Double Tree Miami Questions

Sea saw 56

We are cruising out of POM, previous stays out of that port were at Embassy Suites Miami Airport. This time, would like a suite that has bay views with a balcony. I think we want to be as close as possible to Bayside Market Place. I don't see many good reviews of Double Tree for the cruise port on these boards Is it a bad hotel? Is it too far to walk for two 60+ year olds? They do have a great corner view grand suite for a price that isn't too bad.

The walk from the Doubletree to Bayside will take about 15 minutes -- I would suggest taking a cab back to your hotel after dark. There are better local dining option close to the Doubletree than the chains you will find at Bayside -- Bin 18 has great tapas and an extensive wine and beer list. :D

I like the hotel and stay there sometimes when in Miami on business.

Thank you Keith and John. The Corner Suite @ Doubletree really got my interest. (balcony, 1-1/5 baths under $300). Locationwise, the Holiday Inn looks best. We cruise 12/8/16 so will stay the night before which is a Wednesday. I see that is a couple days after Art Basel (a very busy first week of December each year). This is a 60th Bday celebration cruise to the Panama Canal on the Pearl. We really aren't as interested in a "budget room" as we are bay/port views with a suite & several choices of dining/bars nearby. Just starting to do research and have done test booking for prices on JW Marriott, Holiday Inn, Doubletree, suites only.

Stayed at the DoubleTree last year in a bayview balcony (not a suite) and it was heaven! The room was great and the hotel was wonderful. There is a side that has shops and restaurants. Very good and lots of options. Super quick cab ride to the port. Have a fantastic cruise!

We stayed here March 2014 and really enjoyed it. The room/suite was more than enough, a bit dated but clean, and the balcony was huge overlooking the Bay. We think the Intercontinental would have a great view of the port though. The Doubletree as mentioned had shops and restaurants on the lower level and we had a great meal there. It seemed the hotel also was used by many as a condo. We used the hotel shuttle to port also.

Good to hear some nice reviews of the Doubletree, because the pictures of the balcony views looked like a real treat for December (coming from the Midwest). It sounds like the bay view balconies do not have a view of the cruise port?

Good to hear some nice reviews of the Doubletree, because the pictures of the balcony views looked like a real treat for December (coming from the Midwest). It sounds like the bay view balconies do not have a view of the cruise port?

I have a picture from my balcony that I will try to post here if I can figure out how to do it lol! I am from the Midwest too and yes it was amazing to sit out on that balcony in November!

I am still seriously considering a suite or condo on an upper floor after reading lots of reviews. I know we want to go to Bayside Market Place because (believe it or not, and yes we are from the midwest) we really want to eat at Bubba Gumps for the 1st time!

What is the best way to get there from Doubletree? If the weather is good, wouldn't mind walking 15 or 20 minutes. Is there any freebie transportation that won't take us around town for half an hour before delivering us there? Best to take a cab?

I am still seriously considering a suite or condo on an upper floor after reading lots of reviews. I know we want to go to Bayside Market Place because (believe it or not, and yes we are from the midwest) we really want to eat at Bubba Gumps for the 1st time!

What is the best way to get there from Doubletree? If the weather is good, wouldn't mind walking 15 or 20 minutes. Is there any freebie transportation that won't take us around town for half an hour before delivering us there? Best to take a cab?

There is a people mover free tram system that has a stop just a block or so away. We used it when we stayed at the Marriott next door to Doubletree. We did take a cab back to the hotel after dinner at Bubba Gumps. As others have noted, there are dining options in the lower level that is shared with Marriott. A 10 minute stroll north on Biscayne Blvd is a deli/bakery type place called The Daily Creative Food Company. they had very yummy breakfast items there. seemed to be a local place and I learned about it here on these boards.

Happy Birthday and enjoy your cruise.

KARTI, your comments helped me make my decision. I appreciate your response. We normally stay @ Embassy Suites, and I have not been in one the past few years that was not "dated". Being clean and in a good location "with a view" means a lot this time.

• 1 month later...

Thinking of staying at the Doubletree in the spring saw that someone posted the trolley stops at the hotel anyone seen this or used it ?

Any new updates on this hotel ?

Looked at the Hilton but they are doing renovations & the Hampton Inn is more $$ when we are going

Thank you Keith and John. The Corner Suite @ Doubletree really got my interest. (balcony, 1-1/5 baths under $300). Locationwise, the Holiday Inn looks best. We cruise 12/8/16 so will stay the night before which is a Wednesday. I see that is a couple days after Art Basel (a very busy first week of December each year). This is a 60th Bday celebration cruise to the Panama Canal on the Pearl. We really aren't as interested in a "budget room" as we are bay/port views with a suite & several choices of dining/bars nearby. Just starting to do research and have done test booking for prices on JW Marriott, Holiday Inn, Doubletree, suites only.

Bubba Gumps really? The Rusty Pelican is much better and has amazing views. You'd have to either Uber or cab it there though. It's on Virginia Key and the views of downtown and Biscayne Bay are amazing.

Yes, Blue Heron, REALLY.

1- Have never eaten at one.

2- Will be traveling all day and a simple, informal meal is all we'll want that evening.

3 - Hey it's my 60th. No one is forcing me. It was MY idea. We will eat at all kinds of gourmet venues for the next two weeks!!!

Thanx....

Yes, Blue Heron, REALLY.

1- Have never eaten at one.

2- Will be traveling all day and a simple, informal meal is all we'll want that evening.

3 - Hey it's my 60th. No one is forcing me. It was MY idea. We will eat at all kinds of gourmet venues for the next two weeks!!!

Thanx....

Haha!

Hey, the Rusty Pelican is anything but gourmet.

Get the peel and eat shrimp at Bubbas. Both the garlic and Cajun are very good!

Edited by BlueHerons

Just my 2 cents....

We stayed last September at the Intercontinental Downtown. While they don't offer balconies, they had great suites with beautiful views of the bay and cruise terminal.

A couple good things:

We stayed in a club level suite and had snacks and alcohol free of charge in the Club room in the evenings and a pretty decent breakfast in the mornings.

The hotel is adjacent to Bayfront Park....and a short walk thru the park took us directly to Bayside Market. We walked thru during the day as well as the evening without any problems.

We also love Bubba Gumps...and always have our arrival day meal there! Being from Metro Detroit, we have to drive 5 hours to Chicago to eat at one....so I understand your wanting to go there!!:cool: Unfortunately the Midwest isn't known for their seafood!! :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise!!