Don't even know where to start-Breakaway out of NY

mitsugirly

I'm confused, too. This is July and your trip is in October. Why are they picking up the shuttle bus now? Did they purchase it?

Yes, they went to buy it for the trip and are currently on their way back home with it right now. They found it listed on Craigslist and went there to purchase it. Why would they need to wait until October to buy something for the trip? If they found something they liked that would work, why not purchase it now? :confused:

I can't imagine being able to park that at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (nor would I personally want to drive it in Manhattan). And I don't know if your Jersey based hotel will let you park it for a week either; I'd be asking that question soon.

Once you move beyond a simple passenger vehicle, everything that's been posted about tolls, parking, etc., kind of goes out the window. You'll probably need a commercial EZ Pass, not a passenger car EZ Pass for NJ Turnpike (and PA Turnpike if you're coming that way), and the tunnel tolls.

Hopefully that doesn't complicate rather than simplify the plans, but I'm concerned it will.

Yes, they went to buy it for the trip and are currently on their way back home with it right now. They found it listed on Craigslist and went there to purchase it. Why would they need to wait until October to buy something for the trip? If they found something they liked that would work, why not purchase it now? :confused:

I'm stunned. They went out and purchased a small bus for this trip without even investigating the feasibility of driving and parking it in Manhattan for a cruise?

I think you're in trouble with that vehicle. Looks like a mini school bus and that will definitely be a problem parking for a week in NYC. Rather than mini van parking, this will be parking a motor home.

I think you're in trouble with that vehicle. Looks like a mini school bus and that will definitely be a problem parking for a week in NYC. Rather than mini van parking, this will be parking a motor home.

I just checked, and the secaucus walmart doesn't allow motorhome parking. I wouldn't be allowed to park that in my own driveway without a fine.

I can't imagine being able to park that at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (nor would I personally want to drive it in Manhattan). And I don't know if your Jersey based hotel will let you park it for a week either; I'd be asking that question soon.

Once you move beyond a simple passenger vehicle, everything that's been posted about tolls, parking, etc., kind of goes out the window. You'll probably need a commercial EZ Pass, not a passenger car EZ Pass for NJ Turnpike (and PA Turnpike if you're coming that way), and the tunnel tolls.

Hopefully that doesn't complicate rather than simplify the plans, but I'm concerned it will.

My daughter called today to inquire about parking at the hotel (she wasn't quite sure if she had the correct hotel and I wasn't at home to let her know), but they told her $15 per night for up to a van and $50 for anything bigger, after she explained what it was.

As far as the pass, they already purchased the EZ pass for it when they went and picked it up. So that's already taken care of.

I'm stunned. They went out and purchased a small bus for this trip without even investigating the feasibility of driving and parking it in Manhattan for a cruise?

Yep, that's just them. They will be able to use it for other things as well even if it comes down to not being able to use it for this trip, but I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work knowing them. They go places all the time, including a huge get together over the weekends for huge 4x4 trucks, 4 wheelers and so on...thousands of people come for the event and they can use it for that. If that blows your mind, just know that what they are currently using is an ambulance he purchased last year. He says he likes to be "different". :D They own a few car lots, so no biggie for them. When they're done with their "different" toys, they just sell them and get something else. :p

So then what's the difference when people use a motorhome then? Where would they park it? :confused:

I just checked, and the secaucus walmart doesn't allow motorhome parking. I wouldn't be allowed to park that in my own driveway without a fine.

Walmart? I'm confused. What does that have to do with parking at a hotel? We have semi's that park at several of our Walmarts here at home. LOL But I'm confused.

So then what's the difference when people use a motorhome then? Where would they park it? :confused:

Walmart? I'm confused. What does that have to do with parking at a hotel? We have semi's that park at several of our Walmarts here at home. LOL But I'm confused.

Some walmarts allow big vehicles to be parked free of charge, but apparently, not really in NJ. Most hotels in the area charge for parking a car. A vehicle such as the one you pictured is considered a commercial vehicle. A big vehicle here is a liability - no one wants it. Heck, I can't even park a car overnight on the street.

Not to be condescending or anything, but have you ever been to Manhattan???

Big vehicles get parked in Jersey and Queens. They may drive around Manhattan during the day, but they generally sleep off the island. Which is where that bus will have to stay as well. I believe someone posted earlier that there is a clearance limit for the garage as well, and I'd be more than a little bit concerned about that making the limit. Even if they'll let you park it. So, you'd be looking at $50/night, versus $30 for two minivans. And, you'll almost certainly need transportation to the cruise port for ten people and back. You'd need to check with the parking for the terminal, but you'd at least have a shot of parking a 12 passenger van.

As previously stated, big vehicles are a liability in this area. And that is a big vehicle!

Good luck!

Some walmarts allow big vehicles to be parked free of charge, but apparently, not really in NJ. Most hotels in the area charge for parking a car. A vehicle such as the one you pictured is considered a commercial vehicle. A big vehicle here is a liability - no one wants it. Heck, I can't even park a car overnight on the street.

Oh ok. I didn't know what you meant by bringing up Walmart. :)

Not to be condescending or anything, but have you ever been to Manhattan???

Big vehicles get parked in Jersey and Queens. They may drive around Manhattan during the day, but they generally sleep off the island. Which is where that bus will have to stay as well. I believe someone posted earlier that there is a clearance limit for the garage as well, and I'd be more than a little bit concerned about that making the limit. Even if they'll let you park it. So, you'd be looking at $50/night, versus $30 for two minivans. And, you'll almost certainly need transportation to the cruise port for ten people and back. You'd need to check with the parking for the terminal, but you'd at least have a shot of parking a 12 passenger van.

As previously stated, big vehicles are a liability in this area. And that is a big vehicle!

Good luck!

Nope, never been to any of the areas around here so I have no idea what it's like.

Yea, I don't think it would fit at the port, but that's not a problem.

She did call the correct hotel tonight after I gave her the information (this would be the 3rd call to them inquiring about parking there for the cruise) and she explained to them what they were driving in and they said "Oh, you have a bus", so they understood what she meant. They said their parking is all outside (no garage) and that they would have plenty of room for it and said she was welcome to leave it there for the cruise as well....for FREE. Just like they told her the other times she called. They said she would just have to park it in the parking lot in the back behind the hotel since it was a bus and there would be no problem.

So I guess the only problem that remains is getting a shuttle to the port itself. Fingers crossed. :o

Nope, never been to any of the areas around here so I have no idea what it's like.

Found this video of a roller coaster ride up the NJ Turnpike. It gives an idea of the Newark Airport area.

Zoom in on this map to see the massive road and ramp system on the north side near I78. Embassy Suites is on the southeast side near the Jersey Gardens Mall south of IKEA on the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114/@40.6875663,-74.1661176,14z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286?hl=en

Found this video of a roller coaster ride up the NJ Turnpike. It gives an idea of the Newark Airport area.

Zoom in on this map to see the massive road and ramp system on the north side near I78. Embassy Suites is on the southeast side near the Jersey Gardens Mall south of IKEA on the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114/@40.6875663,-74.1661176,14z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286?hl=en

Oh my gosh. All I could think of is...this guy is going to end up killing someone and 2) that little red vw bug is giving him a run for his money. LOL

So yea, now I'm totally not even wanting to sail out of this port after looking at all this. :eek: I was considering maybe riding with the rest of the family and saving about $1000, but I think I would be an absolute nervous wreck after seeing this. :o

Oh my gosh. All I could think of is...this guy is going to end up killing someone and 2) that little red vw bug is giving him a run for his money. LOL

So yea, now I'm totally not even wanting to sail out of this port after looking at all this. :eek: I was considering maybe riding with the rest of the family and saving about $1000, but I think I would be an absolute nervous wreck after seeing this. :o

Well, the video is at super fast speed to create an unnatural effect. The Newark area is a highly urban industrialized area boasting a 12 lane turnpike. Just wait till you actually see Manhattan. There's a reason folks hire car services and take public transit and don't drive their own miniature buses in this area.

Well, the video is at super fast speed to create an unnatural effect. The Newark area is a highly urban industrialized area boasting a 12 lane turnpike. Just wait till you actually see Manhattan. There's a reason folks hire car services and take public transit and don't drive their own miniature buses in this area.

But she won't even have to experience CROSSTOWN traffic :)!

I would avoid all the logistics and just drive, from Columbus it is 8-8 1/2 hours.

We went out of NY in spring of 2013, drove from Cleveland and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in North Bergen which is a 10-15 minute drive to the port. I think the hotel was around $130. Parked at Park Right which was about $27/day and is a 5 minute walk to port, did not even bother with a cab. We did the walk off with our luggage and were on the road home within 20 minutes of the ship being cleared by customs.

Driving in the city was a non-event on Sunday morning. We drove down past the 9/11 memorial to battery park, down Park Ave, down 5th Ave along Central Park and there was little traffic. It was Easter Sunday, but I was also there in Sept 2011 and drove by the 9/11 memorial site and traffic was about the same.

For folks driving in from the west, we recommend getting a hotel in the Parsipanny NJ area (Hotwire works really well with these hotels). It is a much more suburban area with nice business hotels, restaurants, shopping, and services. Rates are always good on a Sat night. The drive to the Manhattan pier on a Sunday morning is very easy and traffic free via the Henry Hudson Parkway. There is no NYC street driving on this route because the HH Parkway ends at the pier.

For folks driving in from the west, we recommend getting a hotel in the Parsipanny NJ area (Hotwire works really well with these hotels). It is a much more suburban area with nice business hotels, restaurants, shopping, and services. Rates are always good on a Sat night. The drive to the Manhattan pier on a Sunday morning is very easy and traffic free via the Henry Hudson Parkway. There is no NYC street driving on this route because the HH Parkway ends at the pier.

I've been reading the posts and you are so helpful Carol! Hope you can help my family out a bit.

We have a cruise (NCL Breakaway) sailing out of the Manhattan port in March. We were planning on driving from Ottawa, Canada (about a 6.5 - 7hr drive) but figured we'd break it up into 2 days so we can have a full day in NYC on the Saturday. So we'll be leaving on Friday after work/school, staying in Binghamton, NY and then driving to our NJ hotel the next morning.

We'd like a hotel that would allow us to leave our car there while we're on the cruise, assuming it's cheaper than leaving it at the pier. I'd prefer a built up area but we really don't need to have a lot around the hotel since we don't plan on sticking around there... we want to take the kids to see Times Square and all that Manhattan has to offer! :) We're not looking for 5 star accommodations here but I do want some place that is newer (or newly renovated rooms) that's clean and easy enough to get to, and fairly easy to get into NYC using public transit.

So with that said, do you have any recommendations? Would Parsipanny or Secaucus be better for us?

Thanks!!

Chantal

I've been reading the posts and you are so helpful Carol! Hope you can help my family out a bit.

We have a cruise (NCL Breakaway) sailing out of the Manhattan port in March. We were planning on driving from Ottawa, Canada (about a 6.5 - 7hr drive) but figured we'd break it up into 2 days so we can have a full day in NYC on the Saturday. So we'll be leaving on Friday after work/school, staying in Binghamton, NY and then driving to our NJ hotel the next morning.

We'd like a hotel that would allow us to leave our car there while we're on the cruise, assuming it's cheaper than leaving it at the pier. I'd prefer a built up area but we really don't need to have a lot around the hotel since we don't plan on sticking around there... we want to take the kids to see Times Square and all that Manhattan has to offer! :) We're not looking for 5 star accommodations here but I do want some place that is newer (or newly renovated rooms) that's clean and easy enough to get to, and fairly easy to get into NYC using public transit.

So with that said, do you have any recommendations? Would Parsipanny or Secaucus be better for us?

Thanks!!

Chantal

If you don't mind someone other than Carol chiming in...you don't want to stay in Parsippany given your plans. It's about an hour from Manhattan. Fine if you're driving to NY the morning of the cruise to park at the pier, but not OK if you're going into the city for sightseeing one day and then looking to get to the pier via public transit the next.

Secaucus is much closer to the city and convenient to public transit such as NJ Transit trains that go into NY Penn Station.

Not long ago a poster stayed at Candlewood Suites in Secaucus, which has a stay/cruise package that includes parking for up to 10 days. They were happy with it.

Another possibility in Secaucus is the Embassy Suites, which has a package that includes parking and transportation to the cruise pier. You have to arrange for your own transportation back to the hotel after the cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks!!

Chantal

Parsipanny is too far out. It's perfect if you want good driving access to the Manhattan Cruiseport on Sunday morning, but not good if you want to leave your car or run into Manhattan. Secaucus is fine, but there are no hotels that offer park/ sleeps except for Embassy Suites, which is pricey for more than two people. Are you 4 or fewer people?

Some folks have posted about making private arrangements with Secaucus hotels to leave their car for a week, but these offers are not the web sites. Hyatt Place has been mentioned as being willing to do this.

It's $280 to park at the pier. You can get a park/sleep for 4 at Newark Airport at the Ramada Plaza through Trinityreservations.com for $157 tax included. They offer port transportation, but it would be $160 each way for 4 people, which is expensive. You can do better than that with a car service and definitely better by train or bus.

The main way to get to Manhattan from the airport is the train - $12.50 each way for adults and about $3.25 for children 11 and under. There is also an airport bus to the Times Square area for $28/rt for adults and children under 12 free. Older children are $10 each way. Airport bus would work well to get to the pier for a reasonable cost.

So look at the options and let us know what you think. Post back with more details like children's ages and budget.

Thanks Carol! We are a family of 4...kids are 12 and 10. After reading more posts I'm starting to think that it's a lot less hassle to just pay the $280 for the week at the port so we can start the drive back home right away with less stress.

So what would you suggest now in terms of a hotel with easy access to midtown for touristy stuff the Saturday before our cruise? We'd like to drive to the hotel Saturday morning and head out for site seeing with the kids. In terms of budget we're looking at up around $180 including parking but with that said I'd be happy with $200 or so if it meant more convenience.