Don't even know where to start-Breakaway out of NY

mitsugirly

We have a party of 10 that we need to find a hotel for all of us. I'm not sure any hotel out there will allow us to maybe get 2 rooms and break up into 5 per room? The only hotels we have ever ran across that allows this is usually Springhill. After checking their website, it doesn't look like it will accommodate 5 (or the normal 6) people.

So I don't even know where to start with a decent hotel, good location, not too expensive (I know, HA) and within walking distance to a place to eat (cheap, fast food) and somewhere to get pop (soda).

We are cruising the first week of October if that helps.

I also have no idea how things work here and how you get from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruiseport.

I have seen mention of some staying in New Jersey? Is that really close enough to stay and be going to NY cruise port? How would you get transportation there and the cost?

Thanks in advance...I'm so lost. :o

We have a party of 10 that we need to find a hotel for all of us. I'm not sure any hotel out there will allow us to maybe get 2 rooms and break up into 5 per room? The only hotels we have ever ran across that allows this is usually Springhill. After checking their website, it doesn't look like it will accommodate 5 (or the normal 6) people.

So I don't even know where to start with a decent hotel, good location, not too expensive (I know, HA) and within walking distance to a place to eat (cheap, fast food) and somewhere to get pop (soda).

We are cruising the first week of October if that helps.

I also have no idea how things work here and how you get from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruiseport.

I have seen mention of some staying in New Jersey? Is that really close enough to stay and be going to NY cruise port? How would you get transportation there and the cost?

Thanks in advance...I'm so lost. :o

Please answer ALL these questions so we can give you the best advice for your group.

What is your hotel budget? What is your exact date? Can your group share rooms with two double beds? Are you planning any sightseeing in New York?

The NY Metro area is expensive. Manhattan hotels are expensive. There are very few hotels that offer rooms for 5 people. Flying into Newark airport gives you the most transportation and hotel options. The airport hotels and some downtown Newark hotels offer free shuttles, but the vans are often small and might not accommodate 10 people at once.

If you don't stay in Manhattan, fulfilling ALL these requirements may be difficult -decent hotel, good location, not too expensive (I know, HA) and within walking distance to a place to eat (cheap, fast food) and somewhere to get pop (soda). "decent hotel" is probably the easiest. Walking distance to cheap fast food and somewhere to get soda could be difficult.

IMO flying into Newark Airport will give you the most hotel and public transit options into Manhattan.

Check flights from your home airport to Newark (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA) and Kennedy (JFK). I'd pick whichever airport had the cheapest non-stop flights.

If you fly into LGA or JFK, you could stay in Long Island City, Queens, a short subway ride from Manhattan sightseeing. Home2Suites and Country Inn & Suites are 2 conveniently located options.

If you do stay in Manhattan, it is easy to get from either LGA or JFK using public transportation--but you have decide if you want to haul cruise luggage on trains/buses.

You could get quotes for 10 people from car services such as Dial 7, Carmel, Allstate.

In Manhattan, Radio City Apartments is often reasonably priced and offers larger spaces.

Please answer ALL these questions so we can give you the best advice for your group.

What is your hotel budget? We don't really have a "budget" but some it doesn't quite matter too much to others that will be sharing rooms to save money because they need the cheapest room they can get and on a tight budget. What is your exact date? Oct 4th. Can your group share rooms with two double beds? We can absolutely share rooms and that's what we were hoping to do. However, sharing a room would consist of 5 people in a room (4 adults and 1 child per room) and that's the problem. Otherwise, we would have to get 3 rooms and that's not really sharing because that's each family having to pay for their own room. Are you planning any sightseeing in New York? Very doubtful. Some are flying in and others are driving so I doubt they will want to do much once they get in and will be tired.

The NY Metro area is expensive. Manhattan hotels are expensive. There are very few hotels that offer rooms for 5 people. Are there any? Flying into Newark airport gives you the most transportation and hotel options. Is it cheaper in this area compard to the other areas? The airport hotels and some downtown Newark hotels offer free shuttles, but the vans are often small and might not accommodate 10 people at once. We will only need airport shuttle for a few of us since some will be driving in.

How far away is this Newark area from the cruise port?

If you don't stay in Manhattan, fulfilling ALL these requirements may be difficult -decent hotel, good location, not too expensive (I know, HA) and within walking distance to a place to eat (cheap, fast food) and somewhere to get pop (soda). "decent hotel" is probably the easiest. Walking distance to cheap fast food and somewhere to get soda could be difficult.

Since some of our party is deciding to drive, we might not actually need a place to get pop, they can just bring it with them. I hear that driving in NY is super crazy and non-stop traffic at a dead stop a lot of the times, so it would still be nice to walk some where to eat that evening. Plus we will need a place to have lunch once those of us that come in by plane arrive. (Even if the hotel has a restaurant on site would be good).

IMO flying into Newark Airport will give you the most hotel and public transit options into Manhattan.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Everything in NYC starts with a hotel budget. The second big consideration is the cost of lodging the car(s) for one night precruise and 7 nights cruising. It will cost about $330 per car for parking - $50 precruise and $280 for the cruise.

Manhattan hotels by Marriott for 5 people are showing starting at $500 plus tax. Is that the price range you really had in mind?

I appreciate that you want to do 5+5, but when you look at the big picture including parking, that might not be the best or most economical option. Have you considered a park/sleep at Newark airport to minimize the car parking and hotel cost?

If some folks are driving in, then IMO Newark airport is your best option if you want to keep the cars out of NYC.

Everything in NYC starts with a hotel budget. The second big consideration is the cost of lodging the car(s) for one night precruise and 7 nights cruising. It will cost about $330 per car for parking - $50 precruise and $280 for the cruise.

Manhattan hotels by Marriott for 5 people are showing starting at $500 plus tax. Is that the price range you really had in mind?

I appreciate that you want to do 5+5, but when you look at the big picture including parking, that might not be the best or most economical option. Have you considered a park/sleep at Newark airport to minimize the car parking and hotel cost?

If some folks are driving in, then IMO Newark airport is your best option if you want to keep the cars out of NYC.

We really have no idea what to expect for pricing on hotels or parking, so can't really give a price range. The cheaper the better of course.

Where is this parking for $330 at? What is the $50 pre cruise parking for? Are you saying that the hotels don't allow you to park at their place for free while you are staying there? I'm confused.

Nope $500 isn't anywhere near what we want to pay. Not at all. Way too much for 5 people IMO. Just saying.

We haven't considered anything as of yet because we have no idea where to start looking, which is why I started this post. I'm completely lost.

So I should start looking in the Newark area I take it. (Including flights there as well). We should find a hotel in that area that allows them to park their vehicle there (for free?) during our over night stay. Then just drive to the port the next morning and park at the port? Is that correct? So the port parking is $280? Are there any other cost involved? Are there any tolls you have to pay for along the way? How far is this Newark area from the cruise port?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it. :)

Check flights from your home airport to Newark (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA) and Kennedy (JFK). I'd pick whichever airport had the cheapest non-stop flights.

If you fly into LGA or JFK, you could stay in Long Island City, Queens, a short subway ride from Manhattan sightseeing. Home2Suites and Country Inn & Suites are 2 conveniently located options.

If you do stay in Manhattan, it is easy to get from either LGA or JFK using public transportation--but you have decide if you want to haul cruise luggage on trains/buses.

You could get quotes for 10 people from car services such as Dial 7, Carmel, Allstate.

In Manhattan, Radio City Apartments is often reasonably priced and offers larger spaces.

Oh gosh, I didn't realize there were actually 3 airports there to pick from. I didn't see any non stop flights to the 2 I looked at. They all go to Chicago first and then on to NY. I'll have to check again.

Hauling cruise luggage is not really something I want to do with a young child.

I'm thinking since half of our party will be driving in, we'll probably all pile in their vehicle to get to the port and save some $$ on a taxi cost (or however you get there from the aiport).

So I should start looking in the Newark area I take it. (Including flights there as well). We should find a hotel in that area that allows them to park their vehicle there (for free?) during our over night stay. Then just drive to the port the next morning and park at the port? Is that correct? So the port parking is $280? Are there any other cost involved? Are there any tolls you have to pay for along the way? How far is this Newark area from the cruise port?

You can also check out the Secacus area. It looks like both the Giants and Jets are away that weekend so could be an option. There is a la Quinta that may work. Panera close by for food and a Walmart for your soda.

We really have no idea what to expect for pricing on hotels or parking, so can't really give a price range. The cheaper the better of course.

Where is this parking for $330 at? What is the $50 pre cruise parking for? Are you saying that the hotels don't allow you to park at their place for free while you are staying there? I'm confused.

Nope $500 isn't anywhere near what we want to pay. Not at all. Way too much for 5 people IMO. Just saying.

We haven't considered anything as of yet because we have no idea where to start looking, which is why I started this post. I'm completely lost.

Manhattan hotels do not offer free parking. $50/night would be a ballpark estimate. Parking at the Cruiseport is 7x$40 or $280 for a 7 day cruise/car. Can 10 people and luggage fit in the cars you will have? Tunnel toll is $14 inbound and $0 outbound. Turnpike tolls each way would be $2.15-$3.60 depending on the exits you travel.

Newark Airport is about 15 miles from Manhattan.

Many airport hotels charge for parking in the $15 range. Check the website for details.

For your group I would look at the Marriott properties first for 5 people. Springhill Suites offers free breakfast. Courtyard Elizabeth (no free breakfast) on Glimcher Realty Way is near the Jersey Gardens Mall which offers several chain restaurants and a food court.

Oh gosh, I didn't realize there were actually 3 airports there to pick from. I didn't see any non stop flights to the 2 I looked at. They all go to Chicago first and then on to NY. I'll have to check again.

Hauling cruise luggage is not really something I want to do with a young child.

I'm thinking since half of our party will be driving in, we'll probably all pile in their vehicle to get to the port and save some $$ on a taxi cost (or however you get there from the aiport).

Secaucus is also a fine choice, but there are no free airport shuttles. The folks flying in will have to pay $60 to get there unless the folks driving have already arrived and can drive down to pick them up.

You can also check out the Secacus area. It looks like both the Giants and Jets are away that weekend so could be an option. There is a la Quinta that may work. Panera close by for food and a Walmart for your soda.

I checked La Quinta $289

I did a search for "Secacus" area hotels and have found them for as low as $91 to 189

Manhattan hotels do not offer free parking. $50/night would be a ballpark estimate. Parking at the Cruiseport is 7x$40 or $280 for a 7 day cruise/car. Can 10 people and luggage fit in the cars you will have? Tunnel toll is $14 inbound and $0 outbound. Turnpike tolls each way would be $2.15-$3.60 depending on the exits you travel.

Newark Airport is about 15 miles from Manhattan.

Many airport hotels charge for parking in the $15 range. Check the website for details.

For your group I would look at the Marriott properties first for 5 people. Springhill Suites offers free breakfast. Courtyard Elizabeth (no free breakfast) on Glimcher Realty Way is near the Jersey Gardens Mall which offers several chain restaurants and a food court.

GASP...YOU ARE MY HERO (well at least I think...so far). :D I'm looking up each hotel one by one and got to the Courtyard Elizabeth and it allows UP TO 6 PEOPLE in the room and it's only $189. :eek:

Please tell me more about this area. Is it far away from the airport? The cruiseport?

***editing to say***

Hotel parking is only $15 for the night and they also offer free shuttle from the airport.

Edited by mitsugirly

Secaucus is also a fine choice, but there are no free airport shuttles. The folks flying in will have to pay $60 to get there unless the folks driving have already arrived and can drive down to pick them up.

Actually we have discussed this. Them leaving early in the morning and us on the flight later and arriving around the same time. So I won't rule it out quite yet. :D

But good to know the pricing to the hotel if we do need transportation. I really don't want to have to pay that if it can be avoided or we find another hotel that offers it for free.

GASP...YOU ARE MY HERO (well at least I think...so far). :D I'm looking up each hotel one by one and got to the Courtyard Elizabeth and it allows UP TO 6 PEOPLE in the room and it's only $189. :eek:

Please tell me more about this area. Is it far away from the airport? The cruiseport?

***editing to say***

Hotel parking is only $15 for the night and they also offer free shuttle from the airport.

Grab this hotel immediately. It meets all your requirements and we often recommend it for Cape Liberty cruisers.

Free hotel shuttle from the airport.

Hotel rooms for 5-6 are scarce

Easy on/easy off from Exit 13A of the NJ Turnpike

Glimcher Realty Way is the only hotel area at the airport that offers a selection of restaurants and fast food - Courtyard has its own restaurant. Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP are across the street. Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and the food court are across the street at the Jersey Gardens Mall, which is walkable from the hotel.

The only negative I can think of is that the hotel charges for parking.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective about where you stay.

On a Sunday morning it should be no more than a 45 minute drive to the Cruiseport. Exit 13A on the NJ turnpike north to exit 16E Lincoln Tunnel (center tunnel or left lane if the right tunnel) to follow the sign uptown on 12th Ave to the Cruiseport.

carol, they are not cruising from cape liberty, but port of ny. they are going on norwegian breakaway.

Carol knows that. Read her posts carefully.

Try the last paragraph of her last post for example. It gives directions to get from the hotel in NJ to the Manhattan Cruise terminal.

"On a Sunday morning it should be no more than a 45 minute drive to the Cruiseport. Exit 13A on the NJ turnpike north to exit 16E Lincoln Tunnel (center tunnel or left lane if the right tunnel) to follow the sign uptown on 12th Ave to the Cruiseport."

Edited by njhorseman

Grab this hotel immediately. It meets all your requirements and we often recommend it for Cape Liberty cruisers.

Free hotel shuttle from the airport.

Hotel rooms for 5-6 are scarce

Easy on/easy off from Exit 13A of the NJ Turnpike

Glimcher Realty Way is the only hotel area at the airport that offers a selection of restaurants and fast food - Courtyard has its own restaurant. Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP are across the street. Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and the food court are across the street at the Jersey Gardens Mall, which is walkable from the hotel.

The only negative I can think of is that the hotel charges for parking.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective about where you stay.

On a Sunday morning it should be no more than a 45 minute drive to the Cruiseport. Exit 13A on the NJ turnpike north to exit 16E Lincoln Tunnel (center tunnel or left lane if the right tunnel) to follow the sign uptown on 12th Ave to the Cruiseport.

This all sounds like a perfect fit with all the restaurants in the area. Perfect for us. I don't think the $15 parking over night will be a problem. That's not much at all and I'm pretty sure they'd go for that. :D

"Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective about where you stay." So are you saying that the location of this hotel is an acceptable place then since you said to book it? I just want to make sure we aren't going to be stuck in a bad neighborhood with kids or one that we're afraid to walk outside if you know what I mean. :o

87 Glimcher Realty Way

Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Get on NJ-81 S from Jersey Garden Blvd W

Take I-95 N to I-78 E in Manhattan, New York

Drive to NY-9A S

711 12th Ave

Those are the directions that googlemaps gives us. I assume yours is easier or quicker?

It states that it's around 19 miles and 52 minutes away (or 38 minutues with no traffic <---is there such thing as "no" traffic in this area LOL).

Are there any tolls along either of these routes that I should be aware of?

Thanks so much for your help. It is SO appreciated!

carol, they are not cruising from cape liberty, but port of ny. they are going on norwegian breakaway.

She knows that. :) She even gave me directions from there to the NY cruise pier.

One last question...

IF we booked this place and we CAN'T ride with some of the others driving in (it may be a little too crowded) then who would we use to get to the port? Would we have to take a taxi there? How much would that cost? Are these regular car taxi's or do they have the van taxi's?

Is there any type of shuttle service that does this like you find in FLL-Miami? Cost?

Things are looking even better...Embassy Suites, located right beside there offers 5 in a room for only $169 and these are suites with a bedroom with 2 beds and a livingroom with a sofa bed in a different area.

It ALSO offers free parking and they also stated you can park your vehicle there for the week for FREE! It also has an indoor pool as well. AND free breakfast and it also mentions free "complimentary drinks"...whatever that is. :p

Any details on this place that you know of? The hotel looks really nice and with it being right there with the other hotel, it has the same amenities with food choices. :D

One last question...

IF we booked this place and we CAN'T ride with some of the others driving in (it may be a little too crowded) then who would we use to get to the port? Would we have to take a taxi there? How much would that cost? Are these regular car taxi's or do they have the van taxi's?

Is there any type of shuttle service that does this like you find in FLL-Miami? Cost?

The most often recommended car services are Carmel Limo and Dial7. You can get quotes for both through their web pages. They have different sized vehicles, so be sure to price one van versus two sedans, for instance.

I'm hoping you've booked the hotel. That rate might not last...

The most often recommended car services are Carmel Limo and Dial7. You can get quotes for both through their web pages. They have different sized vehicles, so be sure to price one van versus two sedans, for instance.

I'm hoping you've booked the hotel. That rate might not last...

We were going to but found that it's even cheaper at the Embassay Suites next door, which includes even more "free" items...breakfast, drinks and snacks in the afternoon, and they "said" over the phone free parking...including during the stay during the cruise??? :confused:

I did find the Dial7 transportation. I also found that they can't transport 10 people, so may have to do 2 vehicles.

I will check with Carmel Limo. Thanks for the info.

Things are looking even better...Embassy Suites, located right beside there offers 5 in a room for only $169 and these are suites with a bedroom with 2 beds and a livingroom with a sofa bed in a different area.

It ALSO offers free parking and they also stated you can park your vehicle there for the week for FREE! It also has an indoor pool as well. AND free breakfast and it also mentions free "complimentary drinks"...whatever that is. :p

Any details on this place that you know of? The hotel looks really nice and with it being right there with the other hotel, it has the same amenities with food choices. :D

Embassy suites would be fine as well. Quite franky I'm skeptical about the free parking for the week. Please confirm that with the hotel and get it in writing.

Complimentary drinks is a happy hour in the late afternoon.

Embassy suites would be fine as well. Quite franky I'm skeptical about the free parking for the week. Please confirm that with the hotel and get it in writing.

Complimentary drinks is a happy hour in the late afternoon.

I'm a little skeptical about the free week parking as well. But my daughter called and ask about it and that's what they told her. I plan on trying to call again tomorrow just to see what they tell me as well (since I'll probably get a different employee). Then if they say the same thing, I'll email to get it in writing (because I'm not really sure how else I would get it in writing? :confused:

I did see they had a "made to order" hot breakfast (free) and the free happy hour with drinks and snacks. It almost sounds like Drury in NOLA to me. We really enjoyed it there. Hopefully this place will work out...if we could just secure transportation. :o

The Embassy Suites on Glimcher has a oark n cruise rate...it is on their site, you just have to look for it....but in the 411 thread i think i linked it. rate includes room, parking and shuttle...

BTW i tnk they may still have free parking,,,,the rest of the hotels there charge.

that ES is gorgeous,,,,does. not look like your average ES.....lovely rooms, and nice staff