Don't even know where to start-Breakaway out of NY

mitsugirly

mitsu,

look at their website....any parking charges will be disclosed....but check out the park n cruise. Or call, ask for a manager and see what he/she can arrange....

I toured and spoke with people there, shortly after it opened maybe a year ago....they did not have the cruise deal at the time, seems to be a recent, within the few months (or less) addition to the rates offered....

Carol knows that. Read her posts carefully.

Try the last paragraph of her last post for example. It gives directions to get from the hotel in NJ to the Manhattan Cruise terminal.

"On a Sunday morning it should be no more than a 45 minute drive to the Cruiseport. Exit 13A on the NJ turnpike north to exit 16E Lincoln Tunnel (center tunnel or left lane if the right tunnel) to follow the sign uptown on 12th Ave to the Cruiseport."

oops ;9 sorry

Transportation - try calling Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Directions - I78 is the Holland Tunnel. This would involve driving up West Street and 12th Ave in Manhattan. For out of towners I would recommend the Lincoln Tunnel on a Sunday morning, which is the lowest traffic time of the week. It's much harder to get lost on that route.

Hi,

I was just looking for hotels for our upcoming stay and came across this one that specifically says they allow 5/room and has a free breakfast. It is really close to a Super Walmart (I used google earth) as well as many restaurants. Free parking during your stay and about 20-30 minutes to the port. (I can tell you for sure in a couple weeks if we stay there!)

Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands

575 Park Plaza Dr, Secaucus, NJ, 07094

Check it out and see if it meets the rest of your needs. The 5/room jumped out at me.

Amy

I'm a little skeptical about the free week parking as well. But my daughter called and ask about it and that's what they told her. I plan on trying to call again tomorrow just to see what they tell me as well (since I'll probably get a different employee). Then if they say the same thing, I'll email to get it in writing (because I'm not really sure how else I would get it in writing? :confused:

I did see they had a "made to order" hot breakfast (free) and the free happy hour with drinks and snacks. It almost sounds like Drury in NOLA to me. We really enjoyed it there. Hopefully this place will work out...if we could just secure transportation. :o

I just got off the phone with the Embassy Suites in NJ and they told me they do have the stay, park & cruise deals. I was originally quoted $229 for one night and then mentioned that I had AAA and that brought my rate down to $192.

The girl on the phone told me this rate included free parking for our 9 day cruise with free R/T transportation to and from Cape Liberty for our family of 4.

I know you mentioned that you would be going on the Breakaway so I'm not 100% sure if this deal would apply to you.

But I will say the hotel looks beautiful and clean from all the pictures that I have seen. I also like that the rooms are suites meaning we can have a separate sleeping area from our kids. The hot breakfast in the morning is also a plus. :)

I will come back and let you know about our experience once we return from our cruise.

Have fun on the Breakaway!! :D

Transportation - try calling Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Directions - I78 is the Holland Tunnel. This would involve driving up West Street and 12th Ave in Manhattan. For out of towners I would recommend the Lincoln Tunnel on a Sunday morning, which is the lowest traffic time of the week. It's much harder to get lost on that route.

I will check into Independent driver. Thank you!

I will copy down your directions in case they decide not to leave their vehicle at the hotel and decide to drive to the port. Thanks for the clarification. You're awesome! :)

We live about 10 miles from the port, in NJ, and two cars was cheaper than a 10 passenger van.

I'm finding the same thing. I did contact them to find out why it's not letting me put 10 people in the biggest vehicle with luggage for each person (even though it states it will hold up to 13 people) and they emailed me back to say it was a computer glitch and that I could call to book with them with no problem. So, we'll figure it out if we go with the places mentioned before. :)

Hi,

I was just looking for hotels for our upcoming stay and came across this one that specifically says they allow 5/room and has a free breakfast. It is really close to a Super Walmart (I used google earth) as well as many restaurants. Free parking during your stay and about 20-30 minutes to the port. (I can tell you for sure in a couple weeks if we stay there!)

Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands

575 Park Plaza Dr, Secaucus, NJ, 07094

Check it out and see if it meets the rest of your needs. The 5/room jumped out at me.

Amy

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out and see if it fits our needs and budget. I appreciate it.

I just got off the phone with the Embassy Suites in NJ and they told me they do have the stay, park & cruise deals. I was originally quoted $229 for one night and then mentioned that I had AAA and that brought my rate down to $192.

The girl on the phone told me this rate included free parking for our 9 day cruise with free R/T transportation to and from Cape Liberty for our family of 4.

I know you mentioned that you would be going on the Breakaway so I'm not 100% sure if this deal would apply to you.

But I will say the hotel looks beautiful and clean from all the pictures that I have seen. I also like that the rooms are suites meaning we can have a separate sleeping area from our kids. The hot breakfast in the morning is also a plus. :)

I will come back and let you know about our experience once we return from our cruise.

Have fun on the Breakaway!! :D

Yea, we will be cruising out of the Manhattan port, so it wouldn't include transportation to the cruise port for us. Maybe that's the difference and why they said that we could leave the vehicle there during the cruise (because we won't need their transportation service).

I do like the fact that it's a suite as well...especially if we are going to be bunking with my grown children and their significant other too. :)

Please do let me know your experience when you return (although I'm pretty sure I will be booked by then, but would like to know).

Kim, we have stayed at the Embassy pre-cruise and would highly recommend it. We left our car there at no charge on our last Breakaway cruise.

Leslie

That's awesome to hear. Did you do the park/cruise package as others have mentioned? Or was this just coming in and keeping your car there with the regular room pricing? :confused:

It was the park/cruise package which included transportation to the pier, which was an Escalade for just the two of us. We were responsible for the return to the Embassy. We made arrangements with the gentleman who dropped us off, the return was easy and he charged us 65.00

Time out folks. Please be sure you are talking about the same Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites at Newark airport has just started to offer a park/cruise package with round trip transportation to Cape Liberty in Bayonne. The Embassy Suites in Secaucus has offered a cruise package for the Manhattan Cruiseport for a while that includes parking and one way transportation to Manhattan with an option to book a return trip ($65 sounds about right).

Time out folks. Please be sure you are talking about the same Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites at Newark airport has just started to offer a park/cruise package with round trip transportation to Cape Liberty in Bayonne. The Embassy Suites in Secaucus has offered a cruise package for the Manhattan Cruiseport for a while that includes parking and one way transportation to Manhattan with an option to book a return trip ($65 sounds about right).

I think we are talking about the same Embassy. I'm talking about the one in Newark, which gives the park/cruise package to Cape Liberty. I believe that's what they were talking about too? Especially since they mentioned the package and they took them to that cruise port but wasn't sure if it would work for us (because we are cruising out of Manhattan). Or am I totally misunderstanding? :confused:

I think we are talking about the same Embassy. I'm talking about the one in Newark, which gives the park/cruise package to Cape Liberty. I believe that's what they were talking about too? Especially since they mentioned the package and they took them to that cruise port but wasn't sure if it would work for us (because we are cruising out of Manhattan). Or am I totally misunderstanding? :confused:

Les Bill specifically mentioned sailing on the Breakaway which sails from Manhattan. The Secaucus Embassy suites provides a cruise package with parking and a one way transfer to the Manhattan cruiseport with the option to privately book a return transfer for an additional amount of money (about $65).

The Embassy Suites in Newark offers a cruise package with parking and round trip transportation to Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

Sorry for any confusion, we did stay at the Embassy in Secaucus. It was easy to get to and a 15-20 minute trip to Manhattan cruise port.

Thanks Les Bill. I was pretty sure you stayed in Secaucus, but the OP is not from the area and I wanted to clarify the different Embassy Suites locations for her.

Thanks Les Bill. I was pretty sure you stayed in Secaucus, but the OP is not from the area and I wanted to clarify the different Embassy Suites locations for her.

So would it make more sense to stay at this other location since they offer transportation to the Manhattan terminal? I will have to check into prices for that place too I guess.

Another question....my daughter and family are on a "mini trip" (only 1 hour from the port now lol) to pick up a mini-bus/shuttle for the trip (LOL) so that most of the family will be able to fit in it.

What type of parking situation are they going to run into with this thing? Will parking cost more at the port if they decide to do that instead of parking at one of the hotels? :confused:

So would it make more sense to stay at this other location since they offer transportation to the Manhattan terminal? I will have to check into prices for that place too I guess.

Another question....my daughter and family are on a "mini trip" (only 1 hour from the port now lol) to pick up a mini-bus/shuttle for the trip (LOL) so that most of the family will be able to fit in it.

What type of parking situation are they going to run into with this thing? Will parking cost more at the port if they decide to do that instead of parking at one of the hotels? :confused:

The package at Embassy Suites Secaucus includes one way transportation to the port for up to 4 people per suite. You have to make your own arrangements on your dime for return transportation to the hotel.

I don't know what you mean by "mini-bus/shuttle". Do you have a more exact description of the vehicle? Vehicle make/model?

There's an 8 ft. 3 in. height maximum to park your vehicle at the cruise terminal. The parking lot is open air on the roof of the pier but you have to pass under some overhead signage to get there, hence the height restriction.

At the cruise terminal they don't charge anything extra for typical SUVs or pickup trucks, but if this is a big vehicle they might charge more, or not even permit it. And if you're considering parking off site, forget about parking an oversize vehicle at parking garages in NY City. Some garages won't take them, and if the garage allows them they often tack on a substantial surcharge.

If I were you I would contact the cruise terminal to get an answer to your question, but have precise information about the vehicle, not a vague description:

Contact Us

For Ports America (Terminal Operator) Parking Information, call (212) 641-4454 or email MCT@nycedc.com.

Edited by njhorseman

So would it make more sense to stay at this other location since they offer transportation to the Manhattan terminal? I will have to check into prices for that place too I guess. getting to the Embassy Suites in Secaucus requires a cab or car service from Newark Airport to Secaucus. You pay for the Manhattan transportation in the room rate and you have to pay to get back to the hotel.

Could you be more specific about the exact type of vehicle so folks can comment about whether it could be parked at the Manhattan Cruiseport? I've only parked there once and my impression was that the parking could accommodate large SUV's, vans, or pickups, but might not be suitable for a mini-bus/shuttle.

Where are they planning to drive this vehicle from? I'm a little confused about your latest question.

The package at Embassy Suites Secaucus includes one way transportation to the port for up to 4 people per suite. You have to make your own arrangements on your dime for return transportation to the hotel.

I don't know what you mean by "mini-bus/shuttle". Do you have a more exact description of the vehicle? Vehicle make/model?

There's an 8 ft. 3 in. height maximum to park your vehicle at the cruise terminal. The parking lot is open air on the roof of the pier but you have to pass under some overhead signage to get there, hence the height restriction.

At the cruise terminal they don't charge anything extra for typical SUVs or pickup trucks, but if this is a big vehicle they might charge more, or not even permit it. And if you're considering parking off site, forget about parking an oversize vehicle at parking garages in NY City. Some garages won't take them, and if the garage allows them they often tack on a substantial surcharge.

If I were you I would contact the cruise terminal to get an answer to your question, but have precise information about the vehicle, not a vague description:

Contact Us

For Ports America (Terminal Operator) Parking Information, call (212) 641-4454 or email MCT@nycedc.com.

Could you be more specific about the exact type of vehicle so folks can comment about whether it could be parked at the Manhattan Cruiseport? I've only parked there once and my impression was that the parking could accommodate large SUV's, vans, or pickups, but might not be suitable for a mini-bus/shuttle.

Where are they planning to drive this vehicle from? I'm a little confused about your latest question.

I will have to have them measure it when they get back. They are on their way back from Philadelphia with it at the moment. I'll have to post from my phone the picture they sent me of it.

It's like a shuttle bus. Like what you take from some of the hotels or on a tour.

They are driving this vehicle from their house to the hotel in NJ and then "maybe" to the cruise port if it's allowed. If not, they'll have to make other arrangements I guess.

That looks pretty big.

I'm still confused. Is this for the cruise you've been asking about in Oct or another cruise? If it's for another cruise, which port are they sailing from?

We only have 1 cruise booked...the Getaway out of New York. :confused: So now I'm confused why you would think it's for something else? Did I say something confusing? If so, I'm so sorry.

This is to take all the family members that were going to drive to the BA cruise out of NY. That way they are all riding together and not crammed in small vehicles or a van with luggage. It holds 13 people. So now everyone is all riding together there.

We will just need to find out about parking this baby somewhere now. :p

....my daughter and family are on a "mini trip" (only 1 hour from the port now lol) to pick up a mini-bus/shuttle for the trip (LOL) so that most of the family will be able to fit in it.

I'm confused, too. This is July and your trip is in October. Why are they picking up the shuttle bus now? Did they purchase it?