today - Princess Cruises

maximusas

It's not Princess that have kept your details, but the payment transaction company that Princess use. It's not Princess, P&O or Cunard who have taken the money, but an error by the independant payment transaction company.

Yes but if anything this makes matters worse as they have illegally passed your details to a separate company which is in breach of the data act. And besides my contract is with princess not a third party company, princess hold a contract with the company at fault not me and as such legally princess are legally responsible to me and the third party company to princess so which ever way you look at it the buck stops with princess as to the responsibility to its customers and it is up to princess to deal with the third party company, it is basic British law.

The last few posts echo my views precisely. We paid Princess, were assured that the card was only used for the gratuities, deposit etc. We even asked that these were not stored as we were planning on using a different card for our onboard account. This is our 8th cruise (first with Princess) and I'm disgusted that Princess are passing this off as someone else's problem. I gave Princess the money, my contract is with them not Elavon (or whatever they are called). I did phone my bank and they rightly told me that it's up to Princess to sort it out as the money is pending and not debited. (I worked in one of the UKs biggest banks for 4 years and know this is true). Planning on contacting FCA tomorrow to report it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes but if anything this makes matters worse as they have illegally passed your details to a separate company which is in breach of the data act. And besides my contract is with princess not a third party company, princess hold a contract with the company at fault not me and as such legally princess are legally responsible to me and the third party company to princess so which ever way you look at it the buck stops with princess as to the responsibility to its customers and it is up to princess to deal with the third party company, it is basic British law.

They have not breached any data act as any purchase made online by use of a credit/debit card the companies you purchase from all use third party companies as a collection agent i.e. Worldpay/Paypal etc. and is common practice with most, if not all, online purchases.

Banking is a complex business. No one is sitting on a pile of money. The only people profiting for this snafu, and only if you used a debit card, is your bank as they have use of your money while it is tied up with a pending transaction. I suspect that someone at the third party processor put through the wrong data file. I know this is a real pain for all of you affected as we had it happen with another merchant.

The UK Data Protection Act states that they should not keep information 'For no longer than absolutely necessary'

I would say that time period would be till the end of the cruise, so I would think you'll have a hard time disputing it.

From experience I think your time scale is off.

'For no longer than absolutely necessary' according to the FCA this is the amount of time it takes for single transaction to be completed, pre-authorization to authorization.

Once the transaction is completed there is no legal reason to retain card information as there is no assumption that the individual will use the same payment method for future transactions.

The only differences would be if you specifically set up a recurring payment on a debit/credit card authorized by the card holder or you chose to leave a debit/credit card on file with a company even then you the card holder must authorize a transaction.

From what I have read Princess did not request a transaction however a glitch at a 3rd party processor did.

Under the Data Protection Act this makes no difference Princess are legally liable as a persons contract is with them and not the 3rd party processor and they have a duty of care set out under the data protection act in regards to your personal information.

I would imagine Visa, MasterCard and Amex as the big 3 card issuers are seriously looking at this issue.

This incident clearly shows one of the major problems when using debit cards. The limited recourse when problems occur. With a credit card one can challenge the charge and the amount is held until the investigation is over and the problem is resolved.

With a debit card the mone is out of the account until the problem is resolved. The bank cannot do anything because they received what to them is a valid charge. Their hands are tied utility the issue gets fixed.

Princess can contact their cc processing company to let them know that they have a problem, but cannot themselves issue a credit because the problem did not come from their systems.

The problem appears to be that the cc processing company retransmitted, previously completed transactions. Snice it started with their systems they need to initiate the corrections. Of course they are not directly contactable by the customers.

We have a cruise booked later in the year with P&O and had an email.

However we also received an email from Princess and we returned from that cruise 5 weeks ago and have no more booked. How long are details therefore kept?

£6313.00 has now been taken from my current account. This was held over the weekend as a pending transaction. I telephoned my bank and stated that in my opinion this whole business is fraud. My bank says let Princesse's 7 day processing period elapse then contact my bank again. The bank also said even if the problem is resolved then hit Princess with a claim for costs and the inconvenience caused. Any other cc members had an update yet ?.

£6313.00 has now been taken from my current account. This was held over the weekend as a pending transaction. I telephoned my bank and stated that in my opinion this whole business is fraud. My bank says let Princesse's 7 day processing period elapse then contact my bank again. The bank also said even if the problem is resolved then hit Princess with a claim for costs and the inconvenience caused. Any other cc members had an update yet ?.

just checked our statement and we have money taken out also.

why do we have to wait 7 days to get money back?

going to contact bank and Princess shortly

I received an email on Saturday from Princess to say I had been affected and the checked my account which showed nothing. Today I see that over £4,500.00 has come out of my account. I know I will receive the money back from Princess but think the least they could do is to give everyone affected some on board sends as compensation.

Is this just a UK problem or has it happened in the USA?

We have an amount pending on our debit card also.

It's all over but it seems only the UK like using their debit cards. North America tends to lean towards credit cards so nothing is coming out of their bank accounts.

£800 pending on my bank switch card on 19/5.....amount debited from my account on 22/5, but credited again today :-). unable to spend on account for 5 days! Now awaiting forms from my credit card company to reimburse £156.31 taken from my account. Asked them to contact Elavon Merchant Services direct, but credit card company are sending me the paperwork. Lets hope it is all settled before sailing...cruising 10th June!

Ron the Rev, Yes today they have put back my money into my account. So things are moving.

Lets hope you also have had better luck.

The first £2k payment was taken from my credit card and then a pending refund was on my account. I checked today to find a second £2k payment has been taken and no refund as of yet. No reply from Princess and just a generic email stating the problem had happened. The whole fiasco is unacceptable and I seriously doubt any goodwill gestures will happen.

The first £2k payment was taken from my credit card and then a pending refund was on my account. I checked today to find a second £2k payment has been taken and no refund as of yet. No reply from Princess and just a generic email stating the problem had happened. The whole fiasco is unacceptable and I seriously doubt any goodwill gestures will happen.

I wonder if they are dealing with them in date order. I have had £3000 pending since Friday, just checked my account and no change. I agree that it is unacceptable, very wary of booking again.

Edited by Lizzyanne
hit wrong keys!

I wonder if they are dealing with them in date order. I have had £3000 pending since Friday, just checked my account and no change. I agree that it is unacceptable, very wary of booking again.

I just double checked and all 3 transactions are dated Friday 19th.

1 payment is on my balance and not pending.

The other is a pending debit with a pending credit if that makes sense!!

I feel for everybody who has used a debit card and had their accounts cleaned out. Fingers crossed is all resolved asap, I can't believe it's happened to honest!

It's all over but it seems only the UK like using their debit cards. North America tends to lean towards credit cards so nothing is coming out of their bank accounts.

or perhaps Princess USA use a different company to clear card transactions.

someone this side has made a complete mess of it.

Princess should get it sorted ASAP and not leave it up to the cardholder to do all the chasing around between companies.

or perhaps Princess USA use a different company to clear card transactions.

someone this side has made a complete mess of it.

Princess should get it sorted ASAP and not leave it up to the cardholder to do all the chasing around between companies.

Princess has different company but I think P & O are the same. Yes, sucks all around.

Princess has different company but I think P & O are the same. Yes, sucks all around.

It's Carnival Corp UK who have the problem, they own Princess, P&O & Cunard and use the same card processing company for all 3.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

It's Carnival Corp UK who have the problem, they own Princess, P&O & Cunard and use the same card processing company for all 3.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

I know, that's not what we're talking about. I said that I believe P&O use the same company to process payments whether you're from the UK or North America.

In the UK, Carnival charge 1.5% on credit cards, zero on debit cards. Hence most use debit cards.

Brian