October 2016 Cruise "No Longer Available"

shedridt

My husband & I quickly booked an 11-day cruise on Quest October 14, 2016 Rome to Athens, & view it as our 'dream destination cruise.' We confirmed through our TA, & friends want to join us - but told us the cruise is no longer available. Sure enough, that's the current status on this cruise.

I've got a note into my TA but has anybody any idea what the status of this cruise is? If it has been sold to a large group we would be very disappointed but would keep our booking as the itinerary is JUST what we've wanted for a long time.

Bonnie? Andy?

Upon investigation I found that two other cruises before the one I've got booked & confirmed are also listed now as "Unavailable".

My awful feeling is that Azamara has decided to do some maintenance on the Quest at the inconvenience of passengers who booked cruises they promised to deliver. If this is the case, I am more than annoyed - I'm really ticked off!

I hope that Bonnie & Andy can help us out, to give all of us some idea why Azamara has cancelled a block of cruises they promised to deliver & for which they accepted bookings as recently as 2 weeks ago. I'm confirmed on this cruise - have a booking number! What is going on?

Edited by shedridt

My wife and I are looking to do the Aug 11, 2016 North Cape Cruise b2b with the repo to Barcelona Aug 26. The Aug 11 shows up on the Azamara website, but nothing else until Nov 28. Not likely to be a charter. Hopefully, it's just some itinerary maintenance, but that's a long block of time taken off the books.

I looked on a European site I use to check cabin availability and all the cruises in that time period show up but are marked as Sold Out or no cabins available.

Edited by bob278

I too had my eye on a cruise on Aug. 26, 2016. Just spoke to Azamara and they told me the ship has been chartered until Nov. 28. :(

My word! That is an incredible charter. 93 days - who can commit to that long on speculation that they can sell it out? :eek: And how long will Azamara hold it before they are committed and won't take it back to sell themselves?

This is a case of being forced to decide to go elsewhere. In our minds, it was either 20 days on Oceania to Norway, North Cape and Russia or Azamara to the North Cape and Norway plus the Amsterdam-Barcelona repositioning for a 29-day B2B. We would not take the round-trip air for a two week cruise so Azamara has taken themselves off our radar..

I too had my eye on a cruise on Aug. 26, 2016. Just spoke to Azamara and they told me the ship has been chartered until Nov. 28. :(

Nooooo....not another long charter for Quest. As if the one in 2015 wasn't enough! :(

Why can't they charter Journey instead? It is her turn!

Nooooo....not another long charter for Quest. As if the one in 2015 wasn't enough! :(

Why can't they charter Journey instead? It is her turn!

Last week on Quest we overheard one of the Officers discuss with a guest that Quest was the best ship to charter as the crew were used to working with charters and Journeys crews were not. At the time I thought nothing about it other than that I could not follow the logic

Wow! The Quest is already chartered for 10 weeks in 2015 and now it appears that it will be chartered for another 13 weeks in 2016. That is a huge chunk of time for a cruise line with only 2 ships. How can you build customer loyalty by reducing the number and selection of itineraries to choose from?

Our TA contacted Az, who told her that they are performing 'inventory' which seems a strange term to apply to cruising. They said that the cruises will reappear as available after the 'inventory process.'

I'll be watching the website to see if these three cruises reappear, & remain hopeful. This is a terrific itinerary!

Edited by shedridt

Does anyone know what type of groups would charter a ship like Quest? Our thinking is that we often get cruise brochures from our university alumni associations, & if we were to be on a ship with like-minded people (as opposed to my DH's hope - Swedish Swimsuit Models...:D) it would be OK just as long as they honor the booking we have in place.

Does Az split ship bookings between charter groups & ordinary travelers?

Our TA contacted Az, who told her that they are performing 'inventory' which seems a strange term to apply to cruising. They said that the cruises will reappear as available after the 'inventory process.'

I'll be watching the website to see if these three cruises reappear, & remain hopeful. This is a terrific itinerary!

I can only hope it's so...I WAS talking to Guatemala, but she said the exact dates between which the cruises are showing unavailable, and was not hesitant. At least this gives me some hope?

I have thought about nothing else since last Thursday, trying to figure it out. The corporate customer service people told my husband that it was "being reviewed for pricing" and would be back soon. He is going to call them tomorrow and see what they are saying now.

Honestly, nobody likes being lied to....We were about to book the Aug. 26th cruise from Amsterdam to Barcelona. That was a great itinerary and we are really disappointed.

I am not a frequent Azamara cruiser (only 1 on Azamara, but multiple cruises on Celebrity and RCL) but it boggles my mind that any cruise line would commit to a charter for so long this far in advance and taking that many cruises off-line for re-pricing so soon after releasing them strikes me as borderline incompetence from the marketing/revenue department.

There aren't even enough common ports to all the cruises to explain that they had to drop one or two.

I am disappointed because the Aug 11 Norway/North Cape and Aug 26 Amsterdam to Barcelona would have made a fantastic b2b. I now lack confidence in it even if they show back up.

Edited by bob278

Hi Everyone,

Wish I could help, but I have not communicated with anyone at Azamara for several months now.

As others have alluded, it could be a drydock, one or more charters, or something else altogether. I cannot imagine that Quest is reportedly stop sell for 93 days - which is unheard of... so I'm as baffled as everyone else. As for comments about "inventory" ? dont believe it. It's corporate bespoke, when they do not have anything to say - at least not to be released to the general public.

On a personal note, I'm sorry for being unable to assist my many dear friends on this forum. I'm sure you are aware, when I can help our members... well, that's my happiness - but it is no more. I'm deeply saddened over the chilly relationship with Azamara, but it is beyond my control. I've accepted the reality of placing my passion and efforts elsewhere. Hopefully, it will improve someday, but then again... I always try to remain optimistic.

We'll just have to wait to see what Bonnie has to say on the matter.

Edited by Host Andy

Last week on Quest we overheard one of the Officers discuss with a guest that Quest was the best ship to charter as the crew were used to working with charters and Journeys crews were not. At the time I thought nothing about it other than that I could not follow the logic

I agree Uktog. The officers comments make zero sense. Both ships should be able to handle charters with ease. Journey's crew is excellent. Coupled with their outstanding officers, I'm sure they can adapt to a charter situation.

Methinks inventory process is code for charter negotiations.

Let's remember that we've seen this movie before. When the 2015 itineraries were announced, there was a huge gap of "sold out" cruises, which shortly thereafter were revealed to be charters. I believe they were through an Australian agency. Apparently that same agency may be in the hunt for 2016 charters, per this post a few months ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42634523&postcount=6

It's a tough gig to try to built a loyal customer base when your product isn't available for a significant part of the year but I guess the math must work for Azamara.

I hope it really is an inventory process and not a charter so you get to have your dream itinerary.

Hi Everyone,

Wish I could help, but I have not communicated with anyone at Azamara for several months now.

On a personal note, I'm sorry for being unable to assist my many dear friends on this forum. I'm sure you are aware, when I can help our members... well, that's my happiness - but it is no more. I'm deeply saddened over the chilly relationship with Azamara, but it is beyond my control. I've accepted the reality of placing my passion and efforts elsewhere. Hopefully, it will improve someday, but then again... I always try to remain optimistic.

We'll just have to wait to see what Bonnie has to say on the matter.

Andy, it seems that your previous warm relationship with Azamara and the ability to help forum members is no longer the case, and like you, I am sad about that and wonder why it has changed? Surely AZ management realise that it makes for good business sense to have the forum host onboard.....excuse the pun! But then, I suppose AZ management has never been renowned for it's good business sense has it! :rolleyes:

As to the long period out yet again for Quest in 2016 and for whatever reason that may be, I am very disappointed. It is time to return to Oceania and maybe try Viking in 2015/2016 I think.

Historically this was the sort of issue that was responded to quickly on these boards and we really appreciated it thanks Andy. Whilst it is relatively far out many make plans this far ahead. Bonnie we would all appreciate a prompt update thanks

Edited by uktog

I agree Uktog. The officers comments make zero sense. Both ships should be able to handle charters with ease. Journey's crew is excellent. Coupled with their outstanding officers, I'm sure they can adapt to a charter situation.

But can we?

I will bet the ranch that all the charters are a precursor to the sale of the ships.

If you have to depend on charters to survive, the end can't be far away.

This has happened many times in the industry.

I hope you are wrong. This would be very very sad

I will bet the ranch that all the charters are a precursor to the sale of the ships.

If you have to depend on charters to survive, the end can't be far away.

This has happened many times in the industry.

I look forward to living in that ranch

Ever thought developing the charter business model was a precursor to the commissioning of new ships?

By the way I do not have the same historical knowledge you do, can you tell me all the lines the charter model was the precursor to demise?

Hi everyone,

My husband called the corporate office again this morning and they confirmed that a charter is the reason for the cancellations.

I am not surprised but I will not be booking on Azamara again. Time to go back to Oceania or ?. Sadly, I doubt that the itinerary from Amsterdam to Barcelona will ever be duplicated.

Good luck to all, I feel your pain.

Edited by calicatt